ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Softball... Honest Assessment.

pwestbro61

All American
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2013
I know I have spent a great deal of time detailing in a negative manner the struggles of the softball program the last couple of years.
Have been watching Alabama softball pretty consistently for about 15 years now. Have taken great pride in that program and the high level of success they have achieved. Pretty much the 2nd most successful program in Tuscaloosa.
It is a very different softball world right now nationwide. Money has been poured into programs everywhere and great coaches have been hired at schools that never cared about softball.
Bama softball was still on top of the world just 2 years ago when Bama needed only one win to get to CWS final with a fresh Montana Fouts available. Murphy botched that advantage badly.
And then something went badly wrong halfway through last season. Team was 21-0 and it fell apart. Team failed to win a regional for first time in 15 years and 6 players transferred the hell out of Tuscaloosa. Murphy runs off a great player who went to Arkansas and won an SEC title.
A year after Skylar Wallace left for Florida.
Pretty clear something went wrong with the “ culture”.

And now we have a team that has lost to Lehigh, Kennesaw St and Texas St. ( out hit 10-2 by Texas St).
Hitting issues persist and no decent #2 pitcher.

Player development is non existent last 3-4 years/ players actually regress badly. Are better their freshman season than they are as a junior/ senior.

Just hate to see the program regressing this badly. Nothing lasts forever I guess.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: terp john
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News