ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Harsin Article

BAMAPG

All American
Jan 11, 2004
Like most I have ver little knowledge of him .... good article ... if I was an AU fan it would not give me reason to jump for joy. At best cautious optimism. He did a good job at Boise but he was a step down from Peterson and Peterson has not taken charge of the Pac 12 which is not the SEC. He has never coaches east of Arkansas .... he was only making 1.75 so big raise ... and he wanted the big time and AU was as close as he could get ....

Not sure I can link the AThletic but ... in essence he wanted out ... seems like AU may have found the last lady at the bar at closing time ...

Below a couple of paragraphs from the article ....

“NOW is the time! The longer it takes the longer we stay in the MW,” he wrote. “I am 1000% convinced we need to make this move for football and if that means other sports too in the long run it will be what’s best for this
University.”
This sounds exactly like what Harsin wanted. But his history offers few clues about how he’ll handle his new surroundings. His only foray into anything close to this level of intensity was two seasons (2011-12) as the co-offensive coordinator at Texas. His only other experience in the SEC footprint is his one season (2013) as the head coach as Arkansas State. There, he replaced Malzahn, who had spent a year at the school before he was hired by Auburn to replace Gene Chizik, who had won the national title in 2010 and gone 0-8 in the SEC in 2012. Malzahn had been the offensive coordinator at Auburn from 2009-11, so he understood exactly what he was getting into when he became the Tigers’ head coach.

Does Harsin?

That’s the most important question, because the upper reaches of the SEC can eat coaches alive if they don’t understand the passion and intensity that surrounds their programs every second of every day. Dennis Franchione ran from it at Alabama. Chip Kelly wanted no part of it and turned down Florida to take the UCLA job. The league is a different beast in terms of coaching and recruiting, and there simply is no way to know how a newcomer will respond.

Easy to find at the ATHLETIC just not sure if it is subscriber only.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News