ADVERTISEMENT

A Tribute to My Dad and his buddies of D-Day

EugDan

All American
Nov 30, 2018
Clio, Alabama [Augusta, GA]
June 6, 1944 THOUSANDS of men received their last rites from clergy and then were loaded on Higgins boats, departed their mother ships to face their task at hand. A task that allowed them to participate in ensuring freedom remained in the world they knew at that time. FREEDOM THAT ALLOWS me to write this simple tribute, but also all of the IMBECILES in our nation today to do their THANG! THESE MEN SHOULD NOT BE FORGOTTEN for they all were true heroes!

The photo below is my Dad, Luther Elmer Danner, 29th Infantry, 116th Regimental Combat Team, from Elamville, Alabama, who participated in D-Day June 6, 1944. That horrendous day forever changed his life.

When I was a kid I never understood why my Dad wouldn't let me pop firecrackers like the other kids.

After many years, I finally understood as I grew older and began meeting some of Dad's friends.

His friends were the ones he had shared foxholes with for a few years in unbearable conditions of blistering heat, frigid cold and in many cases immense enemy fire.

They were also the ones who survived jumping out of a landing craft in turbulent seas with an 80 pound back-pack and a rifle in hand at Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944.

They were the ones who actually made it to the beach (alive) and then had the nerve and bravado to overtake and conquer the enemy that was perched high overhead the beach. The enemy that was literally picking off the Allied forces as if they were targets at a shooting contest at the county fair.

I soon realized that for my Dad, a simple firecracker triggered flashbacks of those horrendous days. I also soon realized that the sound of a simple firecracker on the 4th of July was more than a celebratory act, it was a reminder that my Dad and his comrades HAD GIVEN ME THE FREEDOM that so many people in this world desire.

On that day 4,414 men lost their lives and another 5,500+ were wounded in action. Many more peach-fuzzed young boys grew to be men during those days, forever changed by the circumstances that they were exposed to... ALL FOR OUR FREEDOM!

By the way, the next time you meet someone from France or England for that matter, you don't need to ask them where they stand on the current conflicts of the world. What you need to ask them is - "do you speak German?"

When they indicate that they don't - then let them know that it was my Dad, Luther Elmer Danner, a peach-fuzzed young man from Elamville, Alabama, and his buddies of the 29th Infantry-116th Regimental Combat Team, that allowed them to have their FREEDOM - after France had surrendered to Hitler and Nazi Germany.

TODAY THERE ARE MANY MORE YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN WHO DESERVE OUR SUPPORT AND PATRONAGE.

BE SURE YOU TAKE THE TIME TO EXPRESS YOUR GRATITUDE TO OUR BELOVED FRIENDS IN THE ARMED FORCES!

WE OWE THEM A LOT... Feel free to share this with others,
Eugene Danner ~ Augusta, GA

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News