ADVERTISEMENT

Tony's takes: Breaking down what Nick Saban said ahead of Alabama's second scrimmage

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Nick Saban spoke to reporters Wednesday as Alabama prepares for its second spring scrimmage this weekend. Here’s a transcript of what he said as well as my takes on what it means.

Opening statement

"So I think three points of emphasis that we've really tried to make after the scrimmage is really getting the guys to sustain, to finish, better effort to finish plays, better effort to maintain your intensity -- whether it's during the play, the next play or the 50th play — to be able to sustain and have the mental toughness to be able to maintain and sustain your energy so you can finish plays. That also leads into mental errors.

"We've got to eliminate mental errors. Too many times, guys aren't doing what they're supposed to do and it leads to negative plays. So we're constantly trying to teach guys cause and effect. When you do this and you don't do it right, this is what happens. If you do it right, this is what happens. We have to get more consistency in performance, and I think it goes back to sustaining and maintaining intensity -- the same way you have to finish a play -- so that we eliminate mental errors, everybody can do their job and we can play better as a team. And that bleeds right into the other point of emphasis, which is penalties.

"You know, it's been a big emphasis for us this spring to eliminate penalties, and I think it goes back to the same thing. If I can maintain and sustain my intensity and focus on, whether it's jumping offsides, whether it's illegal motion, whether it's wrong formation. And half of our penalties have been pre- or post-snap. In other words, they don't happen during the play. And those things can all be eliminated if we just have a little bit of discipline, a little better focus and maintain intensity. So those are the things that we really want to emphasize.

"The last two days in practice, I thought the intensity's been good. I think the spirit's been good. I like the spirit of the team. I said that after the scrimmage. There's just a lot of things. We got a lot of young guys who've got a lot of things to work on to try and get a little better consistency in performance. So that's our focus this week. That'll be our focus for the scrimmage so that we get a little better execution on a little more consistent basis.

"Obviously, we've got the high school coaches clinic coming up this week. This is one thing we always look forward to. Coaches do a lot for us. They've done a lot of hard work to develop a lot of the guys that we coach on our team. And this is one way that we can thank them by trying to have the best possible clinic so that they can have an opportunity to develop knowledge and get some experience and get some new energy and ideas for things that they can do to help their program, but also hopefully have a good time as well. So we look forward to that as always."

Tony’s take: Saban’s a bit long-winded, so to recap, Alabama’s three points of emphasis are to finish plays, eliminate mental errors and eliminate penalties. All three of those tie into each other and are something every player can control regardless of the situation. The Crimson Tide was tied for 126 of 131 Division I teams averaging 7.9 penalties per game last season. As Saban pointed out, the majority of those whistles occurred either before or after the play — situations Alabama can improve on with better discipline. Alabama could have several young players step into key roles this season. An improved mental approach will be imperative to the Crimson Tide’s success.

On why he wanted to bring in Ken Whisenhunt as a special assistant

"He's got a lot of good experience. He's a really good coach. You know, he's been a head coach, he's been an offensive coordinator in the NFL for a long time. I just thought it'd be a great complement to our staff. He's been in a similar role at Penn State for two years, so he's really learned the college game. He's a good guy. I think that everybody has a lot of respect for him, and I think his energy, his enthusiasm, his ideas have been very helpful to us."

Tony’s take: The Whisenhunt hire is right out of Saban’s playbook. Alabama has served as a rehab for former head coaches who are looking to turn their careers back around. Whisenhunt, who served as a head coach for the Tennessee Titans (2014-15) and Arizona Cardinals (2007-12) fits that bill and should provide the Crimson Tide with plenty of knowledge on the offensive side of the football. He spent the last two seasons serving as an offensive analyst at Penn State and also has experience as an offensive coordinator with the Los Angeles Chargers (2013, 2016-19) and Pittsburgh Steelers (2004-06).

On HaHa Clinton-Dix’s role on the coaching staff

“HaHa is a player development coach. (Two others,Denzel [Devall] and Chap [Josh Chapman], do a great job) They coach the players in everything but football. HaHa has great character, great person, sets a really good example, really good leadership. Players migrate to him. He gives them great advice and direction in the things they can do to help them accomplish their goals.

“He just does a fantastic job for us and appreciate the fact he wants to be here and it always makes me happy when we have guys who played here, had great careers in the NFL, made the Pro Bowl, and want to be a part of the program. So we welcome him and he;’s done a fantastic job for us.”

Tony’s take: Another way Saban fills his off-field coaching staff is by bringing back former players who are familiar with how things are run in the program. Clinton-Dix was a part of the back-to-back national championship teams in 2011 and 2012 and was named a consensus All-American in 2013. Following a seven-year career in the NFL, he can provide players with a fresh perspective of what it takes to excel both at Alabama and the next level.

On how is Elijah Pritchett progressing

“He’s done a good job. Elijah is getting better. I think he’s one of those young guys who needs to be able to sustain his intensity, not get penalties, do the little things right. But he has done a really, really good job this spring. He’s played well. He’s made a lot of progress and improvement. He’s really competing for a position as a starter.”

Tony’s take: While most predicted J.C. Latham to make the switch to left tackle, Elijah Pritchett has served as the blindside blocker for Alabama’s first-team offensive line this spring. It’s unknown whether or not he’ll remain in the position this fall, but the redshirt freshman’s early success this year shouldn’t come as a surprise. Pritchett signed with Alabama as the top offensive tackle and No. 22 overall player in last year’s class. There’s a decent chance he would have broken into the first-team unit during his debut season. However, he suffered a pectoral injury last summer that limited him to just 13 snaps over two appearances.

At the moment, Pritchett and Latham appear to be the favorites to land one of Alabama’s two starting openings at tackle while Tyler Booker figures to take one of the openings at the guard position. The Crimson Tide’s other two starting spots seem to be more up for grabs which should provide for plenty of competition over the next few months.

On the fundamental difference between the first two scrimmages

“I’m not sure how to answer that question.

“What’s the fundamental difference between Game 1 and Game 2? Game 1 is the most important game when it’s Game 1, and Scrimmage 1 is the most important scrimmage when it comes up. And Scrimmage 2, just like Game 2 is the most important when it comes up.

“I think each time we do a scrimmage we’re trying to create more of a game-like circumstance for the players. The first scrimmage we didn’t use the press box, for instance. We didn’t use it like we would in a game. Maybe in the next scrimmage we will do that.

“There are some differences. Sometimes we change us the situations in terms of doing other things we didn’t do in the first scrimmage.

“In terms of teaching, direction, trying to get the players ready to do what we’re going to do it really doesn’t change a lot. Points of emphasis may change a little bit, but our approach doesn’t change at all.”

Tony’s take: Saban’s response here goes back to his opening statement when he called for better mental focus from his players. He wants his team to remain locked in on the task at hand and treat every practice, scrimmage and game as it it is the most important. This is a classic case of Saban finding ways to stick to his narrative in order to hammer his message across. It’s one of the things he does best during press conferences.

Now for the actual response. As Saban points out, Alabama has certain wrinkles for each scrimmage. While they don’t change the workout drastically, they help the coaching staff direct their attention on certain areas that need improvement.

On what qualities he looks for at the STAR position

“Star is really a Sam linebacker, but they’ve got three wideouts or more in a game, so playing on a wide receiver. That guy’s kind of versatility is different than a linebacker playing that position who could never play a guy man-to-man.

“But he is a Sam linebacker in essence, so it takes a guy who is a good tackler, he’s tough, he’s a good blitzer, but he’s got good enough block protection on the perimeter so when they throw smokes and bubbles he can win as well as being very instinctive in reading run-pass, but then he’s got to have enough coverage skills to be able to cover slot guys.

“So that’s kind of what we look for. Sometimes that guy’s a corner and sometimes he can be a safety.

“Brian Branch did a great job for us as did Minkah (Fitzpatrick) when he was here, as well as other positions. But I’m just saying those guys are typically the type guys you look for.”

Tony’s take: Earl Little II worked at the STAR position during the first scrimmage. While the 6-foot-1, 186-pound cornerback has the tools to play in the slot, the last four Alabama players to man the role — Brian Branch, Malachi Moore, Shyhem Carter and Minkah Fitzpatrick — are all safeties.

As Saban pointed out, the STAR position is a hybrid between the linebacker and defensive back positions. Naturally, it needs to be filled with someone who can hold his own against a tight end as well as make tackles in open space. Little is one of a few defensive backs on Alabama’s roster who fits that mold, including Moore, Tre’Quon Fagans, Brayson Hubbard and Jake Pope.

On what qualities he prioritizes when looking for a signal caller at inside linebacker

Well, first of all, the guy’s got to be a good communicator. Secondly, he’s got to be bright enough to understand A) what we’re trying to do on defense, but B) how to do we have to adjust that to whatever the formation is on offense relative to how we want to set the defense or how we want to run stuff or whatever.

And obviously, Henry was really good at that. And we have a couple of guys that have made significant progress at that during the spring. But I think it’s a work in progress and hopefully we can continue to build confidence in several of the linebackers’ ability to do that.

Tony’s take: While replacing Bryce Young will remain the biggest topic this offseaosn, Alabama is also looking to find a new “quarterback” on the other side of the ball. Along with Young, Alabama lost starting Mike linebacker Henry To’oTo’o, who served as the defense’s signal caller the past two seasons. Alabama has a few players capable of stepping into that role this year, but given the current injury to redshirt sophomore Deonte Lawson, finding a replacement could be a work in progress.

Lawson figures to land one of Alabama’s two openings at inside linebacker after starting four games at WILL linebacker next to To’oTo’o last season. Given his experience, he’s a candidate to step into the MIKE linebacker position where he’d be the signal caller. However, Alabama also brought in Georgia senior transfer Trezmen Marshall, who has the football knowledge needed assume the role. Other options include redshirt freshman Shawn Murphy, junior Kendrick Blackshire and junior college transfer Justin Jefferson.

On how young players getting more experience affects his approach n the transfer portal

“We talk to our players about what they need to do to develop in this program. That’s how we coach them every day and that’s how we focus on them every day. But I think the fact that we’ve had 3-4-5 at times starters out on defense has really given other guys great opportunities to be able to get a lot of reps to develop a lot of confidence in what they’re supposed to do and make a significant improvement and be responsible and compete like starters, which a lot of guys have. How that impacts the future, I really don’t have a crystal ball. I can’t tell you that, so I don’t really know how to answer that part of the question.”

Tony’s take: The second transfer portal window is set to open on Saturday. Like every other school, Alabama will likely experience a roster shakeup with a few departures and possible some additions. As Saban said, he can’t predict the future in terms of the decisions the players on his team will make. However, if Alabama’s younger players can prove themselves this spring, it might lessen the need to bring fill potential weak spots through the portal. Saban isn’t changing his approach in terms of coaching, but best believe the he has accounted for various scenarios that could occur over the next 15 days.

On which QB made the most improvement in the spring so far?

“I think both guys have made really good progress. We’re not disappointed in anybody’s progress. I thought they both played well in the scrimmage. Both guys have had their moments in practice and they’ve also had learning opportunities when they’ve made mistakes. And both of them have responded very well and made improvement. I don’t have an evaluation other than that we’re coaching every one of the four quarterbacks that we have in the program every day try to help them develop to be the best players that they can be. We’re going to continue to do that and hopefully those guys will continue to have the right attitude about trying to play winning football at the position. And one of the things that sometimes you have to learn that you’ve got to eliminate the bad plays to play winning football.

“So there’s some plays in the game that kill you. So to be able to eliminate those things is as big a part of being able to execute all the good things. And that’s what help you play winning football. You eliminate mistakes and you can execute and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself because you’re going to distribute the ball on every down. And we don’t ever want to turn it over. You’ve heard me use the analogy before, we want every series to end in a kick. It might be a punt, it might be a field goal, it might be an extra point. But we’re not turning it over and giving it to the other team, and that’s an important part of being able to execute at the quarterback position.”

Tony’s take: Saban isn’t giving away too much when it comes to Alabama’s quarterback competition. That being said, he does seem pleased with the performance of all four of his passers — especially redshirt sophomore Jalen Milroe and redshirt freshman Ty Simpson, who are the heavy favorites to land the starting job.

According to sources, Milroe and Simpson both threw for multiple touchdowns without an interception during last week’s scrimmage. Both quarterbacks are capable of leading the offense, so the winner might be the one who takes better control of the football. It’s hard to imagine Alabama going two scrimmages without creating a turnover, so Saturday could be an early turning point in the quarterback race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News