ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Is Alabama winning in-state (Discussion)?

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
The 2023 class in Alabama has been hailed as one of the best classes in recent memory. There are 22 players in Alabama who rank in the Rivals250. I think it might be the most we've seen, but it also doesn't paint quite the 'Alabama' picture. Alabama's actual in-state recruiting board looks different than Rivals or any other site you may follow. While we may argue about who's right/wrong the truth is no one will really know for a few years. Keep in mind- these are projections on future, not necessarily how good they are in high school.

These are/have been Alabama's top in-state targets up to this point (no particular order)

Alabama has four in-state commitments: Tony Mitchell, Jahlil Hurley, Wilkin Formby and Yhonzae Pierre. Pierre is currently the only one who does not rank in the Rivals100. I noted after the OL/DL camp that Pierre drew a lot of comparisons (from people who watched/evaluated) to Will Anderson for his performance. I can see Pierre making a big move in the next rankings update.

Top uncommitted targets (no particular order)
Qua Russaw/James Smith: The Carver duo are not expected to decide until December. Both took officials to Auburn and Georgia this month. They were also in Tuscaloosa a week ago for an unofficial visit. Expect this a very intense battle with many different opinions until they decide. Alabama will remain in it until the end.

Peter Woods: The in-state pass rusher will announce his decision on July 8. He announced a final four which of Alabama, Clemson, Florida and Jackson State. This is a Bama/Clemson battle. Woods grew up an Alabama fan, has been heavily pursued by the Tide, visited Tuscaloosa countless times, but has also visited Clemson on several occasions including an official earlier this month. I am currently predicting Woods to announce for Clemson next week. I think with the connections, the proximity to home, etc.. will heavily weigh on him until December (if he commits to Clemson).

Kelby Collins: We went into this recruiting cycle with a very strong feeling Alabama will eventually add two of its top in-state pass rushers with Woods and Collins growing up as big Tide fans. Collins is getting a lot of love from other top schools on his list- UGA, Florida, Oklahoma and South Carolina. He will save his final official visit (the weekend before the early signing period) for Alabama. It will surprise me if Collins signs elsewhere.

Ryqueze McElderry: The UGA commitment grew up a big fan of the Crimson Tide. McElderry, however, did not receive an offer from Alabama until a week before he announced his decision, which had been previously scheduled. He has returned to Alabama 4-5 times since his commitment to the Bulldogs. There has always been an expectation that he will eventually flip. It hasn't happened yet, but still very much on 'flip watch.'

Karmello English: The Central-Phenix City receiver will announce a decision on July 2 between Auburn, Kentucky and Michigan. I don't think Alabama would have turned him down if he wanted to commit (from what I've been told), but at the same time did not recruit him as heavily as the others. Alabama will watch him during the season, and could make a big push down the road. We saw it a few years ago with another Phenix City star (Javion Cohen). I'm a really big fan of this kid. I think when healthy he is one of the top overall players in the state.

So who went elsewhere with a green light to commit?

AJ Harris: The top ranked player in Alabama committed to Georgia a few weeks ago. It wasn't a major surprise as Florida, Georgia and Ohio State were considered top contenders. Alabama recruited him, but was not considered a top contender in his recruitment. Harris moved to Alabama a few years ago (father is retired from the Army). Harris actually grew up a Notre Dame fan. He visited Alabama 3-4 times, since last spring, but the interest seemed to shift during the fall. I don't know if Harris will consider flipping down the road. I don't consider Alabama a threat to flip him though.

A few others who have been mentioned

Hunter Osborne: The in-state DL from Hewitt-Trussville has been carefully evaluated (in-person, film) throughout the last two years. Osborne attended Alabama's camp the last two years, but the staff just hasn't made a big push to land his commitment. He grew up an Alabama fan, and I've heard he has continued to improve each time the staff has evaluated. Alabama appears waiting on a few others to decide before going all-in on Osborne which could easily happen this fall, but looks like it will happen after he makes a decision.

Tommarion Parker: Parker received an offer from Alabama last fall. He visited the Alabama campus a few times including Junior Day earlier this year. Alabama liked Parker, but once again, just never made him a priority. It looked more like Alabama/UGA battle, but with neither team pressing hard for a commitment he decided to visit other schools this summer. He recently committed to Penn State.

Christopher Vizzina: The Briarwood QB is ranked the No. 2 overall player in Alabama according to Rivals. I think he's a great player, and will have an opportunity to have a great career at Clemson. He just wasn't much of a target for Alabama. Alabama identified its top QB targets. He just wasn't one of them.

Keldric Faulk: Another in-state recruit that Rivals is higher on than Alabama as he ranks as the No. 6 overall player in the state. There has been some legit interest in Faulk. The staff visited his school twice during the spring. Coach Saban also stopped by Highland Home in January. There are a few other similar players Alabama is waiting to hear before it can make a decision on Faulk. I also think if he would have camped at Alabama this month there is a chance they could have given him a green light to commit. I think he's definitely one the staff may re-visit this fall.

Other in-state recruits in the top 20
No. 10 Sylvester Smith (Tennessee)
No. 12 Dakaari Nelson (Penn State)
No. 15 Bradyn Joiner (Auburn)
No. 16 Jeremiah Cobb
No. 19 Avery Stuart
No. 20 Karmello Overton
(None of these players were heavily recruited by Alabama)

If you are looking at Alabama's big board in-state. These are the players who are on it. It's not a lot of names who have barely been mentioned on the site (no particular order): Yhonzae Pierre, Jahll Hurley, Tony Mitchell, Wilkin Formby, Qua Russaw, James Smith, Kelby Collins, Peter Woods, AJ Harris, Ryqueze McElderry. The next wave: Karmello English, Hunter Osborne, Keldric Faulk, Tomarrion Parker

So how bad is it, guys?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News