ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting ****What to watch this weekend in Tuscaloosa****

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
I will continue to update this list throughout the week. Below are the ones who have confirmed their plans to visit Alabama this weekend.

Richard Young, Rivals100 RB from Lehigh HS in Leigh Acres, Florida
Malik Bryant, Rivals100 ILB from Jones HS in Orlando
Keon Keeley, Rivals100 DE from Berkeley Prep in Tampa (Notre Dame commitment)
Miles McVay, Rivals100 OT from East St. Louis HS in Illinois
Joenel Aguero, four-star ATH from St. John's Prep in Danvers, Massachusetts (attended IMG Academy as a junior)
Clay Wedin, four-star OT from Carrollwood Day School in Tampa
Vysen Lang, four-star OT from Pike Road HS in Alabama
Makari Vickers, four-star CB from John Paul II Catholic in Tallahassee
Elliot Washington, four-star CB from Venice HS in Florida
Devin Hyatt, four-star WR from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida
Jordan Castell, three-star DB from West Orange HS in Winter Garden, Florida
Debron Gatling, 2024 four-star WR from Milton HS in Alpharetta, Georgia
DJ Lagway, 2024 four-star QB from Willis HS in Texas
Ronnie Royal, 2024 four-star athlete from Gulf Shores HS in Alabama
Hevin Brown-Shuler, 2024 four-star defensive tackle from Pace Academy in Atlanta

*Will add more names after confirmation.

What to watch this weekend!

Florida commitment taking official visit after receiving offer

Alabama extended an offer to Jalen Farmer on Thursday and an official visit was quickly scheduled. Farmer committed to Dan Mullen's staff in September. He has remained on the Gators commitment list, but opted not to sign in December. Farmer has taken official visits to Auburn, Florida and Kentucky.

The Crimson Tide signed 24 recruits in December. It has also added three players from the transfer portal. Alabama hosted Danny Lewis, three-star tight end from Westgate High School in New Iberia, Louisiana, last weekend. Farmer is the only other 2022 recruit scheduled to visit Alabama this month.

Alabama has kept the door open for another offensive lineman in its class after only signing three last month. Farmer is the only current remaining offensive lineman pursued by the Tide. We should know more about the 6-foot-5, 325-pound offensive guard after the official visit this weekend.

Will the Tide land its first 2023 commitment?

Alabama will land its first commitment in the 2023 class at some point. The timing doesn't really matter as we have seen the last few cycles, but I do think Alabama is ready to get its first commitment officially on board. It may easily happen this weekend. There are probably four I am watching a little closer than the others.

Jahil Hurley: The in-state Rivals100 DB was scheduled visit Alabama last weekend. He was also scheduled to announce his decision. Hurley did not visit. He also decided to delay his commitment. Will a trip to Tuscaloosa on Saturday change his mind? Alabama is the favorite. It won't come as a surprise if he makes a decision.

Keon Keeley: The Notre Dame commitment has very high interest in the Crimson Tide. He loves the high production from the Tide's edge rusher the last few years including Will Anderson, Dallas Turner, Terrell Lewis and Christian Miller. There is some belief he may flip if Alabama knocks it out of the park with him this weekend.

Makari Vickers: The four-star DB has visited Alabama several times including last summer and a few trips to Tuscaloosa during the season. He is very close with Alabama DB Terrion Arnold. The two grew up playing together and Arnold has been heavily recruiting his former teammate.

Devin Hyatt: Alabama signed several talented receivers in the last two classes. Alabama very picky in 2023. Alabama has a lot of interest in Hyatt. He has also visited Tuscaloosa a few times and can continue the IMG pipeline. A push from Alabama may result in a commitment.

Several big names expected, more to follow?

We have confirmed several elite recruits (listed above) who will visit this weekend, but it's safe to say more names will add throughout the next two days as players post on social media, etc.. I expect between 35-40 total recruits in attendance for Junior Day. I am sure we will also see a few names added who receive offers this weekend like we did we guys like Wilkin Formby, Jaylen Mbakwe and Travaris Banks last week.

Keep in mind- a lot of recruits have not confirmed their weekend plans. Some were trying to decide if they will visit Alabama or another school with the Tide hosting another Junior Day on March 5. I'll update the list as more names are confirmed.

The top players (outside of names previously mentioned) include Shelton Sampson (No. 2 WR), Malik Bryant (No. 1 inside LB), Richard Young (No. 2 RB), Miles McVay (No. 5 OT) and Joenel Aguero (No. 6 athlete). This is a great chance for Alabama to really make a strong move for all of these recruits who have been heavily pursued. Bryant and Aguero played together at IMG Academy last season, but both have returned home.

Elliott Washington is an interesting prospect. Alabama expressed early interest in the Tide legacy, but he did not hear much from them during his junior season. The interest has picked up in the last few weeks. We will see if Alabama decides to make him a priority or of they want to see him a little more this spring/summer.

We will watch for new offers this weekend. I expect DJ Lagway to earn an offer from Nick Saban. The 2024 quarterback is recruited as an athlete. I've heard Alabama is impressed with him. We will also likely see Alabama extend an offer to 2024 defensive lineman Hevin Brown-Shuler.

Vysen Lang is an in-state lineman who may also receive an offer this weekend. I do think if it happens it is contingent on seeing him again this spring/summer. I certainly expect Alabama to confirm an offer to 2024 in-state athlete Ronnie Royal. I expect Royal will rank as one of the top three players in Alabama next year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News