ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama's 91-88 Win Over Memphis

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Alabama gutted out a hard fought victory over a very good Memphis team last night. It was a game where neither team could take control and it was a tug and pull match most of the game. In the second half, Alabama led for most of it and ended up hitting crucial free throws to pull out a 3 point win. Kendric Davis is arguably the best player in the country and he showed that last night. Alabama missed Burnett's lockdown defense, but overall I thought Bradley played solid defense on him. Davis just hit some really difficult shots at time.

I was very impressed with Alabama last night. It would've been very easy to be satisfied with the win over Houston on Saturday and take the night off, but they fought hard to get another quality win. You could tell they looked tired and like they were sleepwalking the first half, but the second half they really kicked it into gear. They shot 48% from the field, 37% from 3, and 72% from the line which are all very good percentages. The turnovers killed Alabama for a lot of the game, mainly the first half, but to score 91 points on 54 shots is very impressive.

The minute rotation I thought was very solid last night. Nine players logged 10+ minutes and they all contributed in different ways. Brandon Miller broke out of his min slump scoring 24 points after scoring 24 combined the past two games on 4/29 shooting. He is something special when he gets going. Mark Sears has become that second scorer behind Miller on a nightly basis scoring 18 points. The two guys I'm continually impressed with are Jaden Bradley and Noah Clowney. They play so hard and do so many things that translate to winning that they're the X factors for the team. Bradley is being asked to guard their best player and run the offense for 20+ minutes and finished with a positive +/-. Clowney is a swiss army knife where he defends, rebounds, blocks shots, hits threes, and can finish around the rim. He affects the game in ways Herb Jones used to.

Alabama now has one more big test before they begin conference play in Gonzaga on Saturday. Expect another dogfight and tug of war battle.

Excellent write up Harp. This team has grit and the younsters aren't afraid of anyone. Pardon the pun, but I will roll with the Tide on Saturday. It seems when one player is not having a good outing, someone else steps up. In-other-words, they have each other's backs.

Thanks Harp, your post seems to sum it up nicely.
It appears this team will be ready to play each game before them. I was very concerned with Burnette's injury with Davis coming to Coleman. He did lay 30 on us, but I thought Bradley did a good job on him. With Gonzaga coming up Saturday, and the last game of the gauntlet non-conference schedule CNO loves to arrange, this Bama squad can see the light at the end of this tunnel and will be ready for them.

Alabama gutted out a hard fought victory over a very good Memphis team last night. It was a game where neither team could take control and it was a tug and pull match most of the game. In the second half, Alabama led for most of it and ended up hitting crucial free throws to pull out a 3 point win. Kendric Davis is arguably the best player in the country and he showed that last night. Alabama missed Burnett's lockdown defense, but overall I thought Bradley played solid defense on him. Davis just hit some really difficult shots at time.

I was very impressed with Alabama last night. It would've been very easy to be satisfied with the win over Houston on Saturday and take the night off, but they fought hard to get another quality win. You could tell they looked tired and like they were sleepwalking the first half, but the second half they really kicked it into gear. They shot 48% from the field, 37% from 3, and 72% from the line which are all very good percentages. The turnovers killed Alabama for a lot of the game, mainly the first half, but to score 91 points on 54 shots is very impressive.

The minute rotation I thought was very solid last night. Nine players logged 10+ minutes and they all contributed in different ways. Brandon Miller broke out of his min slump scoring 24 points after scoring 24 combined the past two games on 4/29 shooting. He is something special when he gets going. Mark Sears has become that second scorer behind Miller on a nightly basis scoring 18 points. The two guys I'm continually impressed with are Jaden Bradley and Noah Clowney. They play so hard and do so many things that translate to winning that they're the X factors for the team. Bradley is being asked to guard their best player and run the offense for 20+ minutes and finished with a positive +/-. Clowney is a swiss army knife where he defends, rebounds, blocks shots, hits threes, and can finish around the rim. He affects the game in ways Herb Jones used to.

Alabama now has one more big test before they begin conference play in Gonzaga on Saturday. Expect another dogfight and tug of war battle.
Davis was a one man wrecking crew. Very impressive and he creates separation on some incredible defenders and also went in the paint and finished .. incredible.

I thought Memphis did some really good things in their half court offense and then Davis took over late.

If Memphis stays healthy, they could be a force.

Kudos to Jaden. He showed some flashes and some youth..but this team is just so impressive at times.

This is the best collection of bama players I’ve seen since some of wimp’s teams and his were not this deep.

Get healthy Burnett !

I think the environment was pretty good last night too. For a mid December game when school is out and many students have gone home, the place had good attendance and very involved in the game. I know this is a broken record, but the people in the chairs down by the floor are so lame. Why do you want to be that close to the action and sit the whole time and sit on your hands?
We better get moving on renovations or we'll end up losing Oats.

Thanks Jordan. This is my first visit, and I enjoyed your analysis very much. I had posted about the awful attendance. I live in Arkansas now, and they are just amazing in the fan support category. Yes they have more tradition than we do but 19,000 a night in Fayetteville just boggles the mind!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT