ADVERTISEMENT

Tidebits 🐘 The latest on Damon Wilson, Jalen Hale, Caleb Downs, Cormani McClain, Texas visitors, more

Russell Johnson

All Conference
Staff
May 19, 2016
Alabama is just a few days away now from one of their biggest non-conference road games in recent memory. Their opponent also happens to be hosting one of their top uncommitted targets for an official visit this weekend.

Let's get into the TideBits..

Mill Creek (Ga.) S Caleb Downs was in Atlanta over the weekend for the UGA vs. Oregon game, raising questions about his commitment status and if he still may be entertaining UGA. After talking to numerous sources, this is one that UGA still wants badly. Per my sources, It is highly unlikely that Downs will de-commit, and even less likely that he would flip to UGA. A lot of recruits around the state of Georgia wanted free tickets to the biggest game of the weekend, and that is what it seems was the case with Downs. UGA is going to continue to push after losing out on the top two of Georgia's best for 2023 (Justice Haynes as well) but Alabama fans should not be worried or have any doubts on Downs' commitment status at this time. Downs is closer to getting his fifth star than he is to flipping to UGA.

Ah, yes. The prospect everyone has been asking about since Sunday, Tex. WR Jalen Hale. Hale is not someone that enjoys talking with the media. Hale had his Alabama official visit last weekend, and went into it with a bit of distance between them and Texas, his perceived leader for several months now. The OV, per my sources, was incredible and gave Jalen and his family a lot to think about as his decision date rapidly approaches. The Hale family left a great impression on the Alabama staff as well. He will be in Austin this weekend on his official visit to Texas, and is going into that visit with much more of a 1A, 1B approach. A blowout win in Alabama's favor could be huge for their chances, and some around recruiting in Texas wonder if Alabama will run up the score if they have the chance to aid their efforts here. If you put a gun to my head this morning and said I needed to either pick Texas or Alabama , I would likely lean towards picking Alabama, but that's coming off the post-visit high and the momentum the Crimson Tide have built the last couple months on the trail with commitments at other positions.

Texas A&M has secured an OV from Hale, which will take place next weekend as the Aggies take on a dangerous Miami team. They are not expected to become a true contender here, but A&M isn't in the business of wasting OV's just to waste them. Alabama and Texas sources alike do not seem concerned at this time.

Per my sources, an Alabama presence is expected in attendance at his game this weekend, as Hale and his teammates take on Jordan Renaud and his teammates.

Hale is far from the only Alabama target heading to Austin this weekend... TE target Duce Robinson of Ariz. will also be on an official visit.

Texas is going all out on using this matchup to help aid their recruiting efforts for the 2023, 2024, even 2025 classes. It will be interesting to see how that works out for them, especially if the game gets out of hand.

Other noteworthy 2024 targets expected to be in attendance-

QB Michael Hawkins
DE Zina Umeozulu
DE Nigel Smith
WR Micah Hudson
S Corian Gipson
RB Derrick McFall
RB Bryan Jackson

There is a level of anxiety among sources close to the Longhorns program that this could become a HUGE 2024 recruiting weekend for the Crimson Tide, particularly with their efforts in recruiting the state of Texas if they are able to win handily.

Five-star CB Cormani McClain visited Florida over the weekend, and per my sources, continues to be in a back-and-forth between the Gators and Alabama. There were a few people that believe Florida has taken a commanding lead in McClain's recruitment, but the sources I spoke with were not ready to go that far whatsoever. McClain is not a social media king, and is not as active on social media as many of his fellow potential future teammates. That alone led TI to question the rumors flying around about a possible commitment or outright leader.

Getting McClain back on campus for a return visit next month is the next big thing set to take place in his recruitment. At that time, Alabama will have a much better feel for where they stand, and if needed can either turn up the heat further or move on other targets.

Lastly, there has been a lot of questions asked about Fla. DL Damon Wilson recently, both in my DM's and on social media. After doing some digging, Damon Wilson seems to be leaning toward UGA. He did his Ohio St OV over the weekend, and they are probably sitting in a close second now to the Bulldogs. Alabama could turn the heat back up here and things could get interesting, but it seems far more likely he ends up in Athens at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News