ADVERTISEMENT

43 days until Kickoff. Name the Alabama Greats to wear #43

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
The second coldest day that I can ever remember sitting through an Alabama Game comes to mind. The wind was blowing directly into my face in the End Zone at Legion Field. Alabama was down 21-20, as the Florida QB faded back to pass. In front of the pass I saw #43 catch the pass and bring it back to the End Zone to put Alabama ahead. Sitting next to me was Hal Newman, From the 38 Crimson Tide team. Hal Newman was drastically under dressed for the weather and my wife was sharing our blanket with him.

I bet your thought I was going to name #43 Antonio Langham, just as any Alabama fan would, but no, I named #43. Even though I have a picture of Harold Newman, Captain of the 1940 team next to my father. In those days the players would pick up a different number jersey every game. I have the picture of Hal Newman wearing #43., with my father-in-law and Uncle that was taken in 1938. Newman's team picture from 1940 has him wearing #31. By the way Harold Newman was All-SEC end in 1940 and two time All-American end, earning second team honor in 1939 and third team honors in 1940. I remember my father-in-law on the day of Hal Newman's funeral in 2001 asking me to take him to Birmingham. My Father-in-law was teary eyed and said who from 1938 would still be alive to attend his funeral. I remember at his funeral looking out and laughing that he would love to see that there was a full house at the memorial service.

As an Alabama Fan let's name Antonio Langham, as we should. #43 made, arguably, the biggest play in modern Alabama history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News