ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama's Close Win Against Miss St

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Whew. At the end of the year, they just look at wins and losses, and that is what we will have to do with this game. We knew Miss St had a top 20 defense in the country and we didn't play all that good at their place 8 games ago, but Alabama found a way. Tonight, Miss St played their hearts out in the first half dominating Alabama on both ends of the floor.

Alabama shot 5-28 from 3, but most of them were open looks that they just didn't knock down. What was the encouraging stat was Alabama going 19-22 from the FT line. That is what won the game for them. What would you have said 5 years ago if I told you that in the near future, Alabama would be winning games because of free throw shooting? It has been a big boost to the team.

It looked like Miss St came into the game with something to prove and Alabama came in cocky. They got knocked in the mouth early, going down by as many as 12 before trailing by 7 at half. It was nip and tuck for 10 minutes in the 2nd half before Alabama started taking control. They went up 8 with 2 min to go before Miss St made it interesting, thanks to Alabama forgetting how to play basketball, and had a chance to tie at the buzzer.

In conclusion, Alabama didn't lose and they remain undefeated at 8-0 in conference. They have some favorable conference games for the next two weeks before the week before Auburn (who lost big time tonight) and Tennessee on the road. They have an Oklahoma team that can beat Alabama, but has been very up and down all season. These are the games Pre-Oats teams would've lost. It's just something about his teams, when his guys have the right attitude, that just never go away.

This is a 2nd half team that can get knocked in the mouth and still keep playing till they find a way. Not seen that out of too many Bama teams in the last 35 years.
They will need this strong attitude in February. @auburn, @tennessee and @texasam will be three very tough games with March atmosphere. Not counting auburn @home and florida @home

@Jordan Harper

Do you know what happened to Burnett? Was in early and playing tough defense and then I don't recall seeing him after that. Please tell me he wasn't injured.

Also, what are your thoughts on how weak Bediako has been playing as of late. He's been getting pushed around on the low block, out hustled and he's been slow to get the ball up on his few attempts at the basket. He was definitely a liability again tonight.

That was a great win. Learned that we're not invincible and didn't have to lose to learn it. RTR.

Reactions: lainey2020
@Jordan Harper

Do you know what happened to Burnett? Was in early and playing tough defense and then I don't recall seeing him after that. Please tell me he wasn't injured.

Also, what are your thoughts on how weak Bediako has been playing as of late. He's been getting pushed around on the low block, out hustled and he's been slow to get the ball up on his few attempts at the basket. He was definitely a liability again tonight.
Bediako has definitely had a few off games of late. Clowney and Bradley have seemed to hit a bit of a freshman wall as well. It is over halfway through the season so fatigue could be setting in a bit, but Bediako is only asked to protect the rim, catch lobs, and rebound. As of late, he has not done much of that.

This was a hard game to gauge, because of how much State controlled the tempo and just had better ball control for more than a half of basketball. I couldn't figure out if it was us or if they were playing that far above their record. I think it was more of the latter, but their aggression ran out. Fouls caught up with them and we picked it up on the defensive end.

I haven't seen a team with length move the ball as smooth and as quick as State did during that first half. We finally had a poor shooting game. I think pressure of being a top team got us pressing a bit on shots once we got the early smack in the face. State played a very good game and it was also very good for us to see this kind of front court attack and get the win. great win for our guys.

@Jordan Harper

Yep. Great player but still can't go against some of the best front court players when they're testing us. Need committee work down there and figure out how to get advantages going small without him sometimes.

Not pretty, but a great win tonight. I was so glad to see that JQ seems to be getting back to his old self. Bediako is playing like "soft chuck" right now, and that's ok as long as "angry chuck" shows up in March. Riley and Welch gave some valuable minutes. From the small sample, it looks like Nick Pringle should be getting more clock.

Bediako has definitely had a few off games of late. Clowney and Bradley have seemed to hit a bit of a freshman wall as well. It is over halfway through the season so fatigue could be setting in a bit, but Bediako is only asked to protect the rim, catch lobs, and rebound. As of late, he has not done much of that.
I can't remember Bediako catching and scoring with one lob pass last night. He actually became a liability. I cringe when I see a lob to him or Gurly attempting to dribble.

Reactions: vegas man
I really like Pringle. They were so high on him when recruited. I think Clowney surprised the coaches some and Pringle has been given less minutes. He is a basketball player.
Once again tonight we showed we are the worst team in the SEC when it comes to inbounding the ball. RTR
Our inbound plays look like a little league team. We almost never get a clean inbound, its always either a steal or a near steal.

Reactions: Codie B
Had to be a frustrating game for those of us that thought Bama would show up and run rabbit over State. And it is not going to get any easier cause as we all know just like Bama football when you at the top we going to get everybody's best game. But the team found a way to win!
I was thoroughly impressed with the game plan of the Miss. St. coach and dang it the guy can flat coach. For awhile there I thought State absolutely owned the Paint on both ends of the court.

Big Win for Bama and it is a really good thing we got some quality depth on this team.

@Jordan Harper

AGREE ON D. AT 7FT , HE SHOULD HAVE 10 REB. PER GAME. HE STILL DOESNT UNDER THE GAME. HES GETTING BETTER BUT NOT STRONG ENOUNGH.

I can't remember Bediako catching and scoring with one lob pass last night. He actually became a liability. I cringe when I see a lob to him or Gurly attempting to dribble.
He plays way to nice! You can tell he has a good soul about himself but he sure needs to toughen up and quit being pushed around.

Reactions: BamaNavyCPO
For sure, we have some very good dribblers on this team and last night they put on a show. Problem was, very few points in the first half but some damn good dribbling. We were fortunate to win last night cause St. probably played their best game of the season last night.

For sure, we have some very good dribblers on this team and last night they put on a show. Problem was, very few points in the first half but some damn good dribbling. We were fortunate to win last night cause St. probably played their best game of the season last night.
"Whole lotta dribbling going on!" No one will ever accuse Brandon or Q of picking up their dribble too soon. 😎

Reactions: HOUNDZTOOTH1
I am not against dribbling IF it allows us to penetrate and score or get fouled. Basketball rewards the aggressor.

I am not against dribbling IF it allows us to penetrate and score or get fouled. Basketball rewards the aggressor.
Last night all they could do was dribble cause no one was moving around offensively to get open. Lots of standing around last night that is until after midway of the 2nd half. We really did not look ready to play last night. But we won!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT