ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama in deep discussions with Ryan Pannone

Jordan Harper

Head Basketball Analyst
Staff
Dec 28, 2011
Florence, AL
Pannone is a current assistant coach with the New Orleans Pelicans. Former Wallace State CC coach and head coach of the Birmingham Squadron.

Will be completely shocked if this doesn’t happen from what I’m told.

If you have studied basketball and ever coached, you’ve likely heard of Ryan Pannone as he is one of the brightest basketball minds in the business.

He has worked in college, Euroleague, G League, China, and most recently the NBA.

Elite guy to have on staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pannone is a current assistant coach with the New Orleans Pelicans. Former Wallace State CC coach and head coach of the Birmingham Squadron.

Will be completely shocked if this doesn’t happen from what I’m told.
So what do you think about him?

This is one weird hire. He is a 38 year old guy who has never coached or recruited at any level of college basketball (1 season at Wallace Hanceville JC). According to his coaching resume he has only had one job that lasted more than a single season if that long. He is not listed on the official NBA website as an Assistant Coach with New Orleans Pelicans. If he is this basketball X’s and O’s savant which I hope he is and as he is being described to be in this thread…what is he doing coaching as an assistant in places like Israel and Africa (as the video guy)? As rsaxoniii said in the post above this is bigger…heck this is the biggest basketball job he has ever had…period!!

Last edited:
Reactions: lainey2020
This is one weird hire. He is a 38 year old guy who has never coached or recruited at any level of college basketball (1 season at Wallace Hanceville JC). According to his coaching resume he has only had one job that lasted more than a single season if that long. He is not listed on the official NBA website as an Assistant Coach with New Orleans Pelicans. If he is this basketball X’s and O’s savant which I hope he is and as he is being described to be in this thread…what is he doing coaching as an assistant in places like Israel and Africa (as the video guy)? As rsaxoniii said in the post above this is bigger…heck this is the biggest job he will have ever had…period!!
I can go ahead and say he won’t be recruiting. He will be replacing Charlie Henry who didn’t recruit, just game planned and did X’s and O’s He’s been a head coach for the Pelicans G League for 3 of the past 4 years, and the Pelicans liked him enough to bring him up to their organization. Going overseas could’ve just been a personal decision of his and wanted to experience that. He was also removed from the Pelicans site last night

If he’s as elite as what I’ve read on here, it doesn’t make sense. Alabama basketball will never be bigger than sitting on an NBA bench as an assistant.
If he gets this job it’ll be the biggest, best, highest paying job he’s ever had. As you know there are many levels of being classified as an “assistant”…it doesn’t appear as if he was all that high up the Pelicans “assistant” ladder. If he is hired to replace one of the 3 assistants we lost that’s a great hire for him and hopefully for CNO and the University of Alabama Basketball Program.

If he’s as elite as what I’ve read on here, it doesn’t make sense. Alabama basketball will never be bigger than sitting on an NBA bench as an assistant.
From what I know, he didn’t want to be an NBA head coach. The Pelicans tried to keep him, He would like to become a college head coach and this is the best route for him.

Jordan, l'm not doubting you about Henry not recruiting much, but l believe a very important part of being a college assistant is recruiting. Oates is gonna need help recruiting and l don't think either of these 2 hires have ever recruited to a big time college basketball program.

Now these guys may turn out to be great recruiters and l hope they do. You never know about those things. l'm just saying they have never done it before.

Reactions: bet9
Jordan, l'm not doubting you about Henry not recruiting much, but l believe a very important part of being a college assistant is recruiting. Oates is gonna need help recruiting and l don't think either of these 2 hires have ever recruited to a big time college basketball program.

Now these guys may turn out to be great recruiters and l hope they do. You never know about those things. l'm just saying they have never done it before.
For a guy that is 38, he has a great resume and experience, I would bet good players would gravitate to him because of it.

If Oats can’t attract kids himself, with his recent success and with his system that allows them to shoot the 3 non stop, then we are in trouble already. These kids want to score. They want to play in the league. Those are two things has proved he can help with.

The good part is Oats’ system and success sells itself. I believe the 3rd guy will be an elite recruiter with deep connections. The two he’s got right now are very big player coaches that will do great recruiting wise.

Now these guys may turn out to be great recruiters and l hope they do. You never know about those things.
Henry left the NBA for Oats. And became a college head coach as a result. I think Pannone wants that same trajectory.

I understand fans with concerns about recruiting. It is common knowledge that the one thing that has kept Saban on top is so many #1 recruiting classes. Coaching turn overs happen every year, but he replaces them with strong recruiters. Take out a couple of top recruits from last year and we would been a middle of the pack SEC basketball team. This young coach can benefit by studying the Goat next door. Another thing that is common with both Coach Bryant & Saban. Both had the ability to evolve in to a different system that would work. Playing these top teams in non conference gives this a young coach a look at ideals outside of his system if he is open minded enough. Again I’m a young Basketball fan to some of you. We pay to be on this board to learn about the team we follow. And, sometimes to bounce ideals and personal opinions off other fans. Putting JD Davidson in the 1st round after the 1year he had an Alabama should be a good example to a player that CNO can get you to the NBA.

Reactions: xcop and lainey2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT