ADVERTISEMENT

Tony's takes: Breaking down what Nick Saban said as Alabama prepares for LSU

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Nick Saban spoke to reporters Wednesday for his final press conference before No. 6 Alabama takes on No. 10 LSU on Saturday night inside Tiger Stadium. Here’s a transcript of what he said as well as my takes on what it means.

Opening statement

"Well, I think the thing that we're trying to focus on is 'how do you maintain intensity?' Whether you maintain your intensity in practice, whether you maintain your intensity in a game. But everyone's going to lose their intensity every now and then, so really when you get into situations, you've got to pound your chest or do whatever you've got to do to regain momentum, regain the mental focus you need to do to sustain, maintain intensity because that's really the only way that you can sustain performance.

"So even days like today, it's a little warmer. We've had good practices all week. It's a challenge for guys to maintain their intensity and it's a choice that everybody has to make. Nobody chooses to win. Nobody really chooses to lose. But you do have the freedom to choose what you want to do and how you want to do it. And I think that's the most important thing that players can do, and everybody has a choice to do that in whatever they do in their life. So that's what we're trying to get out players to do so we can sustain and maintain intensity throughout the season. Obviously, 'cause... rivalry game, playing on the road, good team. So it's going to be really important that we can do that."

Tony’s take: It sounds like Wednesday’s practice might have been a bit lackluster. Plenty of times, Saban is speaking to his players in the opening statement. While the head coach has been pretty positive about his team's response following the open week, this seems to be a reminder that his players can’t afford to take their foot off the gas heading into a top-10 matchup against LSU.

On if there's a way to combat players being too tight

"No. I mean, not at all. I think it's what you attach yourself to. I mean, people attach themselves to winning, but if you attach yourself to winning, you're actually attaching yourself to outcome, which can actually create anxiety. I'd like for the players to attach themselves to 'what do I have to do to play my best to prepare the best to be ready to go and play with confidence and understanding of what I'm supposed to do, how I'm supposed to do it, why I'm supposed to do it that way' and go play fast and do that one play at a time. And then, that helps you get the result that you obviously want. So attaching yourself to doing the things you need to do to be a productive player is, I think, much more effective and even more fun. When you're a competitor and you go out and play that way to try to, you know when you say 'dominate your box,' you do it one play at a time. So that's really why it's important to maintain focus and intensity that way."

Tony’s take: The example Saban used about “attaching yourself to winning” and how it sets up disappointment stood out to me, so I looked up the phrase. One reference I found was a quote from Glen Merzer’s Off the Reservation that basically carries the same message Saban is trying to get across.

When someone only fixates on the result of something, it causes them to lose focus on what it takes to achieve it. On the flip side, taking things one step at a time also keeps the mind centered on a series of small tasks which can alleviate stress and allow you to perform at a high level. Last month, Saban said his players were a little tight heading into the game against Tennessee. This seems to be what he was talking about.

On how effective the offense has been able to use the speed at wide receiver

"I don't really think that it's fair to assess anything that the offense has done because we've been a little bit left-handed ever since Bryce got hurt in the Arkansas game. He basically hasn't been able to practice for however many weeks, three weeks, and played pretty well in two games. But the continuity of what you do and how you build confidence and timing has been a little bit distorted.

"Now, the good news is I think it was really been beneficial to the two backup quarterbacks. I think they've got a ton of reps, and I think that's helped them. But it's not really fair to see how we've sort of developed offensively because probably the most important guy on the team, any team is the quarterback. And most importantly on our team because of the quality of player that Bryce is. So we've been a little bit out of sorts. I really challenge the players to be able to do things better, whether it's run the ball, run routes better, make more explosive plays, whatever that might be. But I think it's a little bit unfair to judge anything that's happened in the last couple of weeks."

Tony’s take: First off, Saban didn’t really answer the question here. Alabama has had several opportunities to utilize its speed before Bryce Young’s injury, while Jalen Milroe was behind center and after Young returned. The Crimson Tide has a few burners in its receiving corps, including freshmen Kobe Prentice and Isaiah Bond as well as Louisville transfer Tyler Harrell. However, that hasn’t translated into as much big-play production as many projected at the beginning of the season.

As for Saban’s response, he seems to be sticking up for his offense as it has faced plenty of criticism over the past few weeks. While Alabama’s receivers have failed to provide consistent separation all season, the Crimson Tide also struggled to move the ball on the ground against Mississippi State, gaining just 29 yards on 27 attempts.

The open week was a good time for offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien to press the reset button. Now that the team is recharged, it will be interesting to see how it responds.

On what things have helped the LSU offense reach another level

"They got good players, really good players. Quarterback's playing really, really well. They've got great balance. They've got three really good running backs that all share the load. They've really got talented skill guys outside, and they're very efficient and effective in the way they're executing the offense and the things that they do. They present challenges, and I think they've got some young players playing on offense that have gotten better and better and better. Two freshmen tackles, tight end. You know, Jason Taylor's son. Those guys are playing better and better all the time, too, and making plays and are being productive. So this is a really, really good team, all the way around. And now they're starting a new system, offensively, lots of new players. They're starting to get confidence and believe in exactly what they're supposed to do and how they're supposed to do it, and they're playing really effectively."

Tony’s take: LSU’s offense has been clicking in its past two games as the Tigers scored 45 points apiece in wins against Florida and Ole Miss. Quarterback Jayden Daniels has been especially productive, combining for 762 yards of offense and 11 touchdowns over that span. LSU doesn’t have quite the offensive firepower Alabama faced in Tennessee last month, but the Tigers can definitely test the Crimson Tide.

On how his players responded after the open week

"Yeah, it's been very good. The response with the players has been very good. We've practiced well all three days this week. So we'll see how we play, but we seem to be preparing the right way."

Tony’s take: While Wednesday’s practice might have lacked some of the intensity Saban was looking for, he has seemed generally pleased with his team’s attitude at the moment. These next two weeks should show a lot about the character of this team. At the moment, things sound promising for Alabama.

On the development of JC Latham

"JC's done a good job for us. You know, I think consistency in performance for all of us is what we're sort of striving to improve on, and I think if you were to ask any player on the team, that's probably the thing that we all need to do. I think that's true in the offensive line, and I think that's true for JC. But we're really pleased with the way he's sort of developed and played for us this year."

Tony’s take: In his first season as a starter, J.C. Latham has been Alabama’s most consistent offensive line, leading the team with an 89.8 pass-blocking grade while also posting a 71.8 run-blocking mark, according to Pro Football Focus. If he keeps up at this pace, expect him to be one of the first names off the board in the 2024 NFL Draft.

On what's helped Ja'Corey Brooks have more consistent success

"Well, the guy's a real competitor. I mean, he plays great for us on special teams. I don't care what you ask him to do, what role he plays on whatever team, he does it fast, he does it hard. He prepares well. I think he's attaching himself to the right things, and I think that's sort of showing in his production and performance and the consistency that he's played with."

Tony’s take: Alabama receivers have struggled to maintain consistency, but Ja’Corey Brooks seems to be turning the corner. The sophomore has a combined nine receptions for 153 yards and a touchdown in the Crimson Tide’s last two games against Tennessee and Mississippi State. Through eight games, he has a team-leading 376 yards and four touchdowns on 21 receptions.

As Saban pointed out, Brooks also contributes on special teams, working on kick coverage as well as the kick return and punt return units. He had a blocked punt against Louisiana-Monroe that resulted in a scoop-and-score touchdown for Malachi Moore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News