ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting ***What we learned in June***

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
Here are some of my personal takes since June 1. What stood out to you?

Arch Manning saga comes to an end
-The nation's top recruit committed to Texas over Alabama, Georgia.

Camps are still an important evaluation tool
-The majority of Alabama's top targets were established prior to June, but some earned committable offers like Brayson Hubbard and Perry Thompson. There were also some who fell off the board after their performance or visit. Justin Jefferson had a committable offer prior to camp, but he put on a show and climbed the recruiting board.

The Mitchell twist, Woods turn

-Alabama did not appear as the likely destination for Tony Mitchell as we entered the month. His head coach, Mark Freeman, told me it also surprised him how quickly things changed. Peter Woods has been considered an Alabama lock since he received an offer as a freshman. Clemson is currently sitting in good position, but Alabama is still pushing hard.

Alabama closing in fast on terrific OL class
-The Tide added its first lineman last week when Wilkin Formby committed. We should see some other big decisions happen within the next two months. I like where Alabama is with Olaus Alinen and Miles McVay. There is still a lot of contact going on with Francis Mauigoa as he prepares for a July 4 decision. Some things are playing in Alabama's favor, but some things (more so on the NIL side) are playing in favor of others. I'll go more into things on the Alabama side after the decision. Samson Okunlola had a great visit a few weekends ago. I do expect Kadyn Proctor to stay home. Alabama is also a very serious threat to flip Ryqueze McElderry (will take OV to Bama in the fall) and Raymond Pulido is very high on the board. The goal has always been to sign five OL. They'll sign five of the 8-9 guys they heavily targeted.

Hurley re-affirms, Washington confuses

Alabama commitment Jahlil Hurley did a complete 180 after visiting Alabama earlier this month after strong rumors circulated of an imminent flip to Auburn. A coach from his school also told me that it is was a done deal for the Tigers. Hurley says his commitment to Alabama is firm, and does not plan on taking any other visits. Elliott Washington posted what looked like a public decommitment, but we confirmed he is still committed to Alabama. He took OVs this month to Michigan State and Penn State. We'll see what happens in the coming months, but it will surprise me (at this time) if he sticks.

NIL playing a factor with several top recruits

I went more in-depth about this in the latest Insider Report. Alabama will miss on a few top targets because of NIL opportunities. Plenty of opportunities at Alabama, but just aren't using dollar figures as a recruiting tool as several others. Bama has educated recruits and informed them the different ways they can earn money. They just aren't going to extend these max 'free agency' contracts. It's going to play a factor for some. Just be prepared.

Officials are completed for most, several decisions coming soon

Many of the Tide's top targets took most, if not all, of their official visits this month. We know of several set commitment dates and many others who expect to decide before the start of their senior season. Alabama has a great chance to add players like Malik Benson, Raul Aguirre, Olaus Alinen, Miles McVay, Cole Adams, Makari Vickers, Richard Young, etc.. Malik Bryant will announce on June 23. Can Alabama hold off Miami/UF NIL offers? Will we see a decision from Cormani McClain this month? I think Alabama currently holds the edge.

Alabama still in-play for commitments elsewhere

Alabama remains in contact with several players who are committed elsewhere. UGA tight end commitment Lawson Luckie took an official visit to Alabama this past weekend. Demetrius Bell (Michigan State) earned offer from Alabama on Saturday. Suntarine Perkins (Ole Miss), Peyton Bowen (Notre Dame) and Ryqueze McElderry (UGA) also visited Alabama this month. There are others including Keon Keeley (Notre Dame), Zachariah Branch (USC), Robby Washington (Miami) and Cooper Flanagan (Notre Dame), who are also still contact with the Tide. We are going to see some names pop up this season.

Yhonzae Pierre is vastly underatted

There are players each year who just do a lot better than expected during camp. The Alabama commitment didn't have to work out at the Tide's camp, but wanted to show the coaches his improvement. He shined during the OL/DL camp winning every rep. Multiple sources in attendance said he had one the best showings they have seen as an edge rusher in the last few years. He reminded the staff of Will Anderson's camp performance when he was in high school.

Alabama strikes out Peyton Wooding

The Crimson Tide was expected to extend an offer to a kicker this month. It did and all signs pointed to Louisiana native Peyton Woodring announcing for Alabama, He committed to Georgia instead after the Bulldogs offered a few days later. Woodring told Alabama he was waiting to hear from UGA before making a decision.. Alabama has yet to extend another offer at the positon.

Downs, Haynes a package deal?

Caleb Downs and Justice Haynes rank as the top two recruits in the Peach State. It appears the decision for both will come down between Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State. The two visited those three schools on the same weekend, and have become very close. Haynes has been considered a strong UGA lean (His father, Verron, played for the Bulldogs). It's close though, and Alabama is strongly in it with Haynes. Most think Downs can go in any direction. Alabama continues to press hard. I don't think the two are set on playing together, but can easily work out that way.

The best performances of the month?
-Keep in mind: None of the official visitors worked out for the staff this month. It's not allowed per NCAA rules. There were several players who elevated their stock. Plenty who lived up to expectations. Below are some of the names who received a significant amount of praise for their performance (Not in any particular order).

Justin Jefferson, linebacker from Pearl River Community College in Poplarville, Mississippi (Alabama commitment)
Yhonzae Pierre, four-star outside linebacker from Eufaula HS in Alabama (Alabama commitment)
Bryce Thornton, four-star safety from Milton HS in Alpharetta, Georgia
Brayson Hubbard, three-star athlete from Oceans Springs High School in Mississippi (Alabama commitment)
Perry Thompson, 2024 wide receiver from Foley High School in Alabama (Alabama commitment)
Raymond Pulido, four-star offensive guard from St. John Bosco in Bellflower, California
Daniel Hill, 2024 four-star athlete from Meridan High School in Mississippi
Demetrius Bell, four-star wide receiver from Blackman High School in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Jaren Hamilton, wide receiver from Yonge High School in Gainesville, Florida

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News