ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama Dismantling Kentucky 78-52

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
What am emphatic win where if you didn't believe that Alabama was good, you believe now. Alabama played incredibly defense, didn't turn the ball over, and got a balanced scoring effort.

Alabama started off to a very quick start on a 11-2 run, before it becoming a 16-15 game halfway through the first half. It was a nip and tuck game for a while, but Alabama had an 8-2 run at the end of the half to take a 35-24 lead into half time. After halftime, it was all Alabama outscoring UK 43-28. Kentucky dominated the offensive boards 20-8 and won the overall rebounding battle, but held UK to 28% shooting. I didn't think Alabama played a flawless game, but their gameplan sure was in bringing Oscar out to the perimeter and make him defend ball screens. Early on Charles and Noah dominated him on the roll and that is why he played sparingly the whole game.

Brandon Miller started slow, but showed why he will likely be a top 5 pick in the NBA draft with his speed, athleticism, and his incredible shooting and touch around the rim. Mark Sears played a great game as usual, but Quinerly has strung together a few great games together. He has become that third PG that Alabama desperately needed and has been incredible breaking down the defense.

Alabama faces another tough test next week at Arkansas, but Alabama showed today that they are at the top of the SEC right now and sent a message.

What am emphatic win where if you didn't believe that Alabama was good, you believe now. Alabama played incredibly defense, didn't turn the ball over, and got a balanced scoring effort.

Alabama started off to a very quick start on a 11-2 run, before it becoming a 16-15 game halfway through the first half. It was a nip and tuck game for a while, but Alabama had an 8-2 run at the end of the half to take a 35-24 lead into half time. After halftime, it was all Alabama outscoring UK 43-28. Kentucky dominated the offensive boards 20-8 and won the overall rebounding battle, but held UK to 28% shooting. I didn't think Alabama played a flawless game, but their gameplan sure was in bringing Oscar out to the perimeter and make him defend ball screens. Early on Charles and Noah dominated him on the roll and that is why he played sparingly the whole game.

Brandon Miller started slow, but showed why he will likely be a top 5 pick in the NBA draft with his speed, athleticism, and his incredible shooting and touch around the rim. Mark Sears played a great game as usual, but Quinerly has strung together a few great games together. He has become that third PG that Alabama desperately needed and has been incredible breaking down the defense.

Alabama faces another tough test next week at Arkansas, but Alabama showed today that they are at the top of the SEC right now and sent a message.
A great team win.

At 16-15, I really thought Ky’s defensive game plan was going to be an effective one.

As a fan I fast forwarded to 52-50 type grind it out game.

To Bama’s credit and I think a reflection on their team, bama kept pulling away.

Defensively bama looks in sync.

idk if it’s the depth or the length of all of the above.

Surprised KY outrebounded bama. In hindsight they did nothing with the offensive ones

Absolutely tremendous win! I believe it may be Alabama’s largest margin of victory ever against Kentucky. RTR! Thanks so much Jordan for a great report!
It was actually the second largest victory margin for us against Kentucky. We beat them by 34 points, 51-17, in the 1933/34 season. I’m old, but not quite old enough to have witnessed that game in person.

I just saw them put it all together for the first time. This team has the talent to be the best Bama team I have seen in my life and I have seen many games and many great players. Miller is the total package with a supporting cast that can take us far. Hopefully, coach can keep them focused.

They certainly looked like a Final Four team today! And did you hear the commentators saying Texas should go after Nate Oates? Greg Byrne needs to open the bank and do whatever’s necessary to keep him at Alabama.
I have been keeping up with that search for this reason and him saying that was the first time I have seen anyone say Oats talking about the Texas job. MSU is the only school I think we really have to worry about. Hopefully Izzo coach’s another 20 years.

Guys Wimp had said that UK was an average team. I think they proved that today . I really don't understand how they could be so bad. Saying that they are still UK and we really embarrassed them. I'm thinking that without a big turnaround Cal is gone after this year.

Great WIN! We owe the cats about 50 more of these!

The scary thing is there were long stretches where we weren't really playing our best ball. We just played good enough defense to make up for being a bit out of sync on offense. Getting Oscar off his game really hurt the cats. They have to have that reliable 17+ points and 10+ boards guy that can always be counted on for an easy 2 in a bad stretch. Bediako and our inside guys really took Oscar out of his game.

Its exciting and a little strange to see a Bama basketball team that looks this good. I mean, we're big when we need to be with length enough for anyone we play. We're able to light it up from 3 point when just a few guys get warm out there. We can go small and really run the court. We can do a little hack-a-shack if we have to due to being 10+ deep in guys that can play.

If we ever get that true 40 minute great game by everyone we'll be capable of beating anyone.

Watching the replay now and I want to go back and slap Dykes for begging the shorthorns to call Oats. stfu lol.

Guys Wimp had said that UK was an average team. I think they proved that today . I really don't understand how they could be so bad. Saying that they are still UK and we really embarrassed them. I'm thinking that without a big turnaround Cal is gone after this year.
IMO Cal is gone no matter what he does. His recruiting isn't anywhere near what it was for a decade. His teams have had at least one huge hole in their game for years now. NIL and the portal has really hurt his recruiting game on top of it having slipped a lot for a few years.

It's also hurt him that the SEC is pretty good at round ball these days. 10 years ago the league was his Cats the Gators and not much else. It's competitive now.

IMO Cal is gone no matter what he does. His recruiting isn't anywhere near what it was for a decade. His teams have had at least one huge hole in their game for years now. NIL and the portal has really hurt his recruiting game on top of it having slipped a lot for a few years.

It's also hurt him that the SEC is pretty good at round ball these days. 10 years ago the league was his Cats the Gators and not much else. It's competitive now.
Not that I care to defend Cal, but they do have the highest ranked incoming recruiting class.

Reactions: TideFever
Not that I care to defend Cal, but they do have the highest ranked incoming recruiting class.
Maybe he does but their fans are beyond tired of him. So many supremely talented teams that couldn't win a tournament and now they don't even look capable of being a sweet 16 team. If you could get an honest answer from 1000 'Cat season ticket holders I would bet on 750 or more are ready for a change.

Oats talked about it yesterday with their fans not being happy but it's more than a little grouching about losing a game or two. A lot of cat fans were ready to see him gone two years ago when we swept them and won the regular season and conference tournament.

For some reason l was thinking Kentucky gave Cal a lifetime contract. Probably wrong, but l do wonder what his contract looks like and what his buyout is.

Reactions: bet9 and xcop
Cal doesn't appear to have a team full of one-and-done(s). He is being out recruited by individuals like Oats.

Fantastic game plan by Nate and the staff. Chuck played great and continues to get better every game. Spears amazes me more every week, the young man is a baller!! We couldn’t ask any more from the 5 new comers. They’re no longer freshman! They are playing above expectations. The greatest things about this team is their unselfish play and their depth.

The fans in Lexington are getting more restless. Lost at home to the worst team in the league and fans are being booted for signs begging Cal to go to Texas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT