ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama Dominating #15 Arkansas 84-69

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
I don't like mentioning I am right a lot (because I am not), but I told you all in my scout notes that Arkansas was a poor shooting team. They shot 2-10 from 3 and 65% from the FT line. Alabama's sag defense worked extremely well and their length caused so many problems. The refs made most of the game about them with 45 combined fouls called and 59 free throws shot, but overall it was a very competitive game.

In the first half, Arkansas faceguarded Brandon Miller and he didn't half a single shot attempt, yet was tied 33-33. Nate Oats made an awesome adjustment on getting Miller the ball more, and he ended up with 14 points on 4 shots. Mark Sears is incredible. He shot 10-10 from the FT line and scored 26 points with 3 steals. He has become a very good two way player and has carried the team at times. Noah Clowney also played a great game, especially when Bediako picked up his 4th foul in the second half. He led a mini-run that put Alabama back up by 11 and it never got close again.

Alabama is a better team all-around than Arkansas and you saw that tonight. They're deeper, more talented, and can shoot a lot better as well. You just had to hope the stage wasn't too big for them, but they have been battle tested so much that this doesn't faze them anymore. What a win for the Tide.

I don't like mentioning I am right a lot (because I am not), but I told you all in my scout notes that Arkansas was a poor shooting team. They shot 2-10 from 3 and 65% from the FT line. Alabama's sag defense worked extremely well and their length caused so many problems. The refs made most of the game about them with 45 combined fouls called and 59 free throws shot, but overall it was a very competitive game.

In the first half, Arkansas faceguarded Brandon Miller and he didn't half a single shot attempt, yet was tied 33-33. Nate Oats made an awesome adjustment on getting Miller the ball more, and he ended up with 14 points on 4 shots. Mark Sears is incredible. He shot 10-10 from the FT line and scored 26 points with 3 steals. He has become a very good two way player and has carried the team at times. Noah Clowney also played a great game, especially when Bediako picked up his 4th foul in the second half. He led a mini-run that put Alabama back up by 11 and it never got close again.

Alabama is a better team all-around than Arkansas and you saw that tonight. They're deeper, more talented, and can shoot a lot better as well. You just had to hope the stage wasn't too big for them, but they have been battle tested so much that this doesn't faze them anymore. What a win for the Tide.
Sears is a glue guy with major scoring skills.

Miller hit those threes and hushed the crowd - I haven’t seen a prettier shot this year. What a stroke !

My mvp was Clowney though .. he led the charge tonight and knocked down some great shots in the pick and pop

This team is built different

This team keeps impressing me by doing something Bama basketball teams just don't do. This time, in spite of losing our composure a bit in the first half and barking with the pigs a bit we kept it together down the stretch. That was just cold blooded execution when Clowney, Miller, and Bediako went on the 13-0 run to essentially put the game away. That gym sounded quiet enough to have a conversation from opposite sides of the gym.

It's been said many times here and elsewhere but this Bama team is just built different. We aren't used to seeing it wearing our Crimson and White.

So many tools in the box when one isn't working well. So dialed in and focused that bad stretches don't crush them. We've had so many teams go to Fayettenam and be in the almost exact same place with the score 65-63 and then proceed to completely crap themselves in the last few minutes. Pick a team from 1997 to 2019 and everyone of them would have ended up on the wrong end of that final score.

I thought I was about to lose a TV though when Oats kept letting the hogs run at us there from 65-56 to 65-63 and we were being stupid with the ball. Should've called a timeout at around 6:30 mark but almost waited until the under 4. When we came back though we burried them.

They have to guard against having a bad night against a hot shooting team but that game in Knoxville on Feb 15 is looking like it might be intense on a different level. Hopefully we're healthy going into it because we may need every tool sharp and ready to go. It's also after we go the barn. So potentially our toughest remaining 2 game stretch.

I would also add that overall the game was as evenly called as I've ever seen for a Bama team in Bud Walton. A few times it even felt like we were getting some help from the refs. Too many fouls called overall but we ended up shooting more free throws.

I also thought the officials did a good job of keeping the game in check without turning it into a technical foul fest. It could have gotten ugly there in the first half. They slow played the tense moments, gave one double tech, and mostly simmered tempers enough to finish the half.

Sears is a glue guy with major scoring skills.

Miller hit those threes and hushed the crowd - I haven’t seen a prettier shot this year. What a stroke !

My mvp was Clowney though .. he led the charge tonight and knocked down some great shots in the pick and pop

This team is built different
Sears is a special player. Kinda reminds me of Pettway. Always finding a way to help out…offensively or defensively. i can see his confidence growing with each game.

What he said ^^^

Reactions: pfaud001
I don't feel like we beat Arkansas, I feel like we beat the refs. Bama was 30 points better than Arkansas.

Good game for the refs, they called a lot fouls, controlled the tempo but we put their whistles up with those 3 consecutive 3s.
the last one was a dagger. I thought I heard the Arkansas crowd gasp when that one went in

Reactions: Codie B
I would also add that overall the game was as evenly called as I've ever seen for a Bama team in Bud Walton. A few times it even felt like we were getting some help from the refs. Too many fouls called overall but we ended up shooting more free throws.

I also thought the officials did a good job of keeping the game in check without turning it into a technical foul fest. It could have gotten ugly there in the first half. They slow played the tense moments, gave one double tech, and mostly simmered tempers enough to finish the half.
The officials severely impeded the flow for much of the game. I'm with you, though. I thought we were the beneficiary of a few whistles, as well as a few non-calls. We ended up shooting 36 free throws to their 23. That's a complete 180 from what an opponent usually gets at Arkansas.

The officials severely impeded the flow for much of the game. I'm with you, though. I thought we were the beneficiary of a few whistles, as well as a few non-calls. We ended up shooting 36 free throws to their 23. That's a complete 180 from what an opponent usually gets at Arkansas.
It irks me how the refs will call ticky-tac fouls and ignore complete maulings.

Reactions: Codie B
That run by Clowney and Miller. Bud Walton fell completely silent. We have been on the other side of it before and it is so awful. Love to give it to old Muss. He looks like he has an unpleasant odor. He has that face that you just want to punch.

I don't feel like we beat Arkansas, I feel like we beat the refs. Bama was 30 points better than Arkansas.

Good game for the refs, they called a lot fouls, controlled the tempo but we put their whistles up with those 3 consecutive 3s.
Exactly. The stripes had to be wondering how that one slipped away. They worked so hard at making it one of those games where there's no way to figure out who the best basketball team is, or to simply play the game. They hardly played a possession + transition without stopping play. Horrible way to do basketball.

Love hearing that place go dead silent though after our threes. They couldn't fight it anymore. This bama team may have what it takes. Should be a fun couple months we have ahead.

Last edited:
The best part about this team is that JQ should be 100% back to normal soon, Welch is working his way into playing shape and Barnett should be coming back within the next few weeks. This team can be extremely scary come March if everything keeps trending. The team depth along could be good for 2 wins in the tournament....RTR!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT