ADVERTISEMENT

Tidebits 🐘 TideBits: Opening weekend impressions in Georgia, Downs shines, new names on the radar, more

Russell Johnson

All Conference
Staff
May 19, 2016
Video highlights to come, but below are some thoughts from the weekend. I watched 8 games in a span of three days, and these were the names that stuck out the most..

Most Impressive target or commit-Mill Creek S Caleb Downs

Going into the weekend, Rivals100 S Caleb Downs was already heavily involved in the five-star conversation. Following his performance against Walton, Downs has to be right there at the doorstep as one of the top contenders for that coveted fifth star.

Downs showed off his explosiveness on the offensive side of the ball, taking off in a blur for a long TD run early in the game, and then nearly had a pick six had it not been for the friendly fire tackle of Jamal Anderson just short of the goal line.

Late in the game Downs was fighting cramps, and still found several ways to make a difference, including key tackles and coverage which left Walton unable to respond late.

Downs is the top player in this No. 1 rated Alabama class, and after seeing him in-person, has my vote as someone worth of a fifth star.

ALL OPENING WEEKEND TEAM

QB
2023- Dylan Lonergan, Brookwood
2024- Jeremy Hecklinski, Walton
2025- Ryan Hall, North Gwinnett
RB- Jaylon Brown, McEachern
RB Makari Bodiford, Walton
RB Justice Haynes, Buford
WR Zion Taylor, Norcross
WR Makhail Wood, Mill Creek
WR KJ Bolden, Buford
WR Cameron Lloyd, Walton
TE Mike Matthews, Parkview
DE Eddrick Houston, Buford
DE Peter Woods, Thompson
DT Kayden McDonald, North Gwinnett
LB Jamal Anderson, Mill Creek (listed mostly for his play on offense, but will play LB in college)
LB Jalen Smith, Grayson
LB Ashton Woods, Walton
LB Tyler Atkinson, Grayson
CB Kaleb Beasley, Lipscomb Academy
CB Anquon Fegans, Thompson
S Rob Billings, Milton
S Caleb Downs, Mill Creek
DB Devin Hunter, Norcross

ON THE RADAR

New on the radar-
With a full story to come on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, here are four new names that were not really on my list of guys to watch going into the weekend, but now I am looking further into and planning on evaluating further. Whether or not Alabama becomes involved with any of them is yet to For the sake of this exercise, I have each of the next three classes represented below-

2024 Lipscomb Academy (Tenn.) CB Kaleb Beasley (knew of him, but he blew me away)
2025 North Gwinnett QB Ryan Hall
2026 Kell WR Peyton Zachary

CLOSING NOTE

For those wondering where Tony Mitchell is at on this list, Mitchell was not tested much at all on Friday night. In his role as a boundary corner, his job is to prevent them from making plays on that side of the field and he did that job well. Mitchell did not have a chance to make any big plays, as Buford was able to find room elsewhere en route to an impressive blowout win over Thompson.

As a result of Mitchell's efforts Fegans (listed above) had several chances to make plays, lining up with fellow 2024 recruit KJ Bolden on several occasions.

Fegans impressed as an open-field tackler, as well as in coverage with impressive football IQ and ball skills for his age.

Four-star DT target Edric Hill announces his commitment today. I am feeling VERY confident in my FutureCast as of this morning, which has him choosing the Crimson Tide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News