ADVERTISEMENT

Something to ponder

bamladgle

All American
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2002
I do not think Bama would have won yesterday w/o Oats laying
down the law to players about reacting to calls by the officials.
Rojas is the best example-he went from griping on every call
to being a player and had his best game. Hope it lasts.

Reese is the worst to me about talking after fouls.
Not even close. Rojas is the worst on our team, and would give the Hurley brothers a run for their money as the worst I've ever seen. Rojas has never fouled anyone in his life. Don't believe it? Just ask him. Or better yet, watch the way he reacts to every whistle that goes against him.

Reactions: mowens75
Not even close. Rojas is the worst on our team, and would give the Hurley brothers a run for their money as the worst I've ever seen. Rojas has never fouled anyone in his life. Don't believe it? Just ask him. Or better yet, watch the way he reacts to every whistle that goes against him.
Either way we need to get a hold on all of the "chirping" after the calls.

Coach, All season I have seen Rojas guilty of losing his composure when he is called for a foul. All season Rojas has been called for two fouls, every time he commits a foul, the first being the foul and the second being what is going to happen immediately after the foul.

Officials are going to make bad calls and have off nights. Part of playing basketball is learning how to adjust your game to an official having a bad night. Alabama beat Miss State because the officials were letting the players engage in tackle basketball and Alabama said we can out muscle the most physical team in the conference, which the Tide did. The prime example was late in the game there was a scrum where all of the players went diving for the ball and a player undercut Gary, who landed on the sideline with the ball. In the Miss State game they awarded the ball to Alabama, instead of giving Gary foul shots. In the Arkansas game the exact same play resulted in Herb Jones fifth foul. As an official the foul on Herb was the correct call and the call on Gary was a just call, but an incorrect call. Gary got the call in part because he did not try to show up the official by protesting that he did not get the foul call. It is hard for an official to call a hustle foul on a scramble for the ball, but a foul is a foul.

The point is that when I was growing up playing, if a foul was called on a player, the player would have to acknowledge the foul call by extending his arm straight up. I cannot tell you how many fouls I stole for teammates, as it really didn't matter if I fouled out of a game. I never got to four, much less five fouls, so I was not afraid to steal one. If you raised your hand before the official called the number, he was likely to give you the call. The Referees are human and they will respond to human interaction, positive and negative.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
Coach, All season I have seen Rojas guilty of losing his composure when he is called for a foul. All season Rojas has been called for two fouls, every time he commits a foul, the first being the foul and the second being what is going to happen immediately after the foul.

Officials are going to make bad calls and have off nights. Part of playing basketball is learning how to adjust your game to an official having a bad night. Alabama beat Miss State because the officials were letting the players engage in tackle basketball and Alabama said we can out muscle the most physical team in the conference, which the Tide did. The prime example was late in the game there was a scrum where all of the players went diving for the ball and a player undercut Gary, who landed on the sideline with the ball. In the Miss State game they awarded the ball to Alabama, instead of giving Gary foul shots. In the Arkansas game the exact same play resulted in Herb Jones fifth foul. As an official the foul on Herb was the correct call and the call on Gary was a just call, but an incorrect call. Gary got the call in part because he did not try to show up the official by protesting that he did not get the foul call. It is hard for an official to call a hustle foul on a scramble for the ball, but a foul is a foul.

The point is that when I was growing up playing, if a foul was called on a player, the player would have to acknowledge the foul call by extending his arm straight up. I cannot tell you how many fouls I stole for teammates, as it really didn't matter if I fouled out of a game. I never got to four, much less five fouls, so I was not afraid to steal one. If you raised your hand before the official called the number, he was likely to give you the call. The Referees are human and they will respond to human interaction, positive and negative.

I wasn't saying that Rojas doesn't say anything. I was stating that I see Reese doing a lot chirping after he is called for a foul. It doesn't mean that I like one player over another, etc.... Being a fan I like all of them! I was watching the game with a friend that was a Hog fan and texting back in forth and he noticed how much we jawing at the refs....everyone pretty much. He also coaches.

Thanks for representing how it should be done as a player!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT