ADVERTISEMENT

DEAS: Sending a message

tommydeas

All American
Jan 15, 2009
I think a big, enthusiastic crowd at the NIT game tonight would send a strong message to coaching candidates that Alabama fans do support basketball.

There is a perception among many prospective coaches, I'm sure, that Alabama is a football school and that the support from the fan base isn't strong for basketball.

Now I completely understand the empty seats and people staying away the last couple of seasons as the program declined, and I'm sure all possible future coaches are smart enough to realize that, but this is a chance to send a message that a new coach will be stepping into a situation where the fan base will be energized and on board for basketball success.

What impact will that have at the negotiating table? Maybe not much, but first impressions are lasting impressions, and for a lot of coaches who may be approached about this job opening the home NIT game is a chance to make a positive first impression.

And for the vast majority out there who were urging Bill Battle to make a chance, it would be a good way to let the administration know that they support the move and that they are fully behind the basketball program.

So who's going to be there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News