ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting ***Where things stand with remaining OL targets***

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
Alabama struck out on Kadyn Proctor on Thursday after the five-star lineman opted to remain in his home state. This was always a tough pull for any school as Proctor grew up a fan of the Hawkeyes, has been to campus countless times, has friends on the team and was the biggest focal point of any player in Iowa's class. Alabama was definitely in it. They were just a hat on the table. Alabama OL coach Eric Wolford did a really good job of putting the Tide strongly in contention (final 2) for his commitment.

We had heard for months Proctor likely would not leave the state and family members were pushing him to stay home. The family was completely on board with Alabama after his official, but wanted Proctor to make his own decision. He took an official to Iowa this past weekend, and decided to stay home. I am not sure how often he'll compete for championships, but Iowa does produce linemen for the NFL.

Proctor informed Alabama of his decision on Sunday evening after his visit with the Hawkeyes. I expect Alabama to re-visit with Proctor during the season and invite him to some games in Tuscaloosa. I am not sure if Proctor will still listen or return to Alabama before the early signing period. You just never know what may happen, but I imagine he is pretty locked-in with his decision.

The good news for Alabama the majority of its top offensive line targets are still in-play. I mentioned a few weeks ago Alabama has spent a lot of time recruiting its key targets. There aren't 15-20 players to focus on with hopes of landing five. Alabama has recruited about 8-9 guys. It doesn't mean they are the only ones. Bottom line- Alabama should be just fine when it comes to the offensive front in this class.

Wilkin Formby, Rivals100 offensive tackle from Northridge HS in Tuscaloosa
-Formby is committed to Alabama

Francis Mauigoa, Rivals100 offensive tackle from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida
-Mauigoa will announce his decision on July 4. He has been in contact with Alabama multiple times this week. I am sure he is talking to his other top contenders. I think we will have a better idea in the next few days prior to his announcement. There are few things working in Alabama's favor behind the scenes (nothing to do with NIL), but the challenge is competing against some who believe NIL will help push their program over the top. I'll shed more light about what's been happening behind the scenes (from Alabama's end) after the announcement regardless of his choice. I continue to hear his parents love Alabama.

Olaus Alinen, four-star Loomis Chaffee HS in Windsor, Connecticut (by way of Finland)
-Alinen is currently in Finland after taking his official visits this month. I don't anticipate Alinen persuaded by NIL opportunities that have been presented to him throughout the last few weeks. I think his decision will come down to Alabama and Ohio State. I continue to lean Alabama with a decision likely in the next month or so.

Miles McVay, four-star offensive tackle from East St. Louis HS in Illinois
-It will surprise me at this point if McVay does not commit to Alabama. He currently plans to announce a decision in August. I think it may easily happen before then. I feel very confident in my prediciton.

Ryqueze McElderry, four-star offensive guard from Oxford HS in Alabama
-McElderry has been committed to Georgia since late November. His relationship with Coach Wolford stems three years as he was the first coach to start recruiting the in-state lineman (at South Carolina). McElderry has been on flip watch for several months. Auburn is not a serious contender IMO. McElderry was in Tuscaloosa a few weeks ago. I still predict him to flip to Alabama. Not surprised if it happens in the near future. He recently told me an official will happen during the season.

Samson Okunlola, five-star offensive tackle from Thayer Academiy in Braintree, Massachusetts
-Okunlola has remained in very close contact with Alabama since his visit with the Tide a few weekends ago. He has been in communication multiple times each week. I don't think it indicates the direction he is leaning just yet. Alabama is strongly in the mix, but so are others including Georgia, Miami, Michigan State....He is still working on a few more visits. I don't expect anything to happen with Okunlola until sometime this fall.

Raymond Pulido, four-star offensive tackle from St. John Bosco in Bellflower, California
-Pulido has a top five of Alabama, Arizona, Louisville, Oregon and UCLA. He took OVs in June to Louisville and UCLA. Pulido was one of Alabama's top overall campers this month, and receiving a lot of attention from the Tide. I don't think you can look past some things that are going on at Louisville with the way its been able to add commitments from outside the region including a few of Pulido's teammates. Alabama loves Puildo as a future guard. He measured 6-foot-6, 343-pounds during his time in Tuscaloosa.

So, as far as predictions for Alabama, if you kept track: Formby (committed), Olaus Alinen, Miles McVay, Ryqueze McElderry. I have yet to predict Mauigoa, Okunlola or Pulido.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News