ADVERTISEMENT

After putting in the work, Dallas Turner is ready for his turn at Alabama

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
On one hand, Dallas Turner’s rapid ascension at Alabama seems rushed. Even with his five-star status, few would have projected the freshman outside linebacker to be in a position to possibly start for the Crimson Tide just six games into his college career.

Then again, none of this is sudden.

Turner will get his first taste of extended playing time for Alabama this weekend following injuries to starters Christopher Allen and Drew Sanders. While the Tide’s recent setbacks might have cleared the way for Turner’s rise, preparations for this opportunity began months ago on a sun-drenched field in South Florida.

Well before injuries took their toll on Alabama’s outside linebacker unit this season, Javon Gopie predicted his protégé would see the field early for the Tide. The noted pass-rushing guru dubbed “The Sack Sensei” confidently proclaimed as much to BamaInsider during an interview in the summer of 2020.

“The principles that I preach, I want my guys going to college and producing early,” Gopie said at the time. “I 100 percent believe Dallas will be on the field making plays as a freshman.”

That wasn’t boastfulness either. Gopie not only expected Turner to make an instant impact at Alabama, the two planned for it.

Working four days a week this summer, the duo would attempt to beat the Florida heat by taking the field at 9 a.m. Training sessions began with the implementation of new pass-rush techniques as Gopie looked to add to Turner’s diverse arsenal of moves. The high-intensity workouts progressed into the weight room where the linebacker took on Alabama’s offseason strength and conditioning plan with the same vigor.

“He really earned it,” Gopie said. “His success came from work months and months ago, really even before he signed with Alabama. “Despite all of the fame and notoriety that he earned the past year, he still came out to work every single day. That’s just his work ethic. He wants to be the best version of himself, and he’s willing to do what takes to get there.”

Most of Gopie’s on-field work with Turner this summer revolved around refinement as the defender already entered the offseason more polished than most college freshmen.

Turner recorded a combined 115 tackles, including 42 stops for a loss and 28 sacks over 21 games during his final two seasons of high school. He was named the South Florida Sun Sentinel’s Broward County Class 5A-1A defensive player of the year following his junior season at American Heritage High School and repeated the feat at the 8A-6A level after transferring to St. Thomas Aquinas for his senior year.

Turner’s transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas allowed him to play under former NFL Defensive Player of the Year Jason Taylor, who served as his defensive coordinator. The move paid off as the combined tutelage acquired from both Taylor and Gopie saw the defender take his game to elite status, ultimately earning the distinction as the top outside linebacker and No. 19 overall player in his class.

“He went from playing a game from a physical standpoint to a more cerebral approach and studying game film and opponents and schemes and different offensive tactics,” Dallas’ father Delon said. “He has been able to utilize that more as he has matured as a player and now at Alabama.”

Along with his on-field training, Gopie further sculpted Turner’s mental progression this summer, schooling him on pass-rushing from the offensive perspective by breaking down what to expect from opposing offensive linemen and how to exploit it.

The two have remained in contact this season as Gopie provides Turner with a “pre-game pass-rush plan” heading into each game. The weekly Zoom call generally occurs on Sunday after the positional coach has had time to break down film of the linebacker’s performance and formulate a scouting report of Alabama’s opponent for the following week. From there, the two search for tendencies, scanning for anything they can exploit on the field.

“Once that plan is created, then he can go rep it out in practice,” Gopie said. “He knows the moves he needs to execute because he already knows the defense’s tendencies and what he’ll see on Saturday. That allows him to work on how he’s going to attack it.”

Over the summer, Turner detailed his first few weeks at Alabama during an exclusive interview with BamaInsider. The freshman linebacker admitted his initial college workouts were a bit of a shock but stated it didn’t take long to get acclimated to the Tide’s processed approach.

“When you get accustomed to the system, you start to have fun,” Turner said. “I just started having fun with it, waking up happy in the morning knowing that I’m about to go get better than I was yesterday.”

The ability to better himself on a daily basis was ultimately a deciding factor in Turner’s decision to commit to Alabama. Delon remembers a conversation he had with his son while watching Will Anderson Jr.’s breakout freshman season last year.

“I want to play with that guy,” Turner told his father, “because if he's that good over there, I can be too.”

After appearing in just 53 defensive snaps over his first five games, Turner will have more of an opportunity to prove himself this week as Nick Saban listed him along with sophomore Chris Braswell as the two most likely candidates to fill in for Sanders as the starter nurses a hand injury.

While Braswell has received slightly more action with 78 defensive snaps this season, Turner’s ability to set the edge and drop back in coverage might prove handier against a Texas A&M offense led by running back Isaiah Spiller and tight end Jalen Wydermyer.

“What sets Dallas aside from everybody else is the fact that he can be a multiple-scheme guy,” Gopie said. “He can play all four downs if you need him to. He can put his hand in the dirt, but he also has great hips and can play coverage. He’s tenacious enough, strong enough and smart enough to go up against big offensive tackles, and then when it comes to rushing the passer he can run like the wind. He’s just a superior athlete.”

Gopie said he expects the above package to be on full display Saturday night as No. 1 Alabama (5-0, 2-0 in the SEC) travels to Texas A&M (3-2, 0-2) for a 7 p.m. CT kickoff inside Kyle Field.

“I’m just expecting him to continue what he’s been doing,” Gopie said. “Whether its sacks, tackles for a loss or just executing his assignment, I expect him to produce. Dallas Turner’s potential is endless, and the best is yet to come.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News