ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts After Alabama’s Loss to Gonzaga

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
What an incredibly, fun and exciting game that was. Unfortunately, Alabama’s curse in Birmingham continues as they were unable to defeat Gonzaga inside a raucous Legacy Arena.

Brandon Miller (36) is arguably the best scorer that has ever come through Alabama. He was incredible today, but unfortunately he and Jaden Bradley (18) were the only ones that showed up.

This will be the best offense that Alabama will play all season and losing Nimari really showed today. Ball rotations and defending the pick n roll wasn’t ideal, but Mark Few is an elite coach for a reason. They exploited weakness and Alabama did well adjusting, but Gonzaga just couldn’t miss. That happens in basketball.

Turnovers were another problem today and that’s what halted Alabama’s 20-11 run to start the game. It looked like one of those games where they couldn’t miss, but they went cold for a stretch that gave Gonzaga the momentum they kept.

Alabama had a great non conference stretch. They finished the tough stretch at 9-2, and will likely enter SEC play at 10-2. It has been a while since that has happened and will position Alabama well for a high seed.

Today is disappointing, but basketball can be that way sometimes. Gonzaga is still a really really good team that has played a very tough schedule too. They’ll end up a top 10 team at the end of the year. I hope Drew Timme graduates and Alabama never plays in Birmingham again.

What an incredibly, fun and exciting game that was. Unfortunately, Alabama’s curse in Birmingham continues as they were unable to defeat Gonzaga inside a raucous Legacy Arena.

Brandon Miller (36) is arguably the best scorer that has ever come through Alabama. He was incredible today, but unfortunately he and Jaden Bradley (18) were the only ones that showed up.

This will be the best offense that Alabama will play all season and losing Nimari really showed today. Ball rotations and defending the pick n roll wasn’t ideal, but Mark Few is an elite coach for a reason. They exploited weakness and Alabama did well adjusting, but Gonzaga just couldn’t miss. That happens in basketball.

Turnovers were another problem today and that’s what halted Alabama’s 20-11 run to start the game. It looked like one of those games where they couldn’t miss, but they went cold for a stretch that gave Gonzaga the momentum they kept.

Alabama had a great non conference stretch. They finished the tough stretch at 9-2, and will likely enter SEC play at 10-2. It has been a while since that has happened and will position Alabama well for a high seed.

Today is disappointing, but basketball can be that way sometimes. Gonzaga is still a really really good team that has played a very tough schedule too. They’ll end up a top 10 team at the end of the year. I hope Drew Timme graduates and Alabama never plays in Birmingham again.
Losing Burnett’s defense is being felt, and the turnover comparison is just killing us, but you aren’t beating teams who shoot 74.1% from the field in the 2nd half, and 67% from the 3. This is why NCAA tournament games are crap shoots at times.

Fyi. It feels like Timme has been there since I was in college. He is like a vampire. He is just around for centuries.

I hope Drew Timme graduates and Alabama never plays in Birmingham again.
Timme is definitely talented around the rim but man he has very little to no athleticism. And it certainly didn't help he didn't seem to miss much today. I mean the Zags shots 74% as a team in the 2nd half. I don't care who you're playing. If they shoot 70%+ you're going to lose.

And yes, we just don't seem to win in Bham.

Last edited:
Defense was just lacking all game. Too much space for shooters. Wide open looks.

Reactions: KJ454
Bama scored 90 points, shot 52% from the field, hit 20-24 from the line and out rebounded Zags by 7.
And lost by 10. Not sure one will ever see that again.
Yep/ defense did not bring it today.

Have maintained the tough schedule may wear this young team down some. Long season.

Why is it that noone leaves Gonzaga early and we have all these 1 and done players? How many years has Timme played? This is how you build a dynasty. Get your players to stay 3 and 4 years.

Yup all our great players leave after 1 or two years it seems.

Gonzaga made a LOT of points in the paint from 6' to 10' shots that were not contested from our defense. Also we were out schemed on defense by Gonzaga.
Their offense ran lots of screens and picks that left their shooters wide open and CNO for whatever reason decided we didn't need to take any timeouts to get the players to realize what Gonzaga was doing and how to correct our players.
The crowd was vocal enough for sure, but we really missed our student section.
Last but not least is the turnovers.W had 14 in the first half and Gonzaga had as many as Quinnerly (3). We didn't hustle for loose balls and play our hard hat game either.

Reactions: bet9 and jtr4dad
Why is it that noone leaves Gonzaga early and we have all these 1 and done players? How many years has Timme played? This is how you build a dynasty. Get your players to stay 3 and 4 years.
Timme was paid to stay. Upwards of a $1 million NIL. That will NEVER happen for a Bama basketball player.
Just like the National Player of the year last year from Kentucky- he receive $2.4 million to stay one more year instead of turning pro.

Reactions: bet9
Gonzaga made a LOT of points in the paint from 6' to 10' shots that were not contested from our defense. Also we were out schemed on defense by Gonzaga.
Their offense ran lots of screens and picks that left their shooters wide open and CNO for whatever reason decided we didn't need to take any timeouts to get the players to realize what Gonzaga was doing and how to correct our players.
Last but not least is the turnovers.W had 14 in the first half and Gonzaga had as many as Quinnerly (3). We didn't hustle for loose balls and play our hard hat game either.
Oats never uses time outs when needed to stop runs and adjust. Have never understood it.

Oats never uses time outs when needed to stop runs and adjust. Have never understood it.
I figured that one out today. He’s afraid he’s going to need them to get the ball inbounds. He will call a timeout to save us from a 5 second call. Then we use the timeout to come out and do the same thing.

Reactions: Codie B
I figured that one out today. He’s afraid he’s going to need them to get the ball inbounds. He will call a timeout to save us from a 5 second call. Then we use the timeout to come out and do the same thing.
The players call the time outs on in bound problems.

Losing Burnett’s defense is being felt, and the turnover comparison is just killing us, but you aren’t beating teams who shoot 74.1% from the field in the 2nd half, and 67% from the 3. This is why NCAA tournament games are crap shoots at times.

Fyi. It feels like Timme has been there since I was in college. He is like a vampire. He is just around for centuries.
Why isn’t he in the NBA? Crazy good touch on the ball. I haven’t watched Gonzaga all season and thought that with their record they had taken a step back. After watching them today I don’t believe that is the case.

More like 7 years. That dude is too old.

• Haha
You were giving Oats credit for calling a timeout/ seems the players call the TO on inbound problems.
Wasn’t my point. I was joking that he saves them for that bc we all know we are awful on inbounds. But he could be calling them at the same time. Most players don’t know when to call them in that situation.

Reactions: Codie B
There’s a reason that Gonzaga shot 74% in the second half and 57% for the game. Our defense was abysmal. As you noted, many of their mid range shots weren’t even contested. A team doesn’t shoot that well from the field against a team who is playing elite defense. We have given up 188 points in our last 2 games. If that’s not a school record, it has to be close to it. We’ve gotta fix that if we want to make a deep run in March and April.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
A lot of this has to do with an incredibly tough and exhausting stretch. You could tell the Memphis game the team was on tired legs. I’d take 9-2 in that first 11 games any day of the week. Now to rest up and hopefully get Welch back soon.
One could argue that Gonzaga has played an even tougher schedule. They have already faced Purdue, Texas, Baylor, and Kentucky. They also had to fly cross country to play us in a game that tipped off at 10:00 in their local time zone. We don’t need to use exhaustion as an issue. Our last game was 4 days ago. We just played poorly on the defensive end today and got our tails kicked. It would’ve really been bad if Miller hadn’t donned his Superman cape and almost singlehandedly kept us within striking distance. I like this team. I think its ceiling is very high. We have a lot of work to do to reach that ceiling.

One could argue that Gonzaga has played an even tougher schedule. They have already faced Purdue, Texas, Baylor, and Kentucky. They also had to fly cross country to play us in a game that tipped off at 10:00 in their local time zone. We don’t need to use exhaustion as an issue. Our last game was 4 days ago. We just played poorly on the defensive end today and got our tails kicked. It would’ve really been bad if Miller hadn’t donned his Superman cape and almost singlehandedly kept us within striking distance. I like this team. I think its ceiling is very high. We have a lot of work to do to reach that ceiling.
come march we will be rolling. i like a tough schedule like oats said it lets you know what you need to work on. if we stay healthy, we will be a hard out in the tourney.

Lost by 10 to a really good team. Bama just turned it over 21 times and that was 23 free points for the zags. I wouldn't say they got their tails kicked, more like handed them the win. This team needs to cut down turnovers, they win ever game besides UCONN if they cut the turnovers to 10 or less.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B
Miller really carried the team today. Without him going off we get obliterated and everyone is talking about "here we go again". Thanks to Miller its mostly talk about his huge game and how exciting the game was to be 100-90.

I didn't think we'd miss Burnett as much as we did but we desperately needed some defensive help. We just couldn't answer anything they were doing on offense and if we did we got called for a foul.

Along those lines I thought Oats and staff got schooled a bit. Few had something for about everything we did and we never found answers for what they were doing. Even Oats commented that the zags shut down Miller as the second half wound down and they didn't do a good job of finding a way to get Miller good opportunities.

Regardless, coming into the season going 4-2 against Mich St, UConn, UNC, Houston, Memphis, Gonzaga would have sounded like a crazy good start with us depending on so many freshman. Now we have one game between now and the 28th when SEC play starts. I hope we get legs back and figure out some rotations to counter matchups that aren't good for us without Burnett being available.

Wasn’t my point. I was joking that he saves them for that bc we all know we are awful on inbounds. But he could be calling them at the same time. Most players don’t know when to call them in that situation.
I'm pretty sure Oats said in his first couple seasons that he tries to hold timeouts because they have so much trouble handling late game in bounds. Apparently we aren't improving here in spite of a lot of talent cycles.

Maybe Oats and staff need to find some help to show the team how to in bound the ball.

In his defense Alabama basketball has been dreadful at in bounding the ball since Gottfried was here.

I'm pretty sure Oats said in his first couple seasons that he tries to hold timeouts because they have so much trouble handling late game in bounds. Apparently we aren't improving here in spite of a lot of talent cycles.

Maybe Oats and staff need to find some help to show the team how to in bound the ball.

In his defense Alabama basketball has been dreadful at in bounding the ball since Gottfried was here.
If it was only late game inbounds…

I will tell you guys one thing, I always find the opposing teams fans and thank them for making the trip down before and after the game. I probably spoke to 8-10 couples and they were ALL first class. They were super complimentary of our basketball team and 4-5 of the couples had never been to Alabama and said that they could not believe how nice people from our state are. They said they thought that the “southern hospitality “ was somewhat overblown, but now they know it to be true. I told them that I hope we get to play them again in March and most of them said they did not want to see us again.

ROLL TIDE!!!!

I believe Timme is a career student. It seems he has been there forever. Bediako was useless against him.

Timme is receiving his Social Security checks at Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT