ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Petty/Coach

mowens75

All American
Apr 8, 2011
Any truth to it? Someone on Twitter saying a fight between the two. Guessing someone trolling and no truth to it, but wanted to ask if anyone has heard why he was out tonight.

Nate Oats on John Petty, James Rojas: "It was a coach's decision that they wouldn't be in the building tonight. I fully anticipate both of them being back after Christmas for the first conference game. I'm gonna leave it at that."

Petty won't be missing 5 3s every game moving forward or is he coming back, ha

Petty’s was a result of a number of things that all built up, and Oats knew we could afford not to have him tonight. Rojas was a bit more concerning… he got into it with the coaches recently and was pretty aggressive. But for now the plan is for both to just be one game “suspensions” and then move on. Think it will probably be a good thing for both players.

Petty’s was a result of a number of things that all built up, and Oats knew we could afford not to have him tonight. Rojas was a bit more concerning… he got into it with the coaches recently and was pretty aggressive. But for now the plan is for both to just be one game “suspensions” and then move on. Think it will probably be a good thing for both players.
He’s pretty aggressive in the court, especially with the ball in his hands.

If Oats loses (or has lost) control of the locker room, it will be a rough road ahead. Competition will only get stiffer and it will take the team playing as a unit to succeed. Shack finally got hot last night (after I ragged him for missing layups) and delivered. Now the question is: Can he be consistent for the remaining games?

Reactions: xcop
Josh works at the AU.com so anything negative about Alabama they’re going to stir the pot
One of my barn buddies asked me today at lunch about CNO saying something racial to JP and Rojas took up for Petty so he sat both of them yesterday and told them not to come into the building.
Hope it isn’t true Harp. Banking on you’re inside knowledge my man.

One of my barn buddies asked me today at lunch about CNO saying something racial to JP and Rojas took up for Petty so he sat both of them yesterday and told them not to come into the building.
Hope it isn’t true Harp. Banking on you’re inside knowledge my man.
That sounds ridiculous. If it was something racial I’m sure the whole team would of had Pettys back and Oates would probably be gone already.

Last edited:
John is not a smart basketball player. He gets lazy with the ball. Bad basketball IQ. Evidence is he gets ball ball in the middle on the break and passes to Bruner on left wing to lead the break. Result turnover. He is a pure open jump shooter but nothing else. Herb is similar on OFFENSE can get to the basket but can’t close. One of the best defenders in a long time at Bama.

Any truth to it? Someone on Twitter saying a fight between the two. Guessing someone trolling and no truth to it, but wanted to ask if anyone has heard why he was out tonight.
Not true. There were some words said (and no racial slurs, which is another untruth). As someone else posted on another site, it's like insubordination in the Army. The benching was a disciplinary action supported by the rest of the team.

I hate to say this, but the team seemed to play better without Petty last night. He needs to get his head in the game when he's in there.

I disagree. He may not be making his shot, but he still hustles and plays great defense. He is averaging 5 boards, 2.6 assists, and 12 points. He can post up and make jump shots. He has the ability to be an elite passer. Does he make some bad plays? Yes. I expect him to be more of a leader, and maybe this is what he needed. I expect him to be the go to player at the end of the game.

Last edited:
John is not a smart basketball player. He gets lazy with the ball. Bad basketball IQ. Evidence is he gets ball ball in the middle on the break and passes to Bruner on left wing to lead the break. Result turnover. He is a pure open jump shooter but nothing else. Herb is similar on OFFENSE can get to the basket but can’t close. One of the best defenders in a long time at Bama.
We’re seeing very different players. As noted above, Petty is an elite passer. He does force it at times and commits unforced turnovers. But, to say he is a pure shooter and nothing else is insane. We haven’t had many guards who can defend like him.

Wasn't Petty a better player last year after his one game suspension? Maybe the same result this year. One thing to remember, he has more on his plate than most college students/athletes having two children.

Reactions: pfaud001
Rooting for JP to put it together and be the player we all know he can be. The incident that made him sit seems like the incident last year to me. He is too talented to let anything interfere with his NBA goals.

Reactions: pfaud001
This may come is a news Flash to a lot of you but John petty really did not want to return this year. Outside circumstances kind of dictated it

Rooting for JP to put it together and be the player we all know he can be. The incident that made him sit seems like the incident last year to me. He is too talented to let anything interfere with his NBA goals.
You can't make sense out of what people like Sopsher, Alfano etc. do with their amazing talents. It is not as easy as some make it look to have a great attitude and work ethic. When I look in the mirror, I fall way short of standard that the GOAT has created in Bama football. Oats is making headway. But lets face the facts. The hard hat thing got to be a joke last year!

You can't make sense out of what people like Sopsher, Alfano etc. do with their amazing talents. It is not as easy as some make it look to have a great attitude and work ethic. When I look in the mirror, I fall way short of standard that the GOAT has created in Bama football. Oats is making headway. But lets face the facts. The hard hat thing got to be a joke last year!
The hard hat thing is no joke with Nate Oats, its how many on the team buy in and I see some hustle plays out of players I'm not used to seeing go that extra little bit to get a loose ball or a rebound.

The hard hat thing is no joke with Nate Oats, its how many on the team buy in and I see some hustle plays out of players I'm not used to seeing go that extra little bit to get a loose ball or a rebound.
Didn't mean that it was a joke with Coach Oats. It is like you said, not many had bought in. Its easier to recruit a good attitude than to change a bad one. He inherited what he had. Graduations and "transfers" are usually needed to fix attitude issues. The GOAT had to deal with it when he arrived. Now that he has it on a roll, 5 star transfers are accepted as part of the "process." Nick doesn't mess around with "who is on the boat." I believe Nate won't either. But with all the new faces, this year is important to develop the attitude and personality of his team.

Last edited:
Reactions: xcop and winin11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT