ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama’s comeback falls short, lose 68-65

Has Herb ever hit a shot at the rim to win a a game? For all his contributions he IS NOT a finisher around the rim. Last guy I would have to take that shot. And it happened twice. And injured at that. He had 5 points up to that point and he is the go to guy twice in final 25 seconds? Come on- he had nothing to do with the comeback offensively.
Bama played as bad as they could possibly play for the first 34 minutes of this game- 9 missed free throws, turnovers, lazy defense and bad shot selection.
Great comeback- but Herb is not “ the guy” when it comes to that situation in final seconds.
It was a fantastic look for the team ..could not have been drawn up any better

If we don't resolve our selfish play at the PG position and start hitting dunks and lay-ups we will go maybe two games into the dance. These things are fixable. Either way this is really good year compared to previous regimes under Grant and Johnson.

Reactions: tomg505
The thing about basketball is you can sux for a couple of weeks and still come back very strong. This team is capable of coming back very strong. Just as they did in January.

Oats put us in position to win that game twice and tie it once in the last 30 seconds of that game. We just didn't convert. We should've won! Things are fixable and we are going to get better.

Injuries have played a part in recent play. Obviously miss Bruner on the inside, Quinnerly missed 3-4 games with something, Herb js banged up and playing about 60% right now. No one has ever considered this team great. Missouri and Oklahoma are the 2 best teams Bama will play in the regular season and they were both on the road.

1st half today was unacceptable from an effort stand point- but there have been obstacles. I expected a loss today- just not an abysmal effort for the first 30 minutes.

This team was capable of beating Missouri by 15. They played terrible today. Something in their mindset versus Oklahoma and Missouri just set them back.

I actually expected them to win today. I thought they would learn from the Oklahoma loss.
Like I said in a earlier post. In basketball you can sux for a few games and still finish the season great. We will see which way this team finish’s.

Oats put us in position to win that game twice and tie it once in the last 30 seconds of that game. We just didn't convert. We should've won! Things are fixable and we are going to get better.

I agree. If this team just looks at its mistakes and adjust. They are capable of being a great team.
Played a terrible game and over-came a lot of bad ball handling and poor decision making issues and over came a 20 point deficient on the road in about 5 minutes.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
Nine missed FTs, two missed dunks, multiple missed layups, and TOs, make up the ingredients to the recipe for a three point loss. Great job coming back from a huge deficit, but just couldn't seal the deal. I was also amazed that Primo never took a shot.

I'm going to have to disagree. Many times he gets the three ball because others drive and kick. He hit a couple today.
All good. But the drive and kick is all about all we have in the half court. And I don’t see many people that are attracting help in the halfcourt. JQ shoots more 3’s off the dribble than anyone else. I’m not doom and gloom. I just believe we need a guard that can get inside the defense without people right on his hip and JQ seems to be the guy that can do that.

Reactions: anon_z8qxv7qt5719f
If we don't resolve our selfish play at the PG position and start hitting dunks and lay-ups we will go maybe two games into the dance. These things are fixable. Either way this is really good year compared to previous regimes under Grant and Johnson.
There is no solving the pg problem. No one else on the team can dribble. That’s our problem this year. JQ is selfish and a turnover waiting to happen.

Has Herb ever hit a shot at the rim to win a a game? For all his contributions he IS NOT a finisher around the rim. Last guy I would have to take that shot. And it happened twice. And injured at that. He had 5 points up to that point and he is the go to guy twice in final 25 seconds? Come on- he had nothing to do with the comeback offensively.
Bama played as bad as they could possibly play for the first 34 minutes of this game- 9 missed free throws, turnovers, lazy defense and bad shot selection.
Great comeback- but Herb is not “ the guy” when it comes to that situation in final seconds.
As I was reading through this thread, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking with regard to Herb. Senior or not, and as much as we all love him, we need to have somebody else taking the shot when the game is on the line.

I’m hoping once Bruner comes back that you won’t see Rojas near as much
I thought Rojas’s defense and rebounding is one of the major reasons we came back. I think many are too hard on him. He is obviously hurt. Yes, he should not take 3s, but he played great d today.

Last edited:
All good. But the drive and kick is all about all we have in the half court. And I don’t see many people that are attracting help in the halfcourt. JQ shoots more 3’s off the dribble than anyone else. I’m not doom and gloom. I just believe we need a guard that can get inside the defense without people right on his hip and JQ seems to be the guy that can do that.
I think you are over simplifying it. If the other teams guards can’t stay in front of ours, we will drive like crazy and kick. If the other teams don’t have a shot blocker, then we can kill then on layups. Mizzou has great guard play plus a shot blockers. They are a tough match up with us. Not many teams have this ability so we can continue to win. Oats does need to adapt to it and I am sure he will.

Reactions: mtmax
I think you are over simplifying it. If the other teams guards can’t stay in front of ours, we will drive like crazy and kick. If the other teams don’t have a shot blocker, then we can kill then on layups. Mizzou has great guard play plus a shot blockers. They are a tough match up with us. Not many teams have this ability so we can continue to win. Oats does need to adapt to it and I am sure he will.
Missouri isn’t the only team that’s made our half court offense looked really bad lately. We’ve played some good teams lately and they’ve given us fits in the half court. “If the other teams guards can’t stay in front of ours” is what you said. That’s the entire issue. Our guards can catch and shoot but they can’t put it on the floor consistently and get something for us. JQ is the only one that can consistently get in there and he just doesn’t make great decisions with it right now.

The difference in what’s happened recently with our offense is the defenses we’ve faced do not help off shooters and force our guards to make tough 1v1 shots, and we haven’t been able to do that. They won’t let us get open 3’s and will live with the results of the drives.

Reactions: bamabeatallday
Missouri isn’t the only team that’s made our half court offense looked really bad lately. We’ve played some good teams lately and they’ve given us fits in the half court. “If the other teams guards can’t stay in front of ours” is what you said. That’s the entire issue. Our guards can catch and shoot but they can’t put it on the floor consistently and get something for us. JQ is the only one that can consistently get in there and he just doesn’t make great decisions with it right now.
we have lost two close hard fought games--both on the road--to two highly ranked teams. alwaya room for improvement, but this is a very good team and they have nothing to be ashamed of

we have lost two close hard fought games--both on the road--to two highly ranked teams. alwaya room for improvement, but this is a very good team and they have nothing to be ashamed of
I’ve said that. But that doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the problems we’ve had....

The difference in what’s happened recently with our offense is the defenses we’ve faced do not help off shooters and force our guards to make tough 1v1 shots, and we haven’t been able to do that. They won’t let us get open 3’s and will live with the results of the drives.
Lots of us have said that over and over. But we aren’t fixing that issue with personnel during the season. JQ better step it up or we better get some movement/motion in the half court.

Reactions: Sweetlou10
Only two losses in the the last month is a little misleading because its really two losses in a week! And both losses are the only top 25 matchups we had! Even if we are playing so called bottom feeders the rest of the season! We've seen over the last two weeks that SC, Georgia, and Auburn can't beat you if your not ready to play.......which we have not been ready lately! IMO they just blew there shot at the type of wins over Oklahoma and Mizz that get you a 1 or 2 seed! This team will probably be closer to a 5 or 6 seed!
Wrong on all counts! Bet you thought we would get beat by ND!

Lots of us have said that over and over. But we aren’t fixing that issue with personnel during the season. JQ better step it up or we better get some movement/motion in the half court.
It’s not just JQ. Him, Shack, Herb, Ellis etc all can beat their guy off the dribble relatively easy, but they haven’t been able to make those tough layups enough to win these past two ranked games. They just have to take it stronger to the rim and draw a foul instead of trying to make a circus layup.

I fully disagree with that. We have several guards and wings that can drive. Reese and Gary can drive. That is why we are so tough to defend. We basically have the same player at every position which is what I think Oats is trying to build. When every player can drive and shoot 3s, it is very difficult to beat. I will argue that Alabama has beaten itself more than other teams have beaten us.

of course we can discuss it. that is what we are both doing. i said above--there is room for improvement--
I know. But how do we improve is the question. We can’t change personnel. Are we going to add some movement/motion to our offense? Our guards just can’t drive it and get other people open for 3 enough in the half court.

It’s not just JQ. Him, Shack, Herb, Ellis etc all can beat their guy off the dribble relatively easy, but they haven’t been able to make those tough layups enough to win these past two ranked games. They just have to take it stronger to the rim and draw a foul instead of trying to make a circus layup.
Tough layups and circus layups mean you aren’t beating them off the dribble very much.

I fully disagree with that. We have several guards and wings that can drive. Reese and Gary can drive. That is why we are so tough to defend. We basically have the same player at every position which is what I think Oats is trying to build. When every player can drive and shoot 3s, it is very difficult to beat. I will argue that Alabama has beaten itself more than other teams have beaten us.
Driving is one thing. But driving and getting good looks and finishing so that you get shooters open is another. Teams quit helping and we haven’t been able to force help in the half court. Like it or not, that’ll be an issue if we don’t figure it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT