ADVERTISEMENT

Saban says Xavier Williams will not play this year

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

Alabama's receiving corps this season will not include Xavier Williams. The redshirt junior has not been working with the team since the spring and was recently removed from the online roster. Wednesday, head coach Nick Saban spoke briefly on Williams' absence, stating that he will miss the season with an undisclosed medical condition.

"Ziggy has some medical issues that's keeping him out," Saban said. "Without saying what... he's medically not going to play this year."

Williams, 6-foot-1, 190 pounds has yet to make much of an impact at Alabama, playing behind a stacked receiving unit that has produced four first-round picks the past three years. However, the Hollywood, Fla. native did impress during spring camp where he earned plenty of praise from teammates and coaches.

“Ziggy is kind of a jack-of-all-trades,” Saban said during spring camp. “He can play about all the positions and he’s pretty good doing them all. He’s got some ability to return punts, so he’s made really nice progress. He has experience, he knows what to do. I think he can always go in the game and help out whenever he’s called on.”

Added fellow redshirt junior receiver Slade Bolden: “He’s worked hard, done everything right these last couple of years, and continues to progress. I’m excited for him, and happy he’s waited his turn the way I had to wait my turn. He’s done some very good things this spring, and I’m excited for him and hope things work out in his favor.”

Williams came to Alabama as the No. 32 wide receiver and No. 176 overall player in the 2018 class. Even with his departure, the Tide should have plenty of depth in its receiving unit as it returns Bolden, John Metchie III, Javon Baker, Traeshon Holden, Thaiu Jones Bell. Alabama also brought in four Rivals100 receivers in Ja’Corey Brooks, Jojo Earle, Agiye Hall and Christian Leary as well as Ohio State transfer Jameson Williams.

Saban provides update on Jahleel Billingsley

Saban also provided insight on Jahleel Billingsley's status after the junior tight end was absent earlier in camp. Saban explained the Billingsley had some COVID-19 protocols he had to go through before rejoining the team. The tight end on the practice field Monday and has participated in all three of the team's workouts this week.

"He needs to work his way back up sort of the depth chart because he missed a little bit of time," Saban said.

When asked about Billingsley last week, Saban brought up the junior's level of commitment when addressing his development as a player. Billingsley is coming off a breakout season last year in which he recorded 18 receptions for 287 yards and three touchdowns. He is projected to be Alabama's No. 1 option at the tight end position this year.

“He can be a positive contributor on the team,” Saban said last week. “But he’s also got to buy into the principles and values of the team and be a good teammate. Do the things that everyone else in the organization does so that he has the respect of his teammates. We’re certainly trying to help him do that and hopefully he’ll be back out there with us in a few days. We’ll see how that all develops.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News