ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama is slumping in recruiting

Vaughnbama

All American
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2009
We all knew that things would change once Saban retired; however. no one expected this. With June almost up, Alabama's recruiting has suffered, absent Saban and we are currently rated a lowly third in the country. Of Course there is no way to compete against tOSU, who has demonstrated that they have an unlimited NIL budget, having paid an estimated $7,000,000 to lure two Alabama Starters and a third string QB.

The problem with paying big money for Freshmen recruits is that even the best Freshman seldom is ready to play at the college level and these highly touted players are seldom willing to pay the price of sitting a year and developing. If the player is really good as a freshman, they are going straight to the Portal Market Place and selling to the highest bidder. No longer do you get a player for three years before they declare for the draft, as they are now on the market after the last game of the season. Personally, I am interested in the players that come from the Portal than recruits, as recruits will seldom play their third year at the school where they enroll. In my mind, I think in the present enviroment I would rather have a four star that comes in knowing he might have to practice and develop in the first year than a five star that comes in and pouts because he is not in the starting lineup on day one.

I don't blame Caleb Downs for leaving Bama after year one and taking the money, as Caleb will be an All American wherever he goes. The days are over where a head coach at Michigan can take players, keep them on the roster for four years and win a national title in their fourth year. If a player is not starting in year one, he is going to be gone in year two, so recruiting does no matter, if you are signing five star players.

Message to Ohio State. Pay millions to these recruits to get them on campus. Football is now played with 22 starters and one football. I am going to concentrate on building relationships with the players, so that I will be in play the second year, when they hit the transfer portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News