ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama's Impressive Win Over Michigan State

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Well, well, well.... Everyone (including myself) wanted to see what this team looked like against an elite-caliber team... and they got that last night. Alabama defeated Michigan State 81-70 in a high level basketball game that highlighted elite athleticism, incredible length, and steady pace to it. What was most surprising to me, was that the athleticism and length was dominated by Alabama. You could just tell watching the game that Alabama looked different from Michigan State. They were bouncier, faster, and just more athletic.

The first half was dominated by Brandon Miller scoring 20 points and having some highlight plays to go with it. I will go on record and say he is the best freshman to ever play at Alabama. Some people were ready to say he's the best player Alabama has ever had, but I'm not ready to go there. Regardless, he is a supremely talented player who has incredible length and shot making ability for his size. You love to watch him play on offense, but if you want to be entertained further, just watch him on defense. He attacks the offensive player, he fights through screens, and he can get up and protect the rim as well. Enjoy the next 30+ games you have to watch him in a Crimson Tide uniform. He's playing himself into a top 10 pick.

I thought Alabama did a great job of dictating the pace. Michigan State likes to play more methodical and get their elbow/wing jumper off the screen or hit the diver off the screen. Credit Alabama for taking the diver away majority of the time and force them to hit a tougher shot over and over. Alabama's length is elite with their front court and it showed up tonight with Bediako, Miller, and Clowney combining for 5 blocks.

One guy I want to highlight is Nimari Burnett. He was tasked with guarding their best back court players all game. In the first half, he didn't record a single stat, but he defended his tail off forcing tough shots and turnovers by himself. The offense came in the second half scoring 8 huge points, and that's the reward for playing hard on defense. Mark Sears was another that played incredibly hard on defense. He is not known as a great defender, but he bought in as soon as he got on campus and has been really solid so far. He just makes winning plays and the box score always shows it. Another game of 5+ rebounds and 5+ assists for the smallest guy on the court.

Alabama will play #20 UConn tonight at 8:30 pm CST. That will be a different styled game with UConn making 17 threes on Oregon yesterday in their win. Alabama didn't need the 3 ball tonight (8/22 35%) but they will likely need to hit more tonight. What a win.

Didn't notice Burnett but Sears stuck out to me on defense. I thought over time they just wore Michigan State down. Depth is going to be big this year especially when everybody gets healthy. This team could legit go 5 in 5 out.

Stats were incredibly even except for minutes. State had 3 players with over 30 minutes. Bama only had Miller over 30. I think depth and fatigue was the difference.

Reactions: pfaud001 and frazor
They got off to a HOT start last year — Beat the Zags! Then… Let’s take it one game @ a time
Not a great take. This team is completely different than last year. We could really only win against good opponents if we went off on the 3 ball. This team plays defense, rebounds, and can score with our without the 3.
This team is really good and really deep.
Most optimistic I've been in a really long time.

Stats were incredibly even except for minutes. State had 3 players with over 30 minutes. Bama only had Miller over 30. I think depth and fatigue was the difference.
I know the Hall kid for them was avg 31 minutes a game not sure about their other injured player. I'd assume that Cooper kid played more than Izzo would have liked cause he struggled quiet a bit.

Reactions: winin11
They did play without 2 of their starters last night. Never the less Bama got the job done and moves on.

Reactions: lainey2020
Don't look now ladies and gents, but Bama has a BB team! They didn't just look good...they were good!
One other item I would like to mention: The flop rule is turning into a "flop." On two occasions last night, our guys were bowled over. One got called for flopping and the other was charged with a blocking foul. I understand the need for the flop rule (curtail potential Hollywood acting), but the refs need to differentiate between a flop and an assault.

Why some posters want to throw cold water on a really good win is beyond me, but to each his own Butthead.

Reactions: GOBAMA100
wtf - go find pwest and you guys would have a great conversation .
Different team completely Ron...
TOTALLY DIFFERENT TEAM!! Don’t believe me just look at all of the roster departures from last season’s team.

Yeah I get the cautious optimism from what happened last year, but you could tell last years team had massive flaws. If they made 15-20 threes a game then they’d likely win but be close. This team is beating good teams by defense, rebounding, and scoring in a multitude of ways. It’s okay to be optimistic about a big win against a blue blood though.

Well, well, well.... Everyone (including myself) wanted to see what this team looked like against an elite-caliber team... and they got that last night. Alabama defeated Michigan State 81-70 in a high level basketball game that highlighted elite athleticism, incredible length, and steady pace to it. What was most surprising to me, was that the athleticism and length was dominated by Alabama. You could just tell watching the game that Alabama looked different from Michigan State. They were bouncier, faster, and just more athletic.

The first half was dominated by Brandon Miller scoring 20 points and having some highlight plays to go with it. I will go on record and say he is the best freshman to ever play at Alabama. Some people were ready to say he's the best player Alabama has ever had, but I'm not ready to go there. Regardless, he is a supremely talented player who has incredible length and shot making ability for his size. You love to watch him play on offense, but if you want to be entertained further, just watch him on defense. He attacks the offensive player, he fights through screens, and he can get up and protect the rim as well. Enjoy the next 30+ games you have to watch him in a Crimson Tide uniform. He's playing himself into a top 10 pick.

I thought Alabama did a great job of dictating the pace. Michigan State likes to play more methodical and get their elbow/wing jumper off the screen or hit the diver off the screen. Credit Alabama for taking the diver away majority of the time and force them to hit a tougher shot over and over. Alabama's length is elite with their front court and it showed up tonight with Bediako, Miller, and Clowney combining for 5 blocks.

One guy I want to highlight is Nimari Burnett. He was tasked with guarding their best back court players all game. In the first half, he didn't record a single stat, but he defended his tail off forcing tough shots and turnovers by himself. The offense came in the second half scoring 8 huge points, and that's the reward for playing hard on defense. Mark Sears was another that played incredibly hard on defense. He is not known as a great defender, but he bought in as soon as he got on campus and has been really solid so far. He just makes winning plays and the box score always shows it. Another game of 5+ rebounds and 5+ assists for the smallest guy on the court.

Alabama will play #20 UConn tonight at 8:30 pm CST. That will be a different styled game with UConn making 17 threes on Oregon yesterday in their win. Alabama didn't need the 3 ball tonight (8/22 35%) but they will likely need to hit more tonight. What a win.
I LOVE the fact that this team can still continue to score without shooting a bunch of 3s. They don't look for the 3 on every single possession and even take a few mid-range shots. Like you stated, they are long and extremely athletic. As I watched the recording this morning, the turkey got the best of me last night, all I could do is come to grips with the fact that Miller is indeed the best freshman I have seen at Alabama. I have been hesitant to give him that credit given it's so early in his freshman season, but damn that kid can play.

Don't look now ladies and gents, but Bama has a BB team! They didn't just look good...they were good!
One other item I would like to mention: The flop rule is turning into a "flop." On two occasions last night, our guys were bowled over. One got called for flopping and the other was charged with a blocking foul. I understand the need for the flop rule (curtail potential Hollywood acting), but the refs need to differentiate between a flop and an assault.
Big white boy pushed off hard and we got called for a block. Even Walton who was high off his ass knew it was a charge.

Great win last night no doubt! There’s still a lot of growth for this team. We can be and play better. As for Michigan State being shorthanded, so was Alabama. Both of our guys, Miles and Welch, are starters that are expected to be major contributors, no matter their role.

So, there’s zero need or reason to qualify the significance of our win last night. We got a talented, long and athletic team. They’re being coached up. There are still some mind-numbing plays but the effort and desire are there. Plus, they are developing the mental fortitude to compete no matter the circumstances.

As for individual players, I will only single out one, Brandon Miller. The general synopsis seems to be that he’s athletic but not explosive. I was beginning to buy into that narrative. However, last night I saw irrefutable evidence that he can be explosive and is a plus athlete. When he went up for that blocked shot, his head was at the rim!!! That tells me that the guy is playing under control and at a different speed that’s predicated on the situation and circumstances. He’s as athletic as he needs to be when the action dictates.

Last edited:
They got off to a HOT start last year — Beat the Zags! Then… Let’s take it one game @ a time
This team is NOT last years' team. Longer, more athletic, FAR better defense. They get back better on D than any Bama team I've seen since Wimp's best teams. Moves well without the ball. Plays unselfishly. Great chemistry which failed us last year.

I really like what I see out of this Bama Basketball Team! They played Hard, Tough and fast Basketball. RTR

Last night was awesome win for a young team!

It's crazy how much Miller stands out on the court when he's hot. Easily the most impressive Bama freshman since the early 90s. Sexton stood out but he was a short 2 guard playing point for us. Miller could play anywhere on the court.

Tonight's game might tell us more about this team than last night. MSU was a bit beat up and short handed and we wore them down because of it as we can get pretty deep into the bench and still have a good player out there. Also, tonight some young players will have to show up ready to play again instead of feeling too happy about last night. Uconn can shoot us out of the gym if we're lazy on D and not crashing the boards like lives depend on it.

I hope more players step up and pick their game up to match Miller instead of sitting around waiting on Miller to do something.

One thing that stood out to me was the level of play from our bench. There was no drop off from substituting players. One surprise was when Bediako struggled a bit. Nate Oats put in Noah Gurly in his place and Gurley came in with enthusiasm and scored with emphatic dunks and hit his free throws.
Of course JQ came in a did a great job. Bradley and Griffen also contributed and played great defense and scored as well.

wtf - go find pwest and you guys would have a great conversation .
Different team completely Ron...
Was a great win. Spartans did have 2 of the their top 7 players out which made a difference.

But Tide played very well.

Reactions: Codie B
Well. As I was saying, pump the brakes. UConn dominated our ass. We'll get better but that Michigan State win wasn't even as impressive as Gonzaga last year. We may end up better than last year, but it aint like we're Final 4 material just yet.

It wasn’t as bad as it looked. We dug a hole. That’s the bottom line. We have to learn to endure the defense.

I think this game came down to the hole we dug in the first half. UConn played tough defense that created some of it. The numbers are really similar. our numbers weren’t bad except for turnovers. They were just a little better in a few categories. They beat us with intense defense that limited our shot attempts & free throws.

It wasn’t as bad as it looked. We dug a hole. That’s the bottom line. We have to learn to endure the defense.

I think this game came down to the hole we dug in the first half. UConn played tough defense that created some of it. The numbers are really similar. our numbers weren’t bad except for turnovers. They were just a little better in a few categories. They beat us with intense defense that limited our shot attempts & free throws.
Except game was tied with 11:00 minutes left and Bama shot plenty of free throws. Folded last 10 minutes completely.

ADVERTISEMENT