ADVERTISEMENT

Three recruits on Alabama basketball's wish list for 2022

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
By Hunter Cruse

Alabama basketball has been dominant on the recruiting circuit over the past few seasons, foreshadowing what could be a bright future for the program. Nate Oats has one of the most enticing offers to show for in all of college basketball, holding similar concepts to those used in the NBA.

Today, we'll look at three prospects the Crimson Tide will have its eye on in the 2022 class.

Shaedon Sharpe, five-star shooting guard

Rivals rank: No. 20 overall, No. 5 shooting guard

Scouting report: Sharpe is one of the highest rising juniors, climbing 70 spots in the latest Rivals150. He averaged 13.0 points, 2.3 assists, and 3.7 rebounds at the FIBA U16 Championship in 2019. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Canadian guard is a superb athlete who played for the same AAU program as current Alabama players, Joshua Primo and Keon Ambrose-Hylton.

Sharpe's athleticism is one of his biggest attributes. He has one of the best first steps in his class, holding incredible burst. He’s an absolute terror in transition and should fit into Oats’ system with ease. As an outside shooter, Sharpe lacks some consistency as his shot is far from polished. Although that doesn’t take anything away from his scoring upside as he creates strong separation on his jumper, possessing the handle to make difficult plays through a tight window or a dribble handoff. He's likely to be a secondary ball-handler but makes some quality decisions in the open court.

On the defensive end, Sharpe has the physical tools to be a positive contributor at the next level. He's a long-athlete who makes plays in help-side defense but struggles with consistent effort. He’s an impact shot blocker when his aggression level is up which can lead to highlight-reel moments.

Rivals national basketball analyst Rob Cassidy’s take: “Sharpe is a guy I’m excited to see on the circuit this offseason, and he’s added length and starting to really blow up from a recruitment standpoint. He’s long been high on Alabama, and the Tide will figure in until the end. Somewhat recent offers from Kentucky and Kansas could make things interesting.”

Rodney Rice, four-star point guard

Rivals rank: No. 77 overall, No. 21 point guard

Scouting report: Rice is a dynamic scorer who impacts the game in a multitude of facets. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound guard is valuable on and off the ball and is an elite shotmaker who is fluid from long-range. He is also one of the better movement shooters in his class. Alabama's rim-and-three philosophy should fit right into Rice's game. He's not the flashiest athlete but possesses some sneaky burst, opening up shots for teammates on dribble penetration opportunities. Speaking more on his court awareness, Rice shows strong poise in the pick-and-roll when facing a hard hedge or double team. He has ideal size to play in a combo-guard role.
Rice is a capable defender with strong awareness to be productive in help situations. An optimal option to switch between guarding the primary or secondary ball-handler in most situations. Rice is a player to watch over the summer circuit.

Rice on Alabama: “I like Alabama, and I have a good connection with Coach Oats and the Assistant Coach Hodgson. I love their NBA style of play. They get up a lot of 3s, and for me, I think that’s the strongest part of my game.”

Cassidy’s take: “Rice is a pass-first guard who is still capable of scoring in bunches. He gets up the floor quickly and has no problem absorbing contact in the paint. He seems high on Louisville, but Alabama remains in play along with a handful of others. I wouldn’t expect a commitment to come until during or after the summer.”

Chandler Jackson, three-star point guard

Rivals rank: unranked

Scouting report: Jackson was the leading force on a Christian Brothers (Tenn.) High School team that rose to national status with a perfect record to begin the 2020-21 season. Listed at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, he has nice size for his age. He’s a fearless attacker with the ability to split multiple defenders using his strength. He’s also an elite finisher at the rim and can get into the lane and make kick out passes.

Jackson needs to continue rounding out his game. At the moment, he’s a project shooter lacking consistent hand placement. He shows consistency from the free-throw line, it’s just a matter of translating it to live action. He needs to limit contested mid-range jumpers and look to utilize his floater more often. Jackson does a great job at creating separation on drives by getting his defender on his hip.

Again, his size doesn’t get talked about enough. Jackson has the potential to fit into every team's ideal multi-position defender. He currently struggles to cut off driving lanes, but that’s a problem that could be fixed easily. Jackson is likely a secondary option at the guard position for Alabama in the 2022 class.

Jackson on Alabama: “I really like Alabama and what Coach Oats is doing, and I love the relationship that I have with Coach Henry. It’s a school I can definitely see myself going to.”

Cassidy’s take: “I get this sense that the 6-foot-4 combo guard is still pretty wide open. Jackson, who is as strong and tough as guards come, issues his body to create space and opportunities and has long been a steady finisher in the lane. Alabama along with Vanderbilt and Ole Miss are heavily involved at this juncture.”

By Hunter Cruse

Alabama basketball has been dominant on the recruiting circuit over the past few seasons, foreshadowing what could be a bright future for the program. Nate Oats has one of the most enticing offers to show for in all of college basketball, holding similar concepts to those used in the NBA.

Today, we'll look at three prospects the Crimson Tide will have its eye on in the 2022 class.

Scouting report: Sharpe is one of the highest rising juniors, climbing 70 spots in the latest Rivals150. He averaged 13.0 points, 2.3 assists, and 3.7 rebounds at the FIBA U16 Championship in 2019. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Canadian guard is a superb athlete who played for the same AAU program as current Alabama players, Joshua Primo and Keon Ambrose-Hylton.

Sharpe's athleticism is one of his biggest attributes. He has one of the best first steps in his class, holding incredible burst. He’s an absolute terror in transition and should fit into Oats’ system with ease. As an outside shooter, Sharpe lacks some consistency as his shot is far from polished. Although that doesn’t take anything away from his scoring upside as he creates strong separation on his jumper, possessing the handle to make difficult plays through a tight window or a dribble handoff. He's likely to be a secondary ball-handler but makes some quality decisions in the open court.

On the defensive end, Sharpe has the physical tools to be a positive contributor at the next level. He's a long-athlete who makes plays in help-side defense but struggles with consistent effort. He’s an impact shot blocker when his aggression level is up which can lead to highlight-reel moments.

Rivals national basketball analyst Rob Cassidy’s take: “Sharpe is a guy I’m excited to see on the circuit this offseason, and he’s added length and starting to really blow up from a recruitment standpoint. He’s long been high on Alabama, and the Tide will figure in until the end. Somewhat recent offers from Kentucky and Kansas could make things interesting.”

Scouting report: Rice is a dynamic scorer who impacts the game in a multitude of facets. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound guard is valuable on and off the ball and is an elite shotmaker who is fluid from long-range. He is also one of the better movement shooters in his class. Alabama's rim-and-three philosophy should fit right into Rice's game. He's not the flashiest athlete but possesses some sneaky burst, opening up shots for teammates on dribble penetration opportunities. Speaking more on his court awareness, Rice shows strong poise in the pick-and-roll when facing a hard hedge or double team. He has ideal size to play in a combo-guard role.
Rice is a capable defender with strong awareness to be productive in help situations. An optimal option to switch between guarding the primary or secondary ball-handler in most situations. Rice is a player to watch over the summer circuit.

Rice on Alabama: “I like Alabama, and I have a good connection with Coach Oats and the Assistant Coach Hodgson. I love their NBA style of play. They get up a lot of 3s, and for me, I think that’s the strongest part of my game.”

Cassidy’s take: “Rice is a pass-first guard who is still capable of scoring in bunches. He gets up the floor quickly and has no problem absorbing contact in the paint. He seems high on Louisville, but Alabama remains in play along with a handful of others. I wouldn’t expect a commitment to come until during or after the summer.”

Scouting report: Jackson was the leading force on a Christian Brothers (Tenn.) High School team that rose to national status with a perfect record to begin the 2020-21 season. Listed at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, he has nice size for his age. He’s a fearless attacker with the ability to split multiple defenders using his strength. He’s also an elite finisher at the rim and can get into the lane and make kick out passes.

Jackson needs to continue rounding out his game. At the moment, he’s a project shooter lacking consistent hand placement. He shows consistency from the free-throw line, it’s just a matter of translating it to live action. He needs to limit contested mid-range jumpers and look to utilize his floater more often. Jackson does a great job at creating separation on drives by getting his defender on his hip.

Again, his size doesn’t get talked about enough. Jackson has the potential to fit into every team's ideal multi-position defender. He currently struggles to cut off driving lanes, but that’s a problem that could be fixed easily. Jackson is likely a secondary option at the guard position for Alabama in the 2022 class.

Jackson on Alabama: “I really like Alabama and what Coach Oats is doing, and I love the relationship that I have with Coach Henry. It’s a school I can definitely see myself going to.”

Cassidy’s take: “I get this sense that the 6-foot-4 combo guard is still pretty wide open. Jackson, who is as strong and tough as guards come, issues his body to create space and opportunities and has long been a steady finisher in the lane. Alabama along with Vanderbilt and Ole Miss are heavily involved at this juncture.”
yea this is solid recruiting info tony t with a Y. oats is hanging in there with his canadan connection

By Hunter Cruse

thanks

Reactions: Bama 28
For anyone turning their nose up at the 3* kid, he's exactly what we need. Not as a centerpiece, but read Cassidy's take and think about how this year we are lacking those exact attributes. We're only losing if we miss more than 10 layups, but we're missing 10 lol. We need a rugged, tough guard who embraces physicality and finishes around the rim. I had envisioned Gary as that guy out of HS but who the hell could have pegged him getting his minutes at Center lol.

For anyone turning their nose up at the 3* kid, he's exactly what we need. Not as a centerpiece, but read Cassidy's take and think about how this year we are lacking those exact attributes. We're only losing if we miss more than 10 layups, but we're missing 10 lol. We need a rugged, tough guard who embraces physicality and finishes around the rim. I had envisioned Gary as that guy out of HS but who the hell could have pegged him getting his minutes at Center lol.

IMO Shack is the guy that we need more of...he is a skilled scorer and competitor that just doesn’t quite have the size/athleticism combo to be a big time NBA prospect, but is a gym rat and great second/third option that will end up playing 4 years. Mix a group of guys like Shack with a legit NBA lottery prospect (or two) and you have a championship level formula.

IMO Shack is the guy that we need more of...he is a skilled scorer and competitor that just doesn’t quite have the size/athleticism combo to be a big time NBA prospect, but is a gym rat and great second/third option that will end up playing 4 years. Mix a group of guys like Shack with a legit NBA lottery prospect (or two) and you have a championship level formula.
I don't disagree and to a point I thin Shack fits the description I gave. Does anyone finish more unlikely, uglier layups than Shack? I think not. But they tend to go in so I don't care that they're ugly lol.

I don't disagree and to a point I thin Shack fits the description I gave. Does anyone finish more unlikely, uglier layups than Shack? I think not. But they tend to go in so I don't care that they're ugly lol.

Agree 100% and I think that is part of what makes Shack a bit different for Alabama...he came into the program as a skilled 20+ PPG scorer so, even though he has gotten better, he was able to contribute immediately as opposed to the "raw athlete" that Bama has been known for, one that rides the bench or plays spot minutes for years before finally developing into a contributor as an upperclassman.

I'm not really saying going completely one way or the other, since you have to have some guys that can create mismatches to compete at a high level, but Bama has certainly leaned on the "raw recruit with upside" path too much in the past IMO and overlooked gym rats that could play.

Reactions: kansas77
By Hunter Cruse

that is 3 good ones. sharpe and rice is at the top of my list. dont know much about jackson.

Man I’ve gotta disagree on Shack a bit. You’re right he does finish a lot of those, but there have also been a ton of games where he’s killed us on those uncontrolled drives and throwing up a prayer. I’d prefer him take what’s given him a bit more and stop trying to force so much.

Man I’ve gotta disagree on Shack a bit. You’re right he does finish a lot of those, but there have also been a ton of games where he’s killed us on those uncontrolled drives and throwing up a prayer. I’d prefer him take what’s given him a bit more and stop trying to force so much.

Probably right about being too aggressive at times, but what I have always liked is that Shack came into the program and from day one he already had ball skills and a scorer’s mentality, instead of being a project. Those guys make great play finishers and secondary options on good teams.

Reactions: bet9 and Sweetlou10
Were are the 6-8, 6-9 players? Bama can't keep recruiting the same player over and over and not get some quality big men who can rebound and protect the rim. Unless they can find themselves a couple Charles Barkley type players, a bunch of 6-4 players is redundant.

Oh no I agree he definitely forces it and goes too often. I'm just amazed that as many go in as they do lol. So ugly and often out of control.

Reactions: Sweetlou10
Were are the 6-8, 6-9 players? Bama can't keep recruiting the same player over and over and not get some quality big men who can rebound and protect the rim. Unless they can find themselves a couple Charles Barkley type players, a bunch of 6-4 players is redundant.
Tchikou is injured. Bruner is injured. Reese played 19 minutes. Rojas played. KAH was on the bench. Langston Wilson is on the way and possibly Bediako. That's where they are anyway. Do we even have a single 6'4 guy on our roster? No. We don't.

Agree 100% and I think that is part of what makes Shack a bit different for Alabama...he came into the program as a skilled 20+ PPG scorer so, even though he has gotten better, he was able to contribute immediately as opposed to the "raw athlete" that Bama has been known for, one that rides the bench or plays spot minutes for years before finally developing into a contributor as an upperclassman.

I'm not really saying going completely one way or the other, since you have to have some guys that can create mismatches to compete at a high level, but Bama has certainly leaned on the "raw recruit with upside" path too much in the past IMO and overlooked gym rats that could play.
Agree. CNO seems to be getting a lot more out of the guys than in years past. You're right it was a constant theme with our program.

Tchikou is injured. Bruner is injured. Reese played 19 minutes. Rojas played. KAH was on the bench. Langston Wilson is on the way and possibly Bediako. That's where they are anyway. Do we even have a single 6'4 guy on our roster? No. We don't.
LOL, so you're one of those guys that's going to take the 6'4 thing literally. We have players in the same mode, 6'3, 6'4, 6'5 who can make an impact and not enough who are 6'9, 6'10, 6'11. Reese is 6'9 but doesn't play like a 6'9 player downlow.

And I was talking about recruiting going forwards since this is a thread about recruiting, Bruner is gone next year and so is Reese. Wilson is the one only one coming in next year that might be able to fill that role of being a strong present around the basket, if Bediako comes than you can add him to the list but not until then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT