ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama’s 78-67 Win Over #21 Miss St

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Early on you could see why this Mississippi State team was a top 10 defensive team nationally. They made everything tough for Alabama and played very physical. Remind you of a specific game? It reminded me of the Houston game. That game it took Alabama a while to get going offensively, but ultimately took over.

Alabama was leading 13-10 with 9 minutes left in the first half and ultimately went into halftime up 34-30. After that, Alabama started to pull away leading by as many as 17 in the second half to roll to a double digit Quad 1 win on the road.

Mark Sears led the team with 20 points and put an exclamation point with a 35 footer with a minute to go. Brandon Miller with another double double scoring 19 points and 11 boards. It was great welcoming Dom Welch to fold and he showed how good he can be defensively. The guy who showed up when needed was Nick Pringle scoring 10 points in 20 minutes of play. He did a great job on Tolu Smith and can match most any player physically in the paint.

Overall it was a great win for Alabama. That arena was very hostile and was ultimately silenced early in the second half and they never got a chance to get back into it.

Early on you could see why this Mississippi State team was a top 10 defensive team nationally. They made everything tough for Alabama and played very physical. Remind you of a specific game? It reminded me of the Houston game. That game it took Alabama a while to get going offensively, but ultimately took over.

Alabama was leading 13-10 with 9 minutes left in the first half and ultimately went into halftime up 34-30. After that, Alabama started to pull away leading by as many as 17 in the second half to roll to a double digit Quad 1 win on the road.

Mark Sears led the team with 20 points and put an exclamation point with a 35 footer with a minute to go. Brandon Miller with another double double scoring 19 points and 11 boards. It was great welcoming Dom Welch to fold and he showed how good he can be defensively. The guy who showed up when needed was Nick Pringle scoring 10 points in 20 minutes of play. He did a great job on Tolu Smith and can match most any player physically in the paint.

Overall it was a great win for Alabama. That arena was very hostile and was ultimately silenced early in the second half and they never got a chance to get back into it.
I know Tolu is not the same player as Timme, but the way they harassed Tolu is what Bama needed to do to Timme. Between that and making them play our game in the second half was huge. Still need to cut down on turnovers even though for some reason last night it didn't feel like we had 17 turnovers.

With their first SEC road victory, the team showed it has the mental toughness to play anyone anywhere and win. The thing that strikes me is how well they close. If Oats can keep them grounded, and I believe he can, this is a final four team.

l was told before the season started that Pringle could jump out of the gym. Springs in his legs. This has turned out to be true. Not sure who told me, but l think Pop said, Xcop told him. Not for sure on the source. Could have come from the barbershop.

l was told before the season started that Pringle could jump out of the gym. Springs in his legs. This has turned out to be true. Not sure who told me, but l think Pop said, Xcop told him. Not for sure on the source. Could have come from the barbershop.
Yeah when he dunked that assist from Miller I thought it had to be Clowney to do that against their bigs. Was shocked it was Pringle. He got up in a hurry.

What is making Pringle a solid addition, is that, he knows his role, and plays to his strengths. This is where Gurly gets into trouble. He is out there throwing up bricks from beyond the arc, and trying to handle the ball too much, when it is clear that is not his strength. Gurly can be a solid player, if he would play a role more like Pringle does. You could make a similar argument for Miles.

What is making Pringle a solid addition, is that, he knows his role, and plays to his strengths. This is where Gurly gets into trouble. He is out there throwing up bricks from beyond the arc, and trying to handle the ball too much, when it is clear that is not his strength. Gurly can be a solid player, if he would play a role more like Pringle does. You could make a similar argument for Miles.
Well said!

Reactions: Codie B
Pringle brings some size and toughness too.
It's really the same thing with Q as you describe with Gurly. If he plays to his strengths and is a drive and dish as a first option, he can be really valuable. Playing to your role on the team for a few guys is what could take us deep into the tournament.

Agreed, His passing on the drive is non existent either. When he drives to the basket is when he turns it over the most.

I think JQ is best served as a catch and shoot guy right now. His catch and shoot % is really good. He just tries to do too much when its in his hands. Bradley can create for him, so playing off ball is best for JQ
Yes. I agree with this too. He is good catch and shoot and bad creating his own shot.

I think i mentioned on here last week that Pringle is the most athletic physically gifted player on this team and if he got going......watch out! This team has crazy depth! Which is great because the SEC still seems to call the worst calls in the country on away teams every game!

JQ, when he plays within his game, can be the leader this team needs. Sometime he tries to take the team on his back when he just needs to utilize the tools he has on this team. I thought this game was his best as far as being the leader we need.
l think JQ will get things straightened out. He is a very important piece to the puzzle for us to go deep into the March tournaments.

Got to get his game together and quit trying to do to much. l think he will by the way.

l think JQ will get things straightened out. He is a very important piece to the puzzle for us to go deep into the March tournaments.

Got to get his game together and quit trying to do to much. l think he will by the way.
I hope you are right, because the ‘20-‘21 JQ would be a huge difference maker for this team. If he, honestly, got all the way back to that level of play, I think we might be the best team in the country. I don’t have your faith, because there is a large difference between his play now vs then, but I truly hope you are right.

Reactions: lainey2020

He's a piece but not very important. He's not gonna change with how he dribbles into trouble, drives into traffic with no clue what he's gonna do when he gets under the rim. He's always played like he's on a play ground and that's not what this team needs. As Harper said he needs to catch and shoot and he could become pretty valuable.

Hope you're right. Pre-injury Q was hell on wheels. Whelch needs to keep shooting and sooner or later shots will start falling through the hoop.

Reactions: lainey2020
He's a piece but not very important. He's not gonna change with how he dribbles into trouble, drives into traffic with no clue what he's gonna do when he gets under the rim. He's always played like he's on a play ground and that's not what this team needs. As Harper said he needs to catch and shoot and he could become pretty valuable.
l think JQ had a much better game against Ole Miss. Looking forward to continued improvement as he recovers from his injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT