ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News Breakdown of Women's College World Series

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
The Sporting News is saying what we all know, Alabama has no stars and is the weakest hitting team in the field. All Alabama knows how to do is keep runs off the board. Sporting News analysis

Before the Tennessee series I said that if the Tide could keep Tennessee to two or less runs a game, we had a chance. I told people that our pitching staff was second to none and I stand by that statement. Beavers and Briski are as fine a one, two punch as anyone has on their team. Briski's performance against Tennessee was only topped by Beaver's performance against Tennessee. Tennessee was probably the third best hitting team in the Country and Alabama had the pitching to stop Tennessee. Now I know that Oklahoma State has Lexi, who we let get away and she will probably be player of the year this season, but our first two pitchers are capable of shutting down everyone, except Texas and Oklahoma and on a great day they can shut those two down. Scoring can be a real problem. If only we could use our newly acquired transfer, Alexis Pupillo, who only hit 19 homers for Northern Iowa this season. (we can't).

We have the pitching to win this thing, if we only can get a few runs. Each team left in the tournament has excellent pitching and Oklahoma State has the one that should be starting for us. If we can hold on to Briski and get a quality number two and add some big bats for next season, we might be able to transform into a team that can compete on a regular basis against Tennessee, Texas and Oklahoma. Being good enough to get to Oklahoma City may be nice, but winning championships is more important.

Alabama's pitching staff, with the third best ERA in the remaining field, does not have to apologize to anyone. Alabama is something like 220th in batting average and in this tournament 6 of the top 15 hitting teams in the country will be playing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News