ADVERTISEMENT

That drops Alabama to 1-3 vs ranked basketball teams this year ..

But don’t pretend like you wouldn’t have taken 1 win in the tournament in year 2 of Oats. We are far and away in a better spot than anyone dreamed of. And I’m guessing we’ve beat someone else that was ranked and isn’t anymore? At the end of the football season, when people talk down on Alabama’s schedule, we say well yah, these teams were ranked when we played them. And us beating them helped knock them out....
I’m not too high or too low on this team. I think if we get healthy at the right time and play well at the right time, we can do something.
I’ll take how the season has gone as a win. And it sounds like you probably will too. Whatever comes after making the tournament and being a high seed is a bonus. Oats has taken these guys that couldn’t dribble without kicking it out of bounds and has us a projected 2 seed.

Just throw this one out and move on. If we can get hot from the outside we can go deep. If we go cold could lose in the first round. Officiating was horrible and Hogs played hard. Just win the last two and get ready for the big dance. So nice to not be tracking last 4 in and last 4 out this year. Also nice to not be on probation and be 5-10 in the SEC.

The thing about Petty and Jones is that given all the years of experience neither play like BIG GAME PLAYERS consistently. Despite the fouls last night this Tide team simply have not played very well against equal or better competition and as much as I have hope for this team going forward, will not be surprised if we exit the SEC conference after playing two games and the NCAA probably the same thing. Thats saying a lot for a team that is projected as high as a One are Two seed.
Hope we Learn and Grow from the losses.

Oats has taken these guys that couldn’t dribble without kicking it out of bounds and has us a projected 2 seed.
Frustrating to see this type of play still manifest itself this late in the season. A lot of credit is due to Herb for the success of this team but last night, and a lot here lately, he just looks like he doesn't know what he is doing. It's one thing to try a Euro step and get called for a charge but to just run right over a guy who you can clearly see has position as you go charging towards the rim? Or to dive for a loose ball and take out a guys legs? How do you not know better? I'll chalk it up to frustration but some of these guys act like they were ready for the season to end last week.

If we can still hang on to a #2 seed I do think we can make it to the Sweet 16, because this team has proven they can win ugly against inferior competition and at worst we'd be playing a 15 and 7 seed in the first 2 rounds. My fear is once we run into a team with a dominate big man and we go cold from the 3 point line (like last 2 games) we'll lose ugly.

Reactions: StablerCountry
Oats has Bama on the right track and they are a very good team that honestly depending on if they get floor leadership from somebody and get some confidence and solid play, they have the potential to play into the round of 8, IMO. But if they continue to play as they have played basically since the Oklahoma game, they will probably be two and out in both the SEC and NCAA tourney. But I will take this season all day long compared to the last 30 seasons.

Just hate it that this team can’t find that next level of play all great teams find this deep into the season. Still have not won a ranked on ranked game in like 10 years or so.

I thought Petty and Herb should have shown more leadership last him in their style of play. Both have been mentioned as POY, but neither have shown it in the big games lately.

Again, I’m still very happy with this team over all compared to where Bama has been for last 30 years.

If we were losing these games at home, I’d be worried. Unfortunate that all the ranked games have been on the road. They weren’t ranked when it happened but Alabama beat Arkansas by 30 a few weeks ago. All the committee will see is we beat them and they’re ranked now. Like I’ve said before, everything that has happened so far wasnt expected so I’m taking the season as it goes. Just excited for what has happened and for the future

If we were losing these games at home, I’d be worried. Unfortunate that all the ranked games have been on the road. They weren’t ranked when it happened but Alabama beat Arkansas by 30 a few weeks ago. All the committee will see is we beat them and they’re ranked now. Like I’ve said before, everything that has happened so far wasnt expected so I’m taking the season as it goes. Just excited for what has happened and for the future

I get what your saying, but if we're being honest, due to COVID restrictions on crowds, I'd say road games this year are not much worse than a neutral site setting. If Bud Walton had 20k+ last night, we probably lose that game by 20+ points. As bad as they are this year UK doesn't lose as many home games as they have if Rupp is packed out.

Reactions: cola68 and dleet
When is the last time we played a game where we could say "man, we shoot like that and we're dangerous in the tournament."? Its been a while, a long while. We have clearly lost the "zone" on our shooting as a team. We're lucky to have 1 guy be on each game now. And Reese, yeesh.

When is the last time we played a game where we could say "man, we shoot like that and we're dangerous in the tournament."? Its been a while, a long while. We have clearly lost the "zone" on our shooting as a team. We're lucky to have 1 guy be on each game now. And Reese, yeesh.

What is more concerning to me than our 3 point shooting slump, is the play of Herb the last couple of games. To make any kind of run in the SEC or NCAA tourney's we'll need much better play from our best player.

Frustrating to see this type of play still manifest itself this late in the season. A lot of credit is due to Herb for the success of this team but last night, and a lot here lately, he just looks like he doesn't know what he is doing. It's one thing to try a Euro step and get called for a charge but to just run right over a guy who you can clearly see has position as you go charging towards the rim? Or to dive for a loose ball and take out a guys legs? How do you not know better? I'll chalk it up to frustration but some of these guys act like they were ready for the season to end last week.
Herb has too much on his plate. He gave us mrore than he had in him offensively for awhile. He’s not a point guard. He doesn’t need the ball in his hands that much and he doesn’t need the ball in his hands with the game on the line. But he’s been forced to do some of that bc JQ has struggled and nobody else can do it. The one thing I don’t understand with Herb is, why he doesn’t catch and shoot more of those open 3’s. He doesn’t handle the ball great. He’s not even an average finisher around the basket. I’ve said all year shooting the open 3 is his strength on offense. I don’t know what the analytics say but that’s what my eyes say. He had 2-3 charges last night and at least one he had a wide open 3 and drove it all the way to the rim into traffic where a defender drew a charge.
And I just wonder if sometimes the no midrange idea hurts people like Herb. A player can flash in the paint and get a shot inside the free throw line and that just seems like a good shot to me. But a Bama player has to kick it out or drive that to where they aren’t open anymore and it’s a contested “layup” or a charge.

Last edited:
Um against UGA a week and a half ago? Lol

I’m proud of the progress the program has made.

I don’t think this is a team that will win more than two games in the ncaa though
Anyone who didn't see last night's loss coming has been looking through crimson glasses. We haven't really played well in few weeks, with the exception of the Georgia game. Even that performance needs to be tempered a bit because the Dawgs are so woeful on defense. We barely eked out wins over the 2 worst teams in the league in South Carolina and Vanderbilt. We've now lost our last 3 games against ranked teams. Based on what I had seen from both us and Arkansas recently, I was expecting a double digit loss. Unfortunately, I was right. As much as I hate to say it, the Hogs are the best team in the SEC right now. Hopefully we cam still win the league title, but it's not gonna come easily. State is gonna give us fits Saturday. They're a bad matchup for us with their strength and physicality in the post, and they have two big strong guards who had their way with us last month. I said going in to this week that we would be fortunate to get a split. It's been a fun season so far, and I love seeing our name so high in the polls and bracket projections. We're not a top 10 team, however. We're probably closer to the 20-25 range, but that's still an improvement over where we've been in recent years.

With the way things came about last night, we had the perfect storm set up.
without griping about the refs, the numbers of free throws for each team should tell the story.
Herb trying to go to the basket after their defense was set time and time again were wasted possessions.
Shac needs to set up closer to the 3 point arc rather than being so deep on his 3 point attempts.
Primo doesn’t look like he is set before he takes a shot, needs to square up and let it fly.
Defense was ok, but several times we lost our man and he scored in the paint.
We all need to be thankful about where we are and what the coaching staff and this team has accomplished so far this year.
We are way ahead of last years team and ahead of most everyone’s expectation for this year.
Hopefully we can play like we’re capable of and get the offense rolling again.
Roll Tide!

Reactions: bet9
Um against UGA a week and a half ago? Lol
Yeah, you're right we did shoot well that game. I think some of us are still high off the LSU game in BR and have kind of a misconception that we have actually shot better than we have over a long haul. The norm has not been shooting lights out from 3. We just shoot ALOT of 3s.

How many free throws did they make out of the 43 attempts?

Anyone who didn't see last night's loss coming has been looking through crimson glasses. We haven't really played well in few weeks, with the exception of the Georgia game. Even that performance needs to be tempered a bit because the Dawgs are so woeful on defense. We barely eked out wins over the 2 worst teams in the league in South Carolina and Vanderbilt. We've now lost our last 3 games against ranked teams. Based on what I had seen from both us and Arkansas recently, I was expecting a double digit loss. Unfortunately, I was right. As much as I hate to say it, the Hogs are the best team in the SEC right now. Hopefully we cam still win the league title, but it's not gonna come easily. State is gonna give us fits Saturday. They're a bad matchup for us with their strength and physicality in the post, and they have two big strong guards who had their way with us last month. I said going in to this week that we would be fortunate to get a split. It's been a fun season so far, and I love seeing our name so high in the polls and bracket projections. We're not a top 10 team, however. We're probably closer to the 20-25 range, but that's still an improvement over where we've been in recent years.

This is the correct analysis of Bama. I’m very happy with the progress over the Bama of the last 20 years though. And I’ve enjoyed watching this team. And they are capable of getting hot and making a very big splash in the tournaments coming up.

Reactions: bet9 and cola68

I don’t think this is a team that will win more than two games in the ncaa though
giphy.gif

Cola, you can't think that way. There are tons of crappy teams that make it to the tournament. We are not a crappy team. We are a hard team to plan for and we still have an elite defense. That doesn't mean we won't struggle against big teams. I am more worried about MS State than a team like Arkansas. Bama is going to have a historic tournament this year.

The SEC Tournament is being played in Nashville, not at home, the NCAA games all played on the road and on top of that regardless at home or on the road we played before 4 or 5 thousand fans in Big Arenas . I do agree with you in that the future looks Bright for Bama Basketball. Maybe the light comes on for this team in that going forward they have to be strong coming out the gate and also finishing strong.

Reactions: bet9 and cola68

I hate to think it but Bama may have peaked last month and are going through the motions now.

Reactions: cola68
giphy.gif

Cola, you can't think that way. There are tons of crappy teams that make it to the tournament. We are not a crappy team. We are a hard team to plan for and we still have an elite defense. That doesn't mean we won't struggle against big teams. I am more worried about MS State than a team like Arkansas. Bama is going to have a historic tournament this year.
Y’all know my prediction history on here, right ??😃
You’re right. They can go on a run as easily as the other way

Reactions: bet9 and pfaud001
I will continue to say that I think Bama is far to much a 3 or drive team, there is absolutely NO midrange game and that is by design. I think that is a fatal flaw that will continue to manifest itself against good teams that can guard the perimeter.

There has been so many times doing these games that I see a player drive by a guy closing out on them hard only to get to basket and miss a contested layup. There are many good shooters on this team that could and should stop and take the OPEN 15 footer instead of missing a contested layup.

That in turn will cause the D to adjust and bring some of those big men away from the basket to get a hand in the face of the shooter taking the midrange shot, possibly leaving a chance to dump it off to someone under the basket.

There is also not enough off the ball screens and backdoor cutting, all things that I would think should be easier to get considering the D being stretched out to guard the 3pt line.

Reactions: Sweetlou10
giphy.gif

There was a time where we were playing elite defense, but not recently. In our last 4 games we have given up 78, 82, 78, and 81 points. 3 of those games were against teams that sit 10th, 13th, and 14th in the SEC standings.

Reactions: cola68 and Codie B
There was a time where we were playing elite defense, but not recently. In our last 4 games we have given up 78, 82, 78, and 81 points. 3 of those games were against teams that sit 10th, 13th, and 14th in the SEC standings.
Ouch. If we don't find the mojo again, we're gonna fizzle out in what was a very promising season a month ago.

Unfortunately, this is true, and I can’t find a good way to spin it.

Reactions: cola68
I will continue to say that I think Bama is far to much a 3 or drive team, there is absolutely NO midrange game and that is by design. I think that is a fatal flaw that will continue to manifest itself against good teams that can guard the perimeter.

There has been so many times doing these games that I see a player drive by a guy closing out on them hard only to get to basket and miss a contested layup. There are many good shooters on this team that could and should stop and take the OPEN 15 footer instead of missing a contested layup.

That in turn will cause the D to adjust and bring some of those big men away from the basket to get a hand in the face of the shooter taking the midrange shot, possibly leaving a chance to dump it off to someone under the basket.

There is also not enough off the ball screens and backdoor cutting, all things that I would think should be easier to get considering the D being stretched out to guard the 3pt line.
100 percent agree with this. I think as a philosophy Oats’ offensive structure is sound. But, if it becomes too rigid where players are not permitted to shoot a midrange jumper at all it becomes problematic. I’d rather have petty shooting jumpers from the elbow than trying to finish a layup through traffic any day of the week.

100 percent agree with this. I think as a philosophy Oats’ offensive structure is sound. But, if it becomes too rigid where players are not permitted to shoot a midrange jumper at all it becomes problematic. I’d rather have petty shooting jumpers from the elbow than trying to finish a layup through traffic any day of the week.
I don’t know the stats of free throw attempts. I think what makes Oats‘ offensive philosophy stand out not in a good way after this game is the 8 free throw attempts... could have easily been triple that.

That’s a great point. Defense has to get the magic back.

Reactions: Codie B
I don’t know the stats of free throw attempts. I think what makes Oats‘ offensive philosophy stand out not in a good way after this game is the 8 free throw attempts... could have easily been triple that.
Too many quick shots by Reese and Bama never got into the double bonus either half. And once Bama was in the one and one fouls stopped being called on the Hogs. Went back and watched some of this game- yes the Tide contributed to it’s own demise but the way this game was called by Show and company borders on being criminal.

Too many quick shots by Reese and Bama never got into the double bonus either half. And once Bama was in the one and one fouls stopped being called on the Hogs. Went back and watched some of this game- yes the Tide contributed to it’s own demise but the way this game was called by Show and company borders on being criminal.
The problem is almost all of Reese’s shots were wide open and worked within the flow of the offense. He needs to be able to take and make those. His misses killed us early.

The problem is almost all of Reese’s shots were wide open and worked within the flow of the offense. He needs to be able to take and make those. His misses killed us early.
They were open- Hogs did not think he would hit them and they were right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT