ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops šŸ€ Thoughts on Alabamaā€™s Loss to Clemson

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Just when you thought things couldnā€™t get worse, update.. they just did. Alabama found out what it would be like if they didnā€™t shoot the ball well AND played poor defense. That accumulated into a 85-77 loss to Clemson.

The first half was more about the poor shooting than it was defense. I thought the defense was fine for the most part and they were playing hard on that end, but offensively they couldnā€™t buy a shot. Starting out 1-12 from 3. I thought they were settling too much early on and playing around with Clemson. Now, if they just hit a few of those, theyā€™d have gotten in a groove and likely took off. However, this is a team that thrives off momentum and they just couldnā€™t seem to gain it.

They came back in the second half and looked better offensively and built a 7 point lead on an 8-0 run very quickly. However, Clemson went on their own 13-0 run to ultimately take the lead for good. The defense was horrendous, offense couldnā€™t hit a shot, and just seemed like the effort took a big hit after that run.

At some point, Mohammed Wague will have to play extended minutes because Nick Pringle cannot do anything positive for this team. Heā€™s far from the problem, but he doesnā€™t help anywhere, while Wague actually defends and pesters guys. You could tell at times that Alabamaā€™s players arenā€™t built for a physical game. Jarin Stevenson got abused and hunted last night, as did Sam Walters when he was on the floor. Now these are young guys, but guys like Grant Nelson were getting beat bad as well.

I think things can and will get better, as they canā€™t get any worse. The problem right now is theyā€™re about to hit a 3 game stretch where that a have a week to figure it out. Theyā€™re still going to make the tournament so donā€™t start that talk, but potentially 5 non conference losses stinks after years past of non conference success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News