ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Billy Donovan land?

frazor

All American
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2002
I suppose if Steve Nash can get a gig in the NBA then maybe Donovan gets another shot too. Will Wade better be looking over his shoulder.

If I was him I’d land at a huge farm in Iowa and a house on the beach. Back and forth. Maybe make a little money with ESPN when I wanted to.
My guess is he takes this crazy year off and a blue blood hires him back to college. Coach K or Roy Willams would feel better about retiring if Billy D was waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
If I was him I’d land at a huge farm in Iowa and a house on the beach. Back and forth. Maybe make a little money with ESPN when I wanted to.
My guess is he takes this crazy year off and a blue blood hires him back to college. Coach K or Roy Willams would feel better about retiring if Billy D was waiting in the wings.
That would be a smart play

Being reported that he's a candidate for the Sixers job.
That seems odd. I don't keep a close eye on the NBA but the current Thunder team is comprised of what Donovan was able to put together once the Durant/Westbrook duo was broken up. Now the Sixers are about to tear apart their failed Embid/Simmons experiment and they think Donovan is the one to put it all back together?

I suppose if Steve Nash can get a gig in the NBA then maybe Donovan gets another shot too. Will Wade better be looking over his shoulder.

I think he's back in college this time next year. Almost definitely Power Five.

I hope he stays in the NBA and enjoys a long and profitable career.

With our luck he will be back in the SEC somewhere just in time to muck up what little momentum we have rolling in bball. I would hope not an LSU or other West school we play twice a year.

I don't know of another coach in any sport that just completely owned us the way Donovan did. I think we beat him two or three times in something like 30 games (if you count his assistant days with Pitino at UK). I know of no other such record in modern times for the big 3 sports. To top it off, as a player he helped end the best chance Wimp had of making a final 4 (even though the NCAA would have us forfeit that season later on).

I suppose you could argue that Fulmer meets that level but he lost to Fran and Shula before he was run off and he had the benefit of a 12 year rectal exam of Bama football with rumors galore and two harsh rounds of punishments. Donovan was still wearing us out on the regular even as his teams were slipping and he had one foot out the door.

Last edited:
Read plenty of Bulls fans who would like to see Donovan interviewed.

Billy D was a good recruiter but he did NOT enjoy recruiting. Based on local reports I have heard he will stay in the NBA. It was a mutual parting of the ways. Billy is from New York ........ I would bet in the 76ers. Brooklyn would not have worked with Durant.

I know one coach who is hoping like heck he takes another NBA job SOON. UF fans would bring him back in a second .... and he still comes back to visit friends and a school he sponsored.

I’m a Sixers fan and would be shocked if he’s not the top candidate. People love talking about splitting Embiid and Simmons up but the organization went through way too much to give up this quick. Just think if the Kawhi last second shot didn’t go in last year how far could that team have gone? And it’s well documented that Jimmy Butler left Philly because he didn’t like Brett Brown. If Jimmy had stayed and Simmons stayed healthy this postseason, it’s hard to imagine that trio not making waves in a postseason that could very well be the 3 seed vs 5 seed in the ECF.

The bigger issue for the Sixers organization is the nightmare contacts with an aging Al Horford and Tobias Harris, who the Sixers committed an absurd amount of money to once it became apparent that Butler was intent on leaving. It will be an interesting next few seasons. But nothing is more painful as a Sixers fan than watching Tatum light it up in Boston when we were all in on Markelle Fultz. The Process gives and the Process takes away I guess lol.

I’m a Sixers fan and would be shocked if he’s not the top candidate. People love talking about splitting Embiid and Simmons up but the organization went through way too much to give up this quick. Just think if the Kawhi last second shot didn’t go in last year how far could that team have gone? And it’s well documented that Jimmy Butler left Philly because he didn’t like Brett Brown. If Jimmy had stayed and Simmons stayed healthy this postseason, it’s hard to imagine that trio not making waves in a postseason that could very well be the 3 seed vs 5 seed in the ECF.

The bigger issue for the Sixers organization is the nightmare contacts with an aging Al Horford and Tobias Harris, who the Sixers committed an absurd amount of money to once it became apparent that Butler was intent on leaving. It will be an interesting next few seasons. But nothing is more painful as a Sixers fan than watching Tatum light it up in Boston when we were all in on Markelle Fultz. The Process gives and the Process takes away I guess lol.
I'm a die-hard Bulls fan. Pain is all I know. We finally cleaned house though so going forward I think we'll make good moves under the new management and I expect Chicago to be competing for the 8th spot. I do however believe the Bulls are going to experience many more wins in the years to come than in years past.

Spending time with his family

giphy.gif

I think there are only TWO college jobs Billy would have interest in .... DUKE and UF .... with Duke being his top choice. jmo.

Look for the 76'ers and don't rule out the Bucks .....2 flops in the playoffs .. problem is Giannis is in his walk year and Billy been there done that with KD.

I think there are only TWO college jobs Billy would have interest in .... DUKE and UF .... with Duke being his top choice. jmo.

Look for the 76'ers and don't rule out the Bucks .....2 flops in the playoffs .. problem is Giannis is in his walk year and Billy been there done that with KD.

I would add UK to that list. I know he enjoyed his time in Lexington as an assistant to Pitino.

Reactions: milso47

Not that we are a premiere destination lol but I know my Bulls have already made inquiries and definitely want to interview Billy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT