ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Who's next?

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
There are a few scheduled announcements this week. We know some will also likely decide very soon. Here's a quick run-down of who we are watching closely as far as decisions.

Two big commitments this week for the Crimson Tide!

McElderry announced his commitment to Alabama on Monday. I was surprised to learn Tennessee was No. 2 on his list considering how confident the AU side seemed to feel about him the last few weeks. We've been very confident in McElderry joining Alabama's class for several months.

McElderry talks commitment!

Benson announced his commitment to Alabama on Tuesday.

IMG Academy lineman commits to Miami

Mauigoa kept everyone guessing until the announcement, but selected Miami.

On the clock
This is the one that will draw plenty of attention on Friday with a few schools fighting tooth and nail for land Woods’s commitment. This one seemed pretty wrapped up for Clemson a few weeks ago, but Alabama hasn't laid down. Woods isn't just a major in-state target. He plays at a position of need. I am not ready to switch my prediction quite yet. I'd probably feel better predicting Woods to Alabama in December, but will see what happens in the next few days. Conversations have continued to take place....

Five more decisions this month

Dylan Longeran, four-star quarterback from Brookwood HS in Snellville, Georgia
-Alabama wants Lonergan as its second quarterback in this class. He was scheduled to announce on July 5, but pushed things back to July 12 after his official visit to Stanford. This one seems like a toss-up. I think Alabama held the lead prior to his visit to Palo Alto. Baseball is a factor in his decision. He has been in contact with the Alabama baseball staff. I'm probably leaning Alabama right now, but not ready to submit a final prediction.

Raul Aguiree, Rivals100 linebacker from Whitewater HS in Fayetteville, Georgia
-This is another pretty tight race. Aguirre took officials to Alabama, Florida, Ohio State and Texas last month. He also has high interest in Miami. Aguirre visited Alabama in the spring and had a great official visit on June 10-12. My prediction is in favor of Alabama. He will announce on July 16.

Malik Bryant, Rivals100 linebacker from Jones HS in Orlando
-I think Bryant went into his official visit last month with Alabama as the heavy favorite in his recruitment. He took officials to Florida, Maryland and Miami. He spent three days in Tuscaloosa, and can still use an official for Alabama this fall. I don't think Alabama is a slam dunk especially with Florida and Miami involved. I am still leaning Alabama, but it's not a final prediction.

Miles McVay, four-star offensive tackle from East St. Louis High School in Illinois
-McVay announced on Tuesday his intentions to commit on August 11. McVay spent three days in Tuscaloosa for an unofficial visit three weeks ago. There is a good chance he returns to Alabama the final weekend of July before the decision. I continue to think Alabama is in great position to land his commitment.

Olaus Alinen, four-star offensive tackle from Loomis Chaffee HS in Windsor, Connecticut
-The Finnish lineman is expected to announce a decision in the next few weeks. He has yet to reveal the commitment date, but it will happen before August. Alinen is certainly hearing about NIL opportunities from schools on his list. We don't expect it to influence his decision. Alabama, Georgia, Miami, Ohio State and Oregon are top contenders. I believe it comes down to Alabama, Miami and Ohio State. I still like the Tide's chances here, but this isn't a done deal just yet. He remains in very steady contact with Alabama.

Three more to watch closely

Suntarine Perkins, Rivals100 linebacker from Raleigh HS in Mississippi.
-Alabama appears in strong position for the Ole Miss commitment after his trip to Tuscaloosa a few weekends ago. Perkins is recruited as an inside linebacker for the Tide. He is definitely one to watch closely in the coming weeks.....

Makari Vickers, Rivals100 cornerback from Munroe High School in Tallahassee, Florida
-Vickers told us after the official visit (June 17-19) a decision will happen before his senior season. He has yet to say when it will happen, but heard a few days ago it may happen very soon. I think this is a Bama/Oklahoma battle, but with several visits to Tuscaloosa under his belt, proximity to home, relationship with the coaches and close friendship with Terrion Arnold it’s hard to bet against the Tide.

Edric Hill, four-star defensive end from North High School in Kansas City
-Hill has been very quiet since his official visit to Alabama two weekends ago. I have a feeling he will announce a decision soon (without scheduling a commitment date). Alabama is in great position with Hill.

Others we are continuing to monitor for upcoming decisions: Jordan Renaud (likely in August), Richard Young, Justice Haynes, Ronan Hanafin, Caleb Downs, Malik Muhammad, Jeremiyah Love

Players committed elsewhere we will continue to watch: Keon Keeley (Notre Dame), Lawson Luckie (UGA), Demetrius Bell (Michigan State), Luke Hasz (Arkansas), Peyton Bowen (Notre Dame), Robby Washington (Miami).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News