ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama’s Tough Win Over LSU

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
This was an odd game all around. For the whole game, Alabama controlled everything but the FTs kept LSU in it early having a +11 FT advantage the first 10 minutes. They ended up +10 on FTs or the game would’ve been a blowout. Alabama never led by more than 12 as LSU played one of their better games in conference play to keep it close. This game came down to talent and Alabama just had a deeper pool of talent.

Brandon Miller got his 4th foul with 10 minutes left in the game with only 9 points as he was kept in check by the zebras. Along with Miller, Alabama had five players finish in double figures (Clowney, Sears, Griffen, and Burnett). Burnett carried the team early and has been playing the way he was when he was a five start McDonald’s AA out of high school. Rylan Griffen also hit a few BIG threes to keep LSU out of reach in the second half. Burnett and Griffen combined to go 7-12 from three today and they showed why they will be very important moving forward.

Alabama’s defense wasn’t great today, but the refs called a quick whistle on them, while LSU got away with more contact. They took bad angles to the ball, got lost a few times, and couldn’t stop Fountain. It’s tough to get up for a team they just destroyed a couple weeks ago, but I thought they did a good enough job to make it where this game didn’t feel in danger of flipping to LSU.

I will put something out there that I think Oats should start Burnett over Bradley. I thought he’s doing a great job scoring, facilitating, and his defense is superb. Take some pressure off Bradley moving forward and maybe things will start to slow down for him.

Alabama plays Florida next before a trip to Auburn on Saturday

This was an odd game all around. For the whole game, Alabama controlled everything but the FTs kept LSU in it early having a +11 FT advantage the first 10 minutes. They ended up +10 on FTs or the game would’ve been a blowout. Alabama never led by more than 12 as LSU played one of their better games in conference play to keep it close. This game came down to talent and Alabama just had a deeper pool of talent.

Brandon Miller got his 4th foul with 10 minutes left in the game with only 9 points as he was kept in check by the zebras. Along with Miller, Alabama had five players finish in double figures (Clowney, Sears, Griffen, and Burnett). Burnett carried the team early and has been playing the way he was when he was a five start McDonald’s AA out of high school. Rylan Griffen also hit a few BIG threes to keep LSU out of reach in the second half. Burnett and Griffen combined to go 7-12 from three today and they showed why they will be very important moving forward.

Alabama’s defense wasn’t great today, but the refs called a quick whistle on them, while LSU got away with more contact. They took bad angles to the ball, got lost a few times, and couldn’t stop Fountain. It’s tough to get up for a team they just destroyed a couple weeks ago, but I thought they did a good enough job to make it where this game didn’t feel in danger of flipping to LSU.

I will put something out there that I think Oats should start Burnett over Bradley. I thought he’s doing a great job scoring, facilitating, and his defense is superb. Take some pressure off Bradley moving forward and maybe things will start to slow down for him.

Alabama plays Florida next before a trip to Auburn on Saturday
Agree about Bradley. Oats must have spoken to him about the excessive dribbling, but he still does somewhat. He needs to finish at the rim because he's about 50/50 at the FT line.
Burnett and Griffen have definitely stepped up their game. Burnett was red hot in the first half and Oats pulled him. All-in-all it was a good road win and they remain undefeated in SEC play.

Agree about Bradley. Oats must have spoken to him about the excessive dribbling, but he still does somewhat. He needs to finish at the rim because he's about 50/50 at the FT line.
Burnett and Griffen have definitely stepped up their game. Burnett was red hot in the first half and Oats pulled him. All-in-all it was a good road win and they remain undefeated in SEC play.
Bradley is 72% at the FT, not sure where you get 50/50. Oats need to have a talk with JQ and Sears about driving and just trying to throw something up and it gets swatted 75% of the time.

Reactions: WAR_GA
Bradley’s production is waning some, imop, because the defense knows he is not a good shooter, so they lay off him, reducing his ability to find a lane to drive into the paint for easier baskets. You can see he is forcing things more on his drive that just aren’t there like they were earlier in the year, and he doesn’t have JQ’s quickness to help either. We have, also, seen how Clowney’s offensive game suffered when he went into his horrific outside shooting slump. We saw JQ all of a sudden start playing better when he started hitting his outside shots more consistently. This forced the defense to come out on him, allowing him to exploit them with his quickness, giving him easier access to the rim. It gets A LOT easier to defend a player if you know they have a real liability or weakness.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT