ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama basketball offseason breakdown

Tony_Tsoukalas

All American
Staff
Feb 5, 2014
mock5uy8uohiisdfz1gl

By Hunter Cruse

As Alabama basketball wraps up its offseason additions, BamaInsider provides you with a detailed look at its five newcomers, featuring in-depth scouting reports for each player.

Please click this link to continue reading

CNO has said his starters may not be his best players, but his finishers will be. Quinnerly did great coming off the bench.
I know JQ is a team guy and he basically got starter minutes last year, but I think it's going to be hard to convince him to come off the bench again this year. Plus, with Herb gone, you want to start the game with an experienced ball-handler

Excellent writeup... love it. My only contention is that if Tchickou is coming off the bench I'm severely underrating him.

Have you heard if he has made progress on his outside shot?

(link) highlights looked good -

Bruner may not have been fleet afoot and Reese wasn’t super consistent, but when we had a 5 man making shots from the perimeter it made Bama a nightmare to defend last year.

Some progress there from Gary would be huge as well.

Last edited:
I know JQ is a team guy and he basically got starter minutes last year, but I think it's going to be hard to convince him to come off the bench again this year. Plus, with Herb gone, you want to start the game with an experienced ball-handler
I agree JQ is the Guy. Honestly id have JD at the 2 and let Shaq come off the bench. Take some pressure off of JD as a freshman letting JQ take the ball up the court and running the offense. Let JD only worry about scoring.

Bruner may not have been fleet afoot and Reese wasn’t super consistent, but when we had a 5 man making shots from the perimeter it made Bama a nightmare to defend last year.

Well the argument here is youre trading defense and rebounding for outside shooting from your big. Every shot our big takes from the outside is one less rebounder. Id rather have a 7 foot wingspan battling for offensive rebounds...Gotta think every extra rebound we get from out bigs this year compared to last year is one extra possession. So our big might not be taking outside shots but that extra board can create extra shot attempts for everybody else. Ill personally trade an athletic defender in the paint that can run the floor and board over a big thats sometimes lazy on defense and in transition but can hit threes every now n then IF he gets hot.

Reactions: xcop
I agree JQ is the Guy. Honestly id have JD at the 2 and let Shaq come off the bench. Take some pressure off of JD as a freshman letting JQ take the ball up the court and running the offense. Let JD only worry about scoring.
So let me understand what your saying? We bring our leading scorer off the bench right?

So let me understand what your saying? We bring our leading scorer off the bench right?
No, either way tho. If Shaq comes off the bench hes not getting any less minutes than whoevers at the 1 and 2. Honestly depends on how JD plays. Good problem to have I guess but I see your point. Probably gonna see all 3 on the court at the same time specially against smaller teams. Shacks the better shooter than both JQ and JD but those two can get to the rim better than Shack imo. Gonna be interesting to see

Reactions: Bocat69
No, either way tho. If Shaq comes off the bench hes not getting any less minutes than whoevers at the 1 and 2. Honestly depends on how JD plays. Good problem to have I guess but I see your point. Probably gonna see all 3 on the court at the same time specially against smaller teams. Shacks the better shooter than both JQ and JD but those two can get to the rim better than Shack imo. Gonna be interesting to see
Yep! So much talent, good problem to have. A lot depends on how our freshman adapt to college basketball. I personally think JD is the real deal. Frenchi and Bedioko who knows what we have in them two. Gurley and Gary I've seen enough of them to say they should be pretty solid. The more I think about it I could see a starting group of JQ, Primo, Ellis, Gary and Gurley. Just hard to keep a all SEC selection and your leading scorer out of the starting lineup. We literally have two top 20 lineups on the same roster.

Well the argument here is youre trading defense and rebounding for outside shooting from your big. Every shot our big takes from the outside is one less rebounder. Id rather have a 7 foot wingspan battling for offensive rebounds...Gotta think every extra rebound we get from out bigs this year compared to last year is one extra possession. So our big might not be taking outside shots but that extra board can create extra shot attempts for everybody else. Ill personally trade an athletic defender in the paint that can run the floor and board over a big thats sometimes lazy on defense and in transition but can hit threes every now n then IF he gets hot.

True enough, but if they have to respect it, then it also pulls the defense’s big out of the middle and spaces the floor, which creates better finishing opportunities and offensive rebounding opportunities for the other guys.

Reactions: kansas77 and bet9
Shack is not a better shooter than JQ

Great video of Tchikou... it's hard to stop a 6-11 guy taking a fall away jumper for a 3

I know Alex has put on 20-25 pounds working with the strength coach and CNO said he should be cleared for full contact when they return for summer drills

I hope his Achilles injury doesn't slow him down or limit his jumping ability - ROLL TIDE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT