ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting ****Summer Insider Report II****

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
We are two weeks into the summer camp/official visit season, and while there hasn't been any public commitments things have gone better than expected for many top visitors. The 'commitment' calendar has shifted with all the new NIL opportunities. A high majority of Alabama top targets will take most, if not all, official visits before making a decision. We are seeing a high number of players taking all of their official visits this month which should result in substantial increase in commitments prior to the start of the season (expect many in July).

I’ll keep the same pattern from our first summer Insider Report

On the officials

I am not going to discuss NIL as far as which recruits it's important to during this cycle. I will say the majority of recruits who have visited Alabama haven't asked. There are some who have.... It's a factor for 'some' especially out-of-state players who will attract significant NIL deals. The tricky part is the unknown. There are some who may not ask for any deal and then out of nowhere a significant opportunity presents itself on the NIL front at X-University. There are some who are receiving deals and it may not matter to them. We just don't know until these guys are closer to making a decision. Alabama will continue to present what the program has to offer and the belief is that when the majority of its key targets make decisions they will roll the Tide's way.

Manning isn't likely to speak to the media again until after he takes all of official visits. I've talked with a few different people in the last few hours who indicated things continue to go really well with Manning and his family. They love the championship culture, the development at quarterback and the coaching staff. Alabama's pursuit of Manning didn't slow down after Eli Holstein committed. He continues to feel like a top priority for the Tide. Alabama would have continued recruiting Holstein if it was Manning on the commitment list.

They want two quarterbacks and these are the ones they want (+Dylan Lonergan). Competition is wide open after Bryce Young leaves. That's a key part of their message. From my perspective- it's hard to imagine Alabama will land Manning. Are they legit still in the race? It very much seems so. Anything seems possible with Manning. I don't think he knows where he wants to go. I think it's all speculation from every reporter in the country as to which way he is leaning. He has big visit this weekend to Texas. Alabama is still in the thick of it.

Young has visited Alabama 3-4 times and continues to grow comfortable with the coaching staff. This was another great visit for Young and his family. I continue to believe Alabama has a strong lead in his recruitment. He is not doing any interviews right now. Some big visits ahead with a trip to Notre Dame and Georgia this week. He will visit Oregon next weekend. Young also visited Oklahoma. Expect a commitment from Young before the start of the season.

This is one Alabama really needed to knock out of the park to become a serious contender. They did. This is Mauigoa's first and likely only visit to Alabama before making a decision. It went a lot better than he and his family expected. They know Alabama is a football factory that has produced several high NFL draft picks on the offensive front. His family also had a great time where they learned a lot about what Alabama can do to help their son in all aspects. There is also the IMG pipeline with Evan Neal (selected No. 7 overall), JC Latham and Tyler Booker. He was also hosted by former teammate Jihaad Campbell. Alabama set the bar high for Mauigoa. It was, however, his first official. He visits Florida, USC, Miami and Tennessee. Alabama laid out its plan, need for offensive linemen and the recent draft history.

Proctor isn't talking to the media much. No luck in reaching him since the spring. I spoke with a few different people who spent time around him this past weekend. Alabama believes it's strongly in the race and will have a chance, but Iowa is a bit of a challenge. Iowa is going to do everything it takes to try and keep Proctor home. He may want to go there, regardless, but Alabama will make it extremely difficult. Alabama has recruited Proctor since last summer. He does not plan to announce a decision until the fall.

Johnson took his second visit to Alabama this past weekend after visiting the Tide in April. He was hosted throughout the weekend by sophomore DB Terrion Arnold. I spoke with Johnson about the visit. He said spending time with the players and going over to Coach Saban's house (on Sunday) was the best part of the visit. Alabama is still recruiting him as an athlete- DB or WR. He seemed to have a great time, and Alabama is on the short list. The biggest obstacle if he wants to stay home. He has visited Oklahoma several times, and they have made a big push. I don't know which way he is leaning, but my gut says he doesn't leave Oklahoma.

Another terrific visit is in the book for Alinen after he visited Alabama with his entire family. Alinen visited Alabama three times prior to his official. This was the first time his family visited. There was some thought he might make a decision after his visit, but Alinen is going to enjoy his remaining visits including trips to Georgia, Miami and Ohio State. He has already visited Miami. We will see how things go these next few weeks, but I believe Alabama is in very good position to land the Finnish lineman. Alinen talks Alabama visit

Aguirre also had great time visiting again. I wasn't sure prior to the visit how much of a 'push' he has received from Alabama. Aguirre felt a lot of love from the Alabama staff during his trip. He definitely has a 'green light' to commit. He was hosted by freshman linebacker Shawn Murphy. His mom and brothers joined him in Tuscaloosa. It's hard to get a good read on which direction Aguirre is leaning in his recruitment. He has taken officials to Alabama and Florida. A visit to Ohio State is set for June 24-26. He is considering another visit this month with Arkansas, Georgia and Miami under consideration.

Formby has visited Alabama several times throughout the year. He attended multiple practices during the spring which were unannounced visits. There is a strong connection with the coaches led by Eric Wolford who started recruiting Formby when he was at Kentucky. There are rumors Ole Miss is in the driver's seat and there are different opinions as to why. Some believe Ole Miss may present a better opportunity as far as playing time, while others think there isn't a committable offer from the Tide. The latter is usually the go-to for most if they think an in-state recruit goes out-of-state. 1. Formby is heavily recruited by Alabama. They want him. He definitely has a committable offer. 2. I don't buy Ole Miss as the favorite. I believe he is enjoying the recruiting process/visits. I expect a decision in July. I'll be surprised if it's not Alabama. Formby goes in-depth on Alabama OV

This was a big visit for Hill and Alabama to get a realistic sense of what he's looking for in a school. I do think of all the officials (including Arch) that Hill might be the most challenging player for Alabama to land in its class. Yes, he said all the right things. "I definitely plan on coming back. The culture there is different. It was good getting to talk to the staff and Coach Golding. The relationship with the coaches has been good, but after this trip I feel like it will get better." Hill also said the visit "definitely" helped Alabama's chances. It was his second visit to Alabama. Texas A&M is still gonna be tough to beat....

200.webp

Other notable recruits in Tuscaloosa in this past week

Eli Holstein: The Alabama commitment returned to Tuscaloosa on Thursday prior to the official visit weekend. He was not in town during Arch's visit.

Kelby Collins: The heavily recruited in-state target was back in town on Monday. He traveled to Tuscaloosa to watch his younger brother compete in Alabama's camp. He did get some face time with the Tide coaches including Nick Saban. Collins has taken officials this month to Florida and South Carolina. He will visit Georgia on June 24-26. He will take an official to Alabama the weekend before the early signing period. Collins is enjoying the process, but in the end I still expect him to sign with the Tide.

Raymond Pulido: I heard a lot of great things regarding Pulido's performance in camp last Wednesday. He measured 6-foot-6, 340-pounds and moved extremely well for his size. He made a big move up the Alabama recruiting board. Expect a major push for the Tide. Pulido is recruited as a guard.

Brayson Hubbard: Hubbard was, somewhat, on Alabama's radar before he attended the Tide's camp a few weeks ago. Alabama visited his high school in January, but really wanted to see him work out at safety. He won Class 6A Mr. Football after his performance at quarterback this past season. Hubbard worked out at safety for the first time and quickly earned an offer from Nick Saban. He also clocked a 4.50- 40 at Alabama's camp which is a legit time (not a dad or high school coach on the quick trigger). Hubbard has a committable offer, and definitely someone Alabama is very excited about.

Derek Williams: The Rivals100 safety from Louisiana was a surprise visitor for the Tide this past weekend. He was in town on Friday/Saturday on an unofficial visit. He did not work out in camp. There is speculation Alabama is the front-runner. I think Alabama will have a hard time turning him down if he wants to commit.

Christopher Johnson Jr.: Another new name to know in the 2023 class. Johnson received an offer from Alabama on Monday. He is ranked as a running back, but I'm told the staff is recruiting Johnson more as an athlete. He won the state championship in the 100m this spring with a time of 10.45.

Peyton Woodring: We expected Alabama to extend an offer shortly after the kicking camp on Saturday. Alabama offered Woodring on Monday evening. He is the first kicker to receive an offer from Alabama in this class. Alabama is also the favorite to land his signature. I think we will see a decision happen soon.

Jordan Matthews: The Baton Rouge native earned an offer from Alabama after his camp performance last week. A few of Alabamas top CB targets will visit this weekend- Cormani McClain, Makari Vickers and Damari Brown. Alabama will likely see where it stands with those players since they have been recruited for a long time.

Arvell Reese: No chance to speak with Reese just yet about his visit to Tuscaloosa last week. His teammate, Bryce West, received an offer an offer last week, but continued to hear rave reviews about Reese's performance. Reese was offered by Alabama last month. He has a green light to commit. I hope to have something with him this week.

Hunter Osborne: We have discussed Osborne a lot throughout the last year. He received an offer at Junior Day, but the staff has continued evaluating him. He worked out last Wednesday, and heard he did well. Alabama may not have any DL commitments, but there are several who are strongly in the mix. I think Osborne will decide before Alabama makes the big push. It's one of those situations where I can see him committing elsewhere and then Alabama pushing for a flip in November/December.

Colin Simmons: The Tide welcomed the No. 1 recruit in 2024 on campus last Thursday. Simmons told Adam Gorney that the visit was a "10 out of 10." He has developed a good relationship early in his recruitment with Nick Saban. Texas is a tough place to recruit right now, but Alabama is a major contender.

Julian Sayin: The five-star quarterback visited Alabama on Monday. It was a short visit, but he had plenty of time with Nick Saban and Bill O'Brien. A decision will likely happen in October or November. Sayin will try to return to Tuscaloosa for a game this fall (if his schedule allows it). Alabama likely won't take a 2024 quarterback before Arch Manning makes a final decision. That could happen this summer, but if Manning pushes it until late fall it may be hard for for the Tide to accept a commitment. We'll see, but Alabama typically likes to sign its quarterback (s) before it adds one for the next class. Alabama is heavily involved with some of the best in 2024 including Sayin, Jadyn Davis and DJ Lagway. We'll see some others participate in camp this week like Josh Flowers and Michael Van Buren who have also been 'offered'.

Underclassmen who made big impressions in the last week

(This is not a list of who was offered. There are several offers that are not committable. These are the names I was told had a great performance, but there are still some on this list who need to perform at a high level this upcoming season.)

Perry Thompson, 2024 three-star wide receiver from Foley High School in Alabama (outstanding, definitely one of Alabama's top in-state targets)
Jordan Lockhart, 2024 four-star linebacker from St. John Bosco HS in Bellflower, California (strong flip candidate from Ole Miss)
Blaize Cameron, 2024 linebacker from Clarkson HS in Ontario, Canada
Liam Andrews, 2024 Rivals100 offensive tackle from Dexter HS in Brookline, Massachusetts (needs to get bigger- Weighed 260-pounds)
Jacob Smith, 2024 four-star outside linebacker from Loomis Chaffee HS in Windsor, Connecticut
Jerod Smith, 2024 four-star defensive end from Loomis Chaffee HS in Windsor, Connecticut
Charleston Collins, 2024 defensive end from Pine Bluff HS in Arkansas (Needs good film this fall)
Anquon Fegans, 2025 cornerback from Thompson High School in Alabaster, Alabama

Confirmed official visits this week:
Cormani McClain
Samson Okunlola
Caleb Downs
Shelton Sampson
Justice Haynes
Damon Wilson
Makari Vickers
Damari Brown
Ronan Hanafin
Malik Benson
Jelani Thurman
*Benson will visit Alabama on Wednesday. All other official visits will begin on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News