ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Emotional Victory Over Vanderbilt

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
There’s no right way to prepare for a game after the circumstances this team has endured the past couple of days. They didn’t practice Sunday and only had 1 day to practice. Nate Oats has handled this situation as well as someone can in his position and it showed tonight on the court.

Alabama came out firing and built a 10 point lead early in the game, before giving up a big run by Vanderbilt to take a 22-21 lead. That would be the last time Vanderbilt would lead. Brandon Miller took the game over in the opening minutes with his incredible dunk. Then he was on his way to a 30 point double double a few days after a 30 point outing against LSU.

In the second half, Alabama built a lead as high as 23 because of Brandon Miller taking over the game. Alabama couldn’t hit majority of the night from outside, but that’s to be expected after the barrage on Saturday. Sears had his worst game in a Bama uniform and Clowney did not shoot the ball well either. Vanderbilt did a good job of making the game sloppy and it caused the lead to shrink as low as 8. The officiating was poor and inconsistent all night, and that led to a Oats technical with about 6 minutes left. Alabama played probably a B- game and still won by 12 on the road just 2 days after what occurred over the weekend. This extra rest before traveling to Missouri will be much needed. This game shows that this Alabama team is very mature and mentally tough.

Oh and it helps to have arguably the best player to ever come through Alabama on your side.

The only thoughts that continue to go through my head about this team is:

What if Bradley, Griffen, Clowney, and Burnett reach 80% of their potential by the end of the regular season?

The backups look like our previous seasons starters that could win 17-20 games.

I feel like something terrible is going to happen because ThIs Is Alabama Basketball.

The only thoughts that continue to go through my head about this team is:

What if Bradley, Griffen, Clowney, and Burnett reach 80% of their potential by the end of the regular season?

The backups look like our previous seasons starters that could win 17-20 games.

I feel like something terrible is going to happen because ThIs Is Alabama Basketball.
The part about something to burst our bubble has been on my mind too. After the events of Sunday morning I think this team has a strong bond that will plow through any situation.

I have always said Basketball is a game of Runs where (Unless it was a day against LSU that was just Alabama's day) it seems sometimes when we do get a huge lead Oats struggles to get the right combination on the floor as he substitutes to maintain momentum. But...for this team to be so young they seem to pull together and Bow up to put the game away.

Ironic what the two Lady commentators said that three-fourths of the game basically was a good flow and the latter part severely slowed down due to fouls being called. Sure it got close and Vandy had to foul but it was like all of a sudden the officials said, we better earn our money tonight and call the heck of a lot of fouls.
SEC officials are terrible! I like good Physical basketball that allows the players to play.

Ironic what the two Lady commentators said that three-fourths of the game basically was a good flow and the latter part severely slowed down due to fouls being called. Sure it got close and Vandy had to foul but it was like all of a sudden the officials said, we better earn our money tonight and call the heck of a lot of fouls.
SEC officials are terrible! I like good Physical basketball that allows the players to play.
Agreed! The refs made the game about them. They tried their level best to help Vandy out but Miller wasn't having it! There was more than a few ticky-tack, no-see-em fouls called against Bama while our guys were being mauled. Nevertheless, we're 6/0 in the SEC and 16/2 overall.
RTR!!!!

There’s no right way to prepare for a game after the circumstances this team has endured the past couple of days. They didn’t practice Sunday and only had 1 day to practice. Nate Oats has handled this situation as well as someone can in his position and it showed tonight on the court.

Alabama came out firing and built a 10 point lead early in the game, before giving up a big run by Vanderbilt to take a 22-21 lead. That would be the last time Vanderbilt would lead. Brandon Miller took the game over in the opening minutes with his incredible dunk. Then he was on his way to a 30 point double double a few days after a 30 point outing against LSU.

In the second half, Alabama built a lead as high as 23 because of Brandon Miller taking over the game. Alabama couldn’t hit majority of the night from outside, but that’s to be expected after the barrage on Saturday. Sears had his worst game in a Bama uniform and Clowney did not shoot the ball well either. Vanderbilt did a good job of making the game sloppy and it caused the lead to shrink as low as 8. The officiating was poor and inconsistent all night, and that led to a Oats technical with about 6 minutes left. Alabama played probably a B- game and still won by 12 on the road just 2 days after what occurred over the weekend. This extra rest before traveling to Missouri will be much needed. This game shows that this Alabama team is very mature and mentally tough.

Oh and it helps to have arguably the best player to ever come through Alabama on your side.
After what the team has been through, I might say this is the best win of the season.

So happy for the team to get out of there, where Bama doesn’t typically play well.

I thought Jayden was fantastic. Miller too.

I thought everyone else was just flat

SEC does not have “ basketball officials.” These guys work games for several conferences.

• Wow
Reactions: bet9 and cola68
I feel like the better Bradley gets the better this team gets. If he gets to where he can completely take over the game then life will become easier for the rest.

I can tell Bradley understands the balance of the game and he does what he does to keep the other team off balance and to make the team better overall.

SEC does not have “ basketball officials.” These guys work games for several conferences
Did not know that and was under the impression that all officials calling SEC games were hired by the SEC exclusively.
And also thought that like the SEC football officials, basketball officials operate as a group that rotate
together game to game.
Also, just curious just who do the SEC coaches call and complain to if they are not SEC officials?

• Wow
Reactions: bet9
Maybe its just me but for years it seems like the SEC officiating has been the worst! Officials in this league help the home teams by atleast a solid 6 to 10 points a game!
The conference office asks this of the officials they use. The issue of home attendance is the excuse I've seen most often. The conference office fears the 3k fan showing in a primetime slot so somehow keeping the home team in games I guess helps convince a few more fans that they have a better chance to win?

You'll see an officiating crew work an SEC game where they call 40+ fouls and the last 5 minutes take what feels like hours after 50+ free throws between the two teams. That same crew may do a Big East or MAC or a game in another league that doesn't have 20 fouls called the entire game and the last 3 or 4 minutes are almost seamless unless there's blood on the court. Then the same crew may do an NCAA tournament game and you don't even really know they are there as they let the game play out.

Reactions: jmillerbama
SEC does not have “ basketball officials.” These guys work games for several conferences.
I think maybe 1 in 10000 Bama fans get this. I can't count how many times I've heard "dang SEC officials are awful in basketball, they need to fire them all". When you try to point out there isn't a dedicated team of basketball officials just for the SEC they get glassy eyed and go right back to "all I know is SEC officials are awful and I see the same idiots calling every SEC game".

It's not hard to understand. The SEC doesn't employ basketball officials like they do in football. FOGs can't sort that out.

I feel like the better Bradley gets the better this team gets. If he gets to where he can completely take over the game then life will become easier for the rest.

I can tell Bradley understands the balance of the game and he does what he does to keep the other team off balance and to make the team better overall.
Games like last night really show how important Bradley is and has become. Sears and JQ were basically total no shows for the game for one reason or another. We probably lose if not for Bradley stepping up and making some plays when the dores were trying to push their runs. He did have 4 turnovers though so he's still got some work to do in taking care of the ball.

If he can keep getting better and consistently get those layups and 5 ft jumpers to go in then the ceiling for this team can get really high. Miller, Clowney, and Bradley on the court at the same time has given this team some of their best stretches in tough games. Which is scary as all 3 are true freshman. None of them play like it though.

I think maybe 1 in 10000 Bama fans get this. I can't count how many times I've heard "dang SEC officials are awful in basketball, they need to fire them all". When you try to point out there isn't a dedicated team of basketball officials just for the SEC they get glassy eyed and go right back to "all I know is SEC officials are awful and I see the same idiots calling every SEC game".

It's not hard to understand. The SEC doesn't employ basketball officials like they do in football. FOGs can't sort that out.
It has nothing to do with "Do Bama Fans get this" and for many like myself I simply did not know. I do now!
Now I know to say"the Damn Officials Suck and they have to answer to no one"! RTR

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bet9
Did not know that and was under the impression that all officials calling SEC games were hired by the SEC exclusively.
And also thought that like the SEC football officials, basketball officials operate as a group that rotate
together game to game.
Also, just curious just who do the SEC coaches call and complain to if they are not SEC officials?
They can still complain to the SEC office about any individual. But most guys you see doing SEC games also do ACC and Conference USA games.

The refs are a group that do these conferences from my understanding.....
The Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), Southeastern Conference, American Athletic Conference, ASUN, Southern and Sun Belt Conferences.

Btw, I think there really is SEC officials paid by the Sec. They may do some of the other conferences listed but not sure how that works but I don't think they are officiating throughout other conferences not listed in my previous message.

And yes...they suck regardless.

• Haha
Reactions: xcop and bet9
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT