ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Alabama's Win Over Jackson State

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Through the first 30 minutes or so, you could tell Alabama was a team that was 1) Ready for a break 2) Likely still feeling the effects of the flu and 3) Not respecting their opponent. Jackson State is a bad team, but they've given some power 5 schools a scare this season. You can clearly see the impact of Noah Clowney, but I thought Nick Pringle played really really well tonight. He is the most athletic player on Alabama's team and he plays hard.

That is the worst Alabama has played all season, but it really doesn't matter because of how deep they are. They turned the ball over 17 times, shot 25% from 3, but scored 84 points. Will they end up stop turning it over a lot? Probably not. If they can just cut it from 16 turnovers a game to 10, that would work wonders for this team. One thing I notice is the guards get into the lane and leave their feet looking to kick when an open floater is in front of them. Those plays of leaving their feet are typically when they turn the ball over, but I understand the concept of drive and kick.

Brandon Miller had a quiet 10 point 14 rebound double double, Gurley had 16, and Mark Sears scored 15 in the 2nd half. 5 Tide players finished in double figures in a very balanced effort scoring.

There is not much to take from this game except to take the win, go into the break, and get rested and healthy. You could tell the team wasn't 100% by how they were lagging around most of the game. They have Miss St on the road next Wednesday who just lost to Drake today. They have to rest and be focused starting conference play to get off to a quick start. Their first 5 SEC games are all very winnable, but they have things to clean up before then. No team in college basketball has everything figured out and not even close. You had 4 more ranked teams go down today and games like today for Alabama will happen, no matter the opponent. No reason to be worried as this team is 10-2 heading into conference play. Something everyone would've taken going into the season.

It was some common sense scheduling to get a game like this between that grind the team just went through and SEC play. Maybe the second worst team on the entire schedule if not the worst.

As bad as we played if this had been even a mediocre team we would have lost. Any of the early teams would have beaten us. Liberty, Longwood, South AL, Jax ST.

Take the W and hopefully heads don't stray too far from basketball before next Wed. It would make for a sour start to the SEC slate if we continue this sleep walk into Starkville.

Curious on your thoughts on this @Jordan Harper . . . What does Coach Oats need to do to reduce the turnovers?
Oats can only do so much with this imo. It's not a scheme issue, it's just players making poor decisions. Coaches are supposed to put the players in the best position to succeed, but in the end the players just have to be smart.

Oats can only do so much with this imo. It's not a scheme issue, it's just players making poor decisions. Coaches are supposed to put the players in the best position to succeed, but in the end the players just have to be smart.

I respectfully disagree. It’s a coach’s job to get the ball in the players hands at the right time. Him allowing Gurley try iso ball on the baseline causes 2 turnovers a game.

Our non existent inbounds plays are also another 1-2 turnovers a game.

That’s all on Oats.

Miles was back to his usual self...a TO waiting to happen. I thought Q did a little better last night. He had some nice assists. Those floaters in the lane that Harp spoke of is what Gonzaga use to score at will on us. Our players could get that shot just about anytime they wanted, but instead they will plow ahead into the defender, which more than often results in a blocked attempt/missed attempt/or a charging foul. I agree on Pringle. He need to work on his FTs, but he did an ok job last night.

Reactions: lainey2020
I respectfully disagree. It’s a coach’s job to get the ball in the players hands at the right time. Him allowing Gurley try iso ball on the baseline causes 2 turnovers a game.

That’s all on Oats.
I still think Gurley has really played well this year. The inbounds plays have plagued for 3 coaches.

That’s all on Oats.
Just stop! When the game is flowing and guys are being guarded there's nothing Oats can do to get that player freed up. You can't draw up plays for everyone possession the ball will end up in different players hands. It's not Gurley you should worry about, its Miller, sears, Javon, clowney, bradley, all them have 24 or more turnovers for the year, with Miller being the highest at 30. So as you can see that's the people who handle the ball the most turning it over at a high amount. I'm one that cringes when Gurley or miles have the ball but you gotta look at the whole team. Bediako seems to never catch a pass cleanly under the goal unless it an alley Oop. As Harper stated it's on the player to be smart with the ball and slow down a little and make good plays.

Reactions: lainey2020 and bet9
I didn't realize until this year how bad Miles is. I thought he was a pretty good player until the talent pool was raised. He needs to be rebounding, defending, and standing in the corner waiting for a pass to shoot the 3. Nothing more than that. He should never be a ball handler.

I didn't realize until this year how bad Miles is. I thought he was a pretty good player until the talent pool was raised. He needs to be rebounding, defending, and standing in the corner waiting for a pass to shoot the 3. Nothing more than that. He should never be a ball handler.
Nope, he has been the exact way the whole time he's been here. I have pulled for him from the beginning because he's very athletic and has really good hops, but he hasn't developed any.

Reactions: tomg505
When I see Miles dribbling, I automatically cringe. Why-n-hell would you allow him to bring the ball up court?

ADVERTISEMENT