ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Summer Insider Report IV

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
Some thoughts on NIL

We have seen a lot of official visitors in Tuscaloosa this month. I mentioned a few weeks ago about NIL a topic of conversation, but not necessarily a situation where recruits were coming in asking how many deals they can get, etc...Now that we have entered the dead period and decisions are about to drop I can say that it is becoming a factor for a few more players than expected.

There may have been recruits who visited Alabama earlier this month, weren't very concerned about NIL, and then took visits elsewhere. Now circling back to see if there are similar NIL opportunities in Tuscaloosa. There have been some in town the last few weekends who have also taken other visits the month and been told what their value is worth to X-school.

Alabama is still Alabama Everyone is trying to get to the top. Alabama wants to stay there, but recognizes the recruiting game has changed. Alabama has educated recruits on NIL- explained what you can/can't do. Some of these kids, who may come from tough backgrounds, are getting life-changing deals, not only for themselves, but also for their family. It is challenging. A lot will still make decisions based on the success of the program, NFL connections, etc.., but there are also a lot who are going to a good school, but with a significant NIL deal in place especially if you are considered one of the best players in the country.

One recruit I did hear had zero concern about NIL- Arch Manning. He may have the most value of any recruit in the country, and could have easily demanded it. I'm sure he has plenty of NIL offers, but just was never an important issue for him while he was recruited. I heard the exact same on Eli Holstein. So it's not a major surprise he backed off his pledge to A&M.

We are seeing so much on the table especially from schools that haven't had much success. I am not going to name those programs, but I think you can easily figure that one out. There are deep pockets willing to contribute to collectives in order to land the best recruits possible (even though that not the intention of NIL. It's certainly turned into that as we know). The hope for some schools is that kids will choose NIL $$$ over the actual football program which is in fact taking place.

We don't know everyone's situation. Everyone is different. Some kids just aren't going to be 'bought' as Coach Saban likes to say no matter what you throw in front of them. Many are going take the high dollar NIL contract, and there are a lot who will wait to see who is willing to up the ante (on the NIL front) for them to join the class. There are kids out there who want to go to Alabama or maybe another school, but how are you going to say no to a 2-3 million dollar deal to go elsewhere? There are kids not even looking for major NIL deals, and will receive a significant deal from X school. Do you just say, no thanks?

I've seen coaches get bashed on this site and elsewhere for not doing enough. I've seen comments about Alabama potentially missing on someone and how it's an epic fail, blah blah blah. A lot of this is NIL driven right now. There are still some who just think a school might be a better fit for them. There are plenty of (NIL) opportunities at Alabama, and that's what the message is for recruits, but promises- like guaranteed four year, multi-million dollar deals, a new car every six months, penthouse apartment, new boat, etc.. just isn't part of the Tide's recruiting pitch.

Other programs just have significantly more money being raised to help with their collectives. We'll likely see major apparel corporations get involved. Think about AAU basketball (before they were busted). You don't think these companies want the best recruits in the country to wear their brand for the next 3-4 years? Maybe something to follow especially with kids going to schools that should not have even been in contention for certain players.

I don't know what's in the Alabama collective. I know it's less than several other schools right now. I think there are campaigns going on to help raise money, but when you are used to success- championships, first round draft picks, consistent top recruiting classes-some may not think it's necessary to provide a NIL deal or contribute. I think that's why Coach Saban was so fired up last month. He knows the landscape has changed. He is trying to adapt, but also wants to do it the right way. That's why you have yet to see Alabama in any news report as providing significant NIL deals to recruits.

Alabama did everything it could this month to educate each recruit on NIL, and provide enough material, stats, etc.. to show why it believes its the best school for these players in the long-run (not just money for short term). Everyone talked about one particular school last year. Now a lot of other schools have joined the party and with boosters seeing how there really aren't any rules/salary caps in place they are eagerly joining in on the fun. They see it as a way to help bring back their program as a future title contender.

I had one prominent Alabama person say to me (in just a general conversation)- "I don't understand how these kids are getting so much money? They have yet to prove anything except they are good in high school. Why would I sign them to an NIL deal when I know nothing about how good they will be once they arrive?" That's how a lot of people feel, but there are also many on the opposite side of that thinking- if we don't do something now we won't be able to compete with the Alabama's, Georgia, Ohio State's of the world. Of course that's something that's been going on a lot longer than NIL.

On the official visitors from this past weekend

This is our fourth Insider Report of the summer. I am going to keep it similar to the previous ones. Always take into account OVs don't always indicate 'priority' targets. You get as many of your top guys on campus even if it's ones who might be Plan B type players. You spend a lot of time with them throughout the days they are in town and determine if that's someone you really want as a part of your program. Most of the time they are, but there are certain players who just don't get a major push from Alabama (or others) after they visit. This isn't necessarily because of NIL. Alabama is still heavily targeting players who they know they are likely on the outside looking in for because of NIL deals.

Jordan Renaud, four-star defensive end from Legacy HS in Tyler, Texas
I submitted a FutureCast for Alabama in April. I don't anticipate changing it prior to his announcement. Renaud had an unbelievable experience. It was his mom's first visit. I encourage all to read everything he had to say about his visit. I think his relationship with former teammate, Jamarion Miller, is also a major factor. Oklahoma and FSU also remain in the mix. I am confident in my prediction.

Rueben Bain, four-star defensive end from Central HS in Miami
This has been an uphill climb since day 1 with Bain. We are seeing what Miami is pushing to recruits with NIL. Bain also has family connections including an uncle who is on the Miami support staff. Alabama is doing everything it can to make sure he feels wanted/needed in Tuscaloosa. He called Alabama his best visit of the summer. There is a ton of pressure on him to stay home and it's extremely difficult to spurn the Hurricanes, but Alabama is very realistic threat. They will remain the biggest competitor to Mario Cristobal until he decides.

Edric Hill, four-star defensive end from North HS in Kansas City
I started mentioning Hill as a very realistic target for Alabama a few months ago. Hill camped at Alabama last summer, and also returned for Junior Day. The staff carefully evaluated him during the spring and determined he is one of the best defensive linemen in the country. He measured 6-foot-3, 277-pounds during his OV this past weekend. I have submitted a FutureCast in favor of Alabama. It will not surprise me if we see something happen very soon.

Jeremiyah Love, Rivals100 running back from Christian Brothers in St. Louis
Love had a great official visit with his entire family. I don't know how important NIL deals are ultimately for him once he is ready to make a decision (likely in August). Alabama is on his short list. The staff has high interest. We will just have to see where things are as he gets closer to making a decision. I hope to have an interview with Love later today.

Lawson Luckie, three-star tight end from Norcross HS in Georgia
:The UGA commitment returned to Tuscaloosa for the third time since he made his decision earlier this year. His father played for the Bulldogs and is close with Kirby Smart. I don't think he would keep visiting if there was little interest in Alabama. Luckie lives with his mom, but took the visit with both of his parents. He's a take for the Crimson Tide. We've heard his mom really likes Alabama. Just more in the wait-and-see approach right now. Alabama is in it, but I don't think we will see anything happen soon.

Kaleb Jackson, four-star running back from Liberty Magnet HS in Baton Rouge
Jackson is well put together back that is a priority target for a lot of schools including LSU. Jackson is recruited by Alabama, but the Tide will likely have to wait for final decisions from Richard Young, Justice Hayes and even Jeremiyah Love before making a really strong push for Jackson. I think the staff likes him though. I expect he will likely stay in-state.

Aidan Mizell, Rivals100 wide receiver from Boone HS in Orlando
Alabama won't sign many receivers in this class after the 2022 haul, but still targeting some of the best players in the country at the position. Mizell visited Alabama for the second time since April. I don't really see Alabama as a major contender in Mizell's recruitment. Expect him to sign elsewhere.

Other significant '23 recruits who were in Tuscaloosa last week

Malik Muhammad, Rivals100 cornerback from South Oak Cliff HS in Dallas
The Texas DB has visited Alabama several times including four trips to Tuscaloosa in 2022. This kid loves Alabama, but these Texas schools are making it very hard for any top recruits to leave the state. It's probably the same situation with Muhammad, but we'll see. Every person I talked to say the visit went great and his family loves the program. The in-state schools are putting its best effort into keeping him from signing with Alabama. T-Rob has done a really good job here, but there's only so much an assistant coach can do.

Suntarine Perkins, Rivals100 linebacker from Raleigh HS in Mississippi
Alabama was excited to get the Ole Miss commitment back on campus during the weekend. He attended the cook-out on Friday, and watched camp on Saturday. Perkins didn't necessarily have to work-out, but have heard the Tide coaches would have liked to seen him in action. Always tough to pull kids out of Mississippi, but Alabama is very much in the race for him.

Demetrius Bell, four-star wide receiver from Blackman HS in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Bell is one of two receivers in the 2023 class who received offers from Alabama this month. Jaren Hamilton also received an offer from the Tide. Heard a lot of good things about Bell's performance- crisp route runner, very polished. He doesn't have the same breakaway speed as Hamilton, but is very good. Expect Alabama to recruit both-with a chance to sign one.

Miles McVay, four-star offensive tackle from East St. Louis HS in Illinois
McVay visited Alabama Monday-Wednesday. I have a very strong FutureCast for Alabama.

On upcoming decisions

July 1

Riley Williams: The Oregon native recently announced plans to transfer to IMG Academy. He visited Alabama the first weekend of June. There was talk his commitment may come down to Alabama and Oregon. The Ducks have been removed from competition. It now appears Miami is in the driver's seat to land his commitment.

July 4
Francis Mauigoa: The highly touted lineman from IMG Academy has some of the higher profile NIL schools knocking at his door. He and his family were blown away by the first visit to Alabama earlier this month. I think the Tide felt like it had a very strong chance to land his commitment after the visit, but it just seems like he will go elsewhere. One thing to keep in mind- He wasn't really discussed as a realistic target until after his official visit.

July 5
Malik Benson: The Tide's top JuCo WR target is set to announce his decision after taking official visits this month. He named Tennessee as his favorite after a visit to Knoxville, but this is one coming down to Alabama and Georgia. I really like where Alabama sits right now. I have submitted a FutureCast for the Tide.

July 8
Peter Woods: I posted last Thursday (current) predictions for Woods to Clemson, and Tony Mitchell to Alabama. Mitchell announced his commitment to the Tide on Sunday evening. Woods is on deck. The momentum has been on Clemson for the last few weeks. I am still predicting Clemson as of now. That being said, Alabama is still in it. Woods was in Tuscaloosa the last two weekends, but we've confirmed through multiple sources he did not meet with the coaching staff. He was in town visiting friends (who just happen to be on the team). We've heard that several players are in contact with Woods telling him how important he is for this class, and how he is needed. I don't know if it will play much of a factor, but let’s not count out Alabama just yet in his recruitment. This is something that weighs heavily on Woods until he signs in December regardless of his choice a week from Saturday.

July 12
Dylan Lonergan: Alabama wants Lonergan as the second quarterback in its class. They have done a really good job of making him feel like a priority target despite the commitment from Eli Holstein and pursuit of Arch Manning. The staff has a lot of confidence in him as a player. I was told yesterday, prior to his official visit to Stanford this past weekend, Alabama felt like it was in the driver's seat. He decided to push back his commitment (originally on July 5). I don't know what that means, but Alabama is realistically in the race and not just seen as another hat on the table. Lonergan plans on also playing baseball. He spoke with Alabama baseball coach Brad Bohanon via Zoom on Monday evening. We should know more in the next week or so.

July 16
Raul Aguirre: I have heard for a while that as long as Alabama makes a big push they will likely land Aguirre's commitment. The four-star took officials this month to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State and Texas. Alabama has continued recruiting him and they want him as a part of this class. I like the Tide's chances.

July 23
Malik Bryant: Now this is one that isn't quite wrapped up as many suspect. Bryant spent three days in Tuscaloosa earlier this month before he started taking his official visits which has included trips to Florida, Maryland and Miami. This is the No. 1 outside linebacker in the country who resides in Orlando. I think it's understood the challenge Alabama has in front of them especially after the visit to Coral Gables this past weekend. It's just hard to really know what NIL deals may be in place. I am still predicting Alabama, but it's a lot tighter than it was after his visit to Alabama.

Others who may decide soon....

Justin Jefferson: One of the Tide's premier targets in this class. I noted earlier this month that the Alabama coaches were blown away with Jefferson after he participated in camp. He can fly to the football, is very instinctive and has a high football IQ. He also has clocked a 4.37 40-yard dash. I expect a decision very soon in favor of Alabama. (Update: Jefferson committed to Alabama on Tuesday).

Kadyn Proctor: Proctor announced a final two of Alabama and Iowa last week. I heard prior to his OV to Iowa this past weekend that Alabama felt it was in very strong position to land his commitment, and was also told that Proctor intends on returning to Tuscaloosa in late July. That said- there has been a lot of chatter, at least on the Iowa side, he will stay in-state. We're still digging here, but it’s a complete 180 from what we heard last week if he picks the Hawkeyes even thought they have been perceived as the long-time favorite. (Update: I am predicting Proctor to Iowa).

Olaus Alinen: Alinen has returned home to Finland to discuss with his family his options and when he will make a final decision. He took official visits to Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Ohio State and Oregon. He has visited Alabama more than the others (not that has an indication on where he will commit). I do think Alabama lands his commitment.

Ryqueze McElderry: The in-state lineman has been committed to Georgia since November, but he has been on flip watch ever since. He grew up an Alabama fan and continues to receive heavy attention from the Tide. We are likely about to see a wave of commitments on the O-line. Spots will get filled pretty quickly. I think we will see Alabama encourage him to make a decision sooner than later.

Ronan Hanafin: We will likely see Hanafin make a decision sometime in July. I still expect his choice to come down between Alabama and Notre Dame. A lot will depend on where he wants to play- linebacker or wide receiver. I've heard that Coach Saban was pretty honest with him about his future position. The belief if he wants to be successful and take his game to the NFL his best bet is on defense. He considers himself an offensive player, but he is open to the idea of permanently switching to defense.

Who else might decide in the next month or two?
Cormani McClain (I currently lean Alabama)
Richard Young (I still lean Alabama)
Caleb Downs (This is very tight between Alabama, UGA and Ohio State)
Justice Haynes (It will surprise me if it's not UGA, but Alabama is giving him plenty to consider)
Cole Adams (Update: I am predicting Adams to Alabama)
Makari Vickers (Still love where Alabama sits in his recruitment)

On the latest Alabama commitments
Tony Mitchell: Big, big win for Alabama with the in-state DB. Most expected him to go out-of-state the last few months, but after two trips to Tuscaloosa after his OV to Texas A&M the Crimson Tide sealed the deal. Mitchell will play star or safety.

Brayson Hubbard: Alabama took Hubbard's commitment over some other very highly touted safeties including one who just made decision on Monday....Hubbard measured 6-foot-2, 190-pounds and clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash during the Tide's camp earlier this month. Hubbard is recruited as an athlete, but he is expected to play safety. He may not have the offers or the stars that some prefer, but he received Nick Saban, Pete Golding and Charles Kelly approval. All that matters.

Perry Thompson: Alabama doesn't like to take early commitments from players who have yet to enter their junior season. Thompson was a show-stopper at Alabama's camp a few weeks ago, earned an offer and decided to go ahead with his decision. One source told me, "He was the best WR in camp all month." It doesn't hurt when you are 6-foot-3, 206-pounds and clock a 4.50 40.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News