ADVERTISEMENT

A Basketball Fan's Lament

BBALLSTAN

All Conference
Aug 15, 2006
Please indulge me for a few lines. I have had season tickets since Wimp was there. I have seen some good times and plenty of bad from our basketball program. Like many of my fellow basketball fans, it seemed like we were about to turn the corner this year with the recruits and likeability of Coach Johnson.

Like many years in the past, you get your hopes up only to have them dashed. To me with the expectations for the way we started this year, the loss yesterday was one of the worse I have had to endure. There is no reason to come out as flat and with as little effort as we showed, especially at home against a middle of the pack team with a chance to basically clinch a NCAA bid.

I come to conclusion that probably some of us care more than the players. Why go through the tough work they must face every day only to not give the effort yesterday.

I know CAJ must accept blame also, but rebounding and defense are simply effort. If we JUST rebound and play defense we win, despite the turnovers and free throws. I will still watch and pull for the Tide, but your heart can only get hurt so many times.

And I know these guys are only young kids and I couldn't do any better, but I don't think expectations for diving on the floor, rebounding, and busting your tail on defense are too much to ask for. Like I said, maybe I am just living a hopeless dream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News