ADVERTISEMENT

What to watch for heading into No. 2 Alabama's game against No. 21 Arkansas

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014

No. 2 Alabama can lock up the SEC West this weekend as it hosts No. 21 Arkansas in its final game inside Bryant-Denny Stadium this season. The Crimson Tide (9-1, 5-1 in the SEC) is currently a 21-point favorite over the Razorbacks (7-3, 3-3), according to VegasInsider.

Here are five things to watch heading into the matchup.

A change in OL?​

Alabama’s offensive line is back to full strength as starting center Darrian Dalcourt (ankle) and starting left guard Javion Cohen (wrist) returned to practice this week after missing last weekend’s game against New Mexico State. During his Wednesday Zoom call with reporters, Nick Saban provided an update on the duo, stating they have practiced every day.

Cohen, who suffered his wrist injury last week, was replaced by Tommy Brown at left guard against New Mexico State. Dalcourt suffered a lateral ankle sprain during the opening drive of Alabama’s game against LSU two weeks ago. In his absence, the Tide moved Chris Owens from right tackle to center while inserting Damieon George Jr. in place of Owens.

George performed well in his first career start over the weekend, earning a 77.8 pass-blocking grade as well as a 73.5 run-blocking mark from Pro Football Focus. Wednesday, Saban spoke highly of the sophomore, stating that he could be in line for more playing time moving forward.

“Damieon’s done a really good job, played really good in the last game, played good the week before,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said. “So we’re pleased with the progress he’s making, and if he continues to play well, we’re going to play him.

“Chris has got to play two spots now, so it’s a little more difficult for him to get reps. We feel like we have six starters now, and we’ll decide each week who gives us the best chance to be successful when we go into the game.”

Sanders' great opportunity​

It’s been a long road for Trey Sanders since he arrived at Alabama as the No. 1 running back and No. 3 overall player in the 2019 class. Two season-ending injuries later, he’s finally ready for his time in the spotlight.

Sanders is just one of two available scholarship running backs in Alabama’s backfield as the Tide has seen sophomores Jase McClellan and Roydell Williams go down with season-ending knee injuries while freshman Camar Wheaton has been unable to play with a meniscus injury.

Following Williams’ injury last weekend, Sanders stepped in behind starter Brian Robinson Jr., carrying the ball 12 times for 66 yards and a touchdown. The 12 carries matched a career-high for Sanders as he previously reached that total against Mississippi State last year, his final game before suffering a season-ending hip injury the following week. With Alabama now lacking depth in the backfield, the redshirt sophomore should see his workload increase moving forward.

“I think he’s got a great opportunity,” Saban said Monday. “I thought he played well in the game. It was good to get him some touches in the game. I think he understands the offense well, and I think he’s a very capable guy. Now that he’s gonna have a more significant role, it’s time for him to take advantage of that opportunity, as well. But we have every confidence that he can do that very well for us.”

Appearing in eight games this season, Sanders has averaged 5.0 yards per carry, netting 195 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. This week, Robinson said his five-star teammate has shown plenty of focus in practice as he looks to take on a bigger role in the offense.

“I think with Trey, the more opportunities Trey gets, the more confidence he’s going to gain,” Robinson said. “The more reps you take at practice, the more you go over to the meeting room, just the more he continues to just study and just go out and work hard, the more he’s going to gain confidence, especially when he gets in the game.

“He’s excited to get in the game. He just wants to go in there, and he wants to compete all the time. So I think Trey’s going to continue to come along, and he’s going to continue to gain confidence for us throughout the rest of the season.”

Farewell to seniors​

Saturday will be the final time several Alabama players suit up inside Bryant-Denny Stadium. The Tide is set to hold its annual Senior Day as its matchup against Arkansas will mark the final home game of the season.

Alabama’s young roster includes just 10 scholarship seniors. Cornerback Josh Jobe and linebacker Jaylen Moody are the only two true seniors, while safety Daniel Wright, outside linebacker Christopher Allen, running back Brian Robinson Jr., defensive lineman LaBryan Ray, defensive lineman Phidarian Mathis, offensive lineman Chris Owens, tight end/ offensive lineman Kendall Randolph and tight end Major Tennison are all redshirt seniors.

Owens, who is in his sixth season, and Robinson, who is in his fifth, both took advantage of the NCAA’s blanket eligibility waiver due to COVID-19. They were honored during last year’s Senior Day. Still, a true final game inside Bryant-Denny Stadium is bound to be emotional.

“I just want it to be one exciting day for me,” said Robinson, a Tuscaloosa, Ala., native. “I’ve thought about it a lot, like it’s my last one.”

Mathis said he’s also taken some time this week to reflect on his career at Alabama this week. When it comes to saying goodbye to Bryant-Denny, he said he’s just looking to enjoy his “last ride” inside the stadium he’s called home the past five seasons.

“I think about it, like ‘I’ve been here a while,” Mathis said. “It’s been a long time coming.’ It’s going to be pretty sad when the game is over, but I’m ready. It’s been a long time, and I guess I’m ready to get it over with.”

More Heisman hype​

This could be a decisive week as far as the Heisman race is concerned. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young is still the frontrunner for the award at +175 odds, according to BetMGM. However, Ohio State quarterback CJ Stroud (+225) and Michigan State running back Kenneth Walker III (+350) are close behind.

Ohio State and Michigan State are set to play each other on Saturday at 11 a.m. CT on ABC, putting a spotlight on Young’s two biggest competitors. The Alabama quarterback will also play in front of a national audience as the Tide’s game against Arkansas will be the 2:30 p.m. CT game on CBS.

Young is coming off a near-perfect performance against New Mexico State, completing 21 of 23 passes for 270 yards while matching his career-high with five passing touchdowns. The sophomore has thrown for multiple scores in each of his 10 starts but will be tested against an Arkansas secondary that has allowed just 10 passing touchdowns and recorded 10 interceptions this season.

During Wednesday’s SEC teleconference, Arkansas head coach Sam Pittman praised Young, stating he is “very, very concerned” about the five-star quarterback’s ability to make plays.

“Outstanding. Can make all the throws,” Pittman said of Young. “He’s so smooth. He runs the offense outstanding. Very, very dangerous with his feet. For him to do what he’s done, to me, is just incredible. … He’s what an Alabama quarterback, to me, is – a winner, a guy that runs the team and is very talented.”

Young isn’t the only Alabama player hearing the Heisman chatter. Will Anderson Jr. is also beginning to be mentioned as a possible dark-horse candidate as most view the outside linebacker as the best defensive player in the nation.

Anderson, who was named as a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy on Wednesday, ranks first nationally with 12.5 sacks and 23 tackles for a loss. He added two of those sacks during last weekend's game against New Mexico State and has nine sacks and 11.5 tackles for a loss over his last four games.

“Will’s certainly done a great job for us,” Saban said during the SEC teleconference. “He’s very productive, plays hard. He’s a good leader. He’s got some pass-rush ability, he’s very instinctive and I think his production sort of reflects all that. He sure is a pleasure to have on the team, I can tell you that, and he is an outstanding player.”

Saban will also take pleasure in Anderson’s approach to the recent hype. When asked about his Heisman chances this week, the sophomore remained more interested in the team's success than his own.

“Just focused on getting to a natty,” he said. “Trying to finish these last two games strong and getting to the natty, that’s all we’re worried about as a team. All I’m worried about.”

Potential milestones​

Bryce Young: Young became just the fourth Alabama quarterback to pass for 30 or more touchdowns in a season, joining Tua Tagovailoa (43 in 2018 and 33 in 2019), Mac Jones (41 in 2020) and AJ McCarron (30 in 2012). Young can move into third place on the teams’ single-season list with a touchdown pass against Arkansas. That would also tie him with Mike Shula and Andrew Zow for eighth on Alabama’s all-time list with 35 career passing touchdowns.

Young also figures to climb the leaderboard in terms of passing yards. Through 10 games this season, he has 3,025 yards through the air — good enough for sixth on the Tide’s single-season list. Young is just 86 passing yards away from moving into fourth place on the list and 463 away from passing Blake Sims (3,487 in 2014) for third place.

John Metchie: Metchie can also rise in Alabama’s record books as his 67 receptions this season are tied for ninth on the team’s single-season list. The junior receiver can take sole possession of sixth place with six receptions this week. Metchie has recorded six or more receptions in eight games this year, including each of the past five weeks.

Jameson Williams: While Metchie has reeled in the most receptions this year, Williams leads the team in receiving yards. The junior’s 1,028 yards through the air rank ninth on Alabama’s single-season list. Williams can jump into sole possession of fifth place with 136 receiving yards against Arkansas. Williams has surpassed that total three times this season, including each of the past two games.

Will Anderson Jr: Anderson isn’t going to catch Derrick Thomas’ single-season record of 39 tackles for a loss set in 1988. However, the sophomore can tie Wallace Gillberry for second on the list with four tackles for a loss against Arkansas. Anderson has recorded four tackles for a loss twice already this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News