ADVERTISEMENT

avery johnson

thanks mr4. i was not a big fan but i pulled like hell for him to succeed and tried to never critisize him. i wish him nothing but the best.
Me too, Mike and Mr.4. I think he was a "pro" coach trying to coach college "kids". Great guy but not a good fit. Wish him nothing but the best!

BTW - it's good to be back in Sweet Home Alabama and back on the board! Been in Montana and Wyoming since July and had sporadic internet service. Great to be home in High Tech Huntsville!

RTR

in the running for the okc thunder job. hope he gets it, he is a good guy. just dont get aj junior as a backup point guard.
He was never built for the college game, he ran the program as if the players were pros and their development was completely on them. That's the case at the NBA level but college players needs to be developed.

I still believe anyone that played as long as he did in the NBA a the PG position while not being the most talented player, knows a lot about the game of BB. Hopes he gets the job, that team was better than I thought they would be this year.

Will not be hired as a head coach ever again in the NBA. Or a major college position either.

He was never built for the college game, he ran the program as if the players were pros and their development was completely on them. That's the case at the NBA level but college players needs to be developed.

I still believe anyone that played as long as he did in the NBA a the PG position while not being the most talented player, knows a lot about the game of BB. Hopes he gets the job, that team was better than I thought they would be this year.
I’d want an upgrade if I was them. You need to know it to coach it, but knowing it doesn’t mean you can coach it. Jury is still out on Avery.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Oof. I’m not sure OKC really wants to win any time soon if they’re committing to that after Donovan’s failure too.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
I would not call Donovan a failure in OKC. His contract EXPIRED and neither party expressed interest in extending he was not fired. Billy wanted clarity in the OKC plan to rebuild ...it was not clear and he wanted out. In the NBA you win with stars and it is hard to recruit big time free agents to OKC or keep your stars .... he had a 35 year old PG this year ... the future does not look good. He won over 60% of his games.

I think what will be interesting will be to see where he lands .... he is a New Yorker at heart .. loves the NBA and not does not enjoy recruiting ..... not sure why but to me Duke seems like a perfect fit

I wish Avery the best ...

Last edited:
Will not be hired as a head coach ever again in the NBA. Or a major college position either.
If AJ were to get hired today he would rank 7th in the NBA in winning percentage, and that is with coaching 3 season with NJ when they were the bottom feeders of the NBA. He would rank 12th in total wins and that is with only coaching 6 full seasons. Last, he would be one of only 7 who have lead his team to an NBA Finals. If guys like Vogel, Scott, and Thibs can get 2nd and 3rd bites at the apple, no reason why Avery shouldn't.

If AJ were to get hired today he would rank 7th in the NBA in winning percentage, and that is with coaching 3 season with NJ when they were the bottom feeders of the NBA. He would rank 12th in total wins and that is with only coaching 6 full seasons. Last, he would be one of only 7 who have lead his team to an NBA Finals. If guys like Vogel, Scott, and Thibs can get 2nd and 3rd bites at the apple, no reason why Avery shouldn't.
Knew it was a matter if time before you came to Avery’s Defense. He inherited a loaded team in Dallas. Mickey Mouse could have won big there at that time.

Reactions: Denny_DennyCrane
Knew it was a matter if time before you came to Avery’s Defense. He inherited a loaded team in Dallas. Mickey Mouse could have won big there at that time.
And yet you have seen loaded teams like the Clippers this year not make it to the conference finals, the Rockets the past few years not live up to expectation, the Thunder when they had KD not live up to expectations, The Bucks with the MVP of the last two years, the Celtics lose to a Cavs team that only had LBJ, I can go on and on.

Do you even watch the NBA? If so you would know that team was far from "loaded" by NBA standards and navigating through the Playoffs isn't a give me for anyone outside of that "loaded" Warriors team who still found a way to lose two NBA Finals.

That Spurs team they beat to get to the NBA Finals was the hands down favorites to win it all that year, that teams was "loaded" by NBA standards.

And yet you have seen loaded teams like the Clippers this year not make it to the conference finals, the Rockets the past few years not live up to expectation, the Thunder when they had KD not live up to expectations, The Bucks with the MVP of the last two years, the Celtics lose to a Cavs team that only had LBJ, I can go on and on.

Do you even watch the NBA? If so you would know that team was far from "loaded" by NBA standards and navigating through the Playoffs isn't a give me for anyone outside of that "loaded" Warriors team who still found a way to lose two NBA Finals.

That Spurs team they beat to get to the NBA Finals was the hands down favorites to win it all that year, that teams was "loaded" by NBA standards.
You and Jr were pretty tight weren’t you?

Negative, but show me where I am wrong in either of my posts. So many claims to not watch pro sports anymore yet want to comment on it like they do.
I haven’t stopped watching sports. Not sure what that has to do with anything being that this not watching sports thing is fairly new and and AJ hasn’t coached in the NBA in years? My 6 year old is obsessed with basketball. He actually got 2 NBA jerseys today for his birthday. So you’re preaching to the wrong crowd on that one. And he knows more basketball than many on this board.
I don’t don’t believe in AJ. Obviously you do. Simple.

I haven’t stopped watching sports. Not sure what that has to do with anything being that this not watching sports thing is fairly new and and AJ hasn’t coached in the NBA in years? My 6 year old is obsessed with basketball. He actually got 2 NBA jerseys today for his birthday. So you’re preaching to the wrong crowd on that one. And he knows more basketball than many on this board.
I don’t don’t believe in AJ. Obviously you do. Simple.
The comment about not being able watching wasn't aimed at you but to the individual my post, that you commented on, was in response to.

While I do believe in AJ, all I did was simply stated the facts which would suggest he should get another shot at coaching in the NBA; that is what I wanted you to comment on if anything I said wasn't true.

The comment about not being able watching wasn't aimed at you but to the individual my post, that you commented on, was in response to.

While I do believe in AJ, all I did was simply stated the facts which would suggest he should get another shot at coaching in the NBA; that is what I wanted you to comment on if anything I said wasn't true.
I don’t know who deserves another shot. I’d take a shot on a young guy instead of some of these has beens. But it really doesn’t matter who they hire if the roster sucks. The NBA isn’t going to be as deep and competitive with the top guys teaming up, so it doesn’t make a big difference who many of the teams hire.

Reactions: G.O.A.T-23
Negative, but show me where I am wrong in either of my posts. So many claims to not watch pro sports anymore yet want to comment on it like they do.
You are delusional if you think he is a good X and O coach. I sat court side for 2 years in Tuscaloosa/ he could not devise a simple in bounds play to save his life. Yes - I watch the NBA. His stint in Brooklyn was stellar by the way. Let me know when some NBA team is crazy or foolish enough to hire him as a head coach.

You are delusional if you think he is a good X and O coach. I sat court side for 2 years in Tuscaloosa/ he could not devise a simple in bounds play to save his life. Yes - I watch the NBA. His stint in Brooklyn was stellar by the way. Let me know when some NBA team is crazy or foolish enough to hire him as a head coach.
I'm glad you were able to uncross your arms long enough to type that out

Conveniently bypassed the other posts. All his numbers except total would place him in the top 10 of active coaches in the NBA today. If you watch the NBA you would know the Nets is one of the worst franchises in all of sports, not just the NBA. They may have a 40% win percentage in their NBA history. They won 12 games prior to him coming, 12 let that sink in. Hell he doubled that his first year and was building them, they was 14-14 when they fired him.

They didn't fire him because he didn't have them going in the right direction, hell he even said when he took the job it would take a couple year to evn get the Nets back to relevance. He lost the team when he made a statement about how you can draw up the perfect plays but if you don't have the players that can get their own shots in the league then you are not going to win a lot of games. That is 100% true, he just had a bunch of entitled players that didn't want to here that they were not great.

Conveniently bypassed the other posts. All his numbers except total would place him in the top 10 of active coaches in the NBA today. If you watch the NBA you would know the Nets is one of the worst franchises in all of sports, not just the NBA. They may have a 40% win percentage in their NBA history. They won 12 games prior to him coming, 12 let that sink in. Hell he doubled that his first year and was building them, they was 14-14 when they fired him.

They didn't fire him because he didn't have them going in the right direction, hell he even said when he took the job it would take a couple year to evn get the Nets back to relevance. He lost the team when he made a statement about how you can draw up the perfect plays but if you don't have the players that can get their own shots in the league then you are not going to win a lot of games. That is 100% true, he just had a bunch of entitled players that didn't want to here that they were not great.
Whatever makes you feel better. LOL

NO ONE in the NBA wins without good players ..... to say Dallas was stacked is wrong ... they did have Nowitzki.

In Avery's 3 years they went to the playoffs each year ... including one Finals.
Since Avery has been gone Rick Carlisle has MISSED the playoffs 3 of 12 year and failed to get past the first round 6 other times .... Avery won 51 games his last year, his worst year, and Carlisle has failed to win over 51 10 times in 12 years. Carlsile did win one Championship ....

I am not saying he is a great coach .... but his record is pretty damn good ... key for him is to find a team with good players.

Donovan took the Bulls job ..... a TERRIBLE team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT