ADVERTISEMENT

Bama Basketball Midnight Madness - OCT 22 and the writer that Berates AD Byrne and the administration

winin11

All American
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2011
I'm curious what the supposed conflicting event is here. I mean, if it's something that can actually use the full space Coleman offers and it was scheduled a long time ago then that's one thing. But if it's something that could be held in any of a half dozen buildings/halls on campus with minimal inconvenience then this is just dumb.

Played correctly by basketball interests and coaches, this could be a wedge that gets the door open for a basketball only arena. Not multipurpose, not multisport... just a B A S K E T B A L L arena. Leave Coleman in place for campus events and gymnastics.

Reactions: winin11
Erik Evans article in link below says on that date that Coleman already has a conflicting event (which I don't know who it is)
and just as the writer predicted that Byrne and the administration aren't supporting the successful coach and his team.

If you know what's happening in Coleman that night please let us know.
It's the UA National Pan-Hellenic Council Step show, which is a part of the football homecoming festivities scheduled on campus for that weekend.

Reactions: winin11
It's the UA National Pan-Hellenic Council Step show, which is a part of the football homecoming festivities scheduled on campus for that weekend.
Thanks JTR, looks like I overlooked the date for homecoming.. Just wondering how many people will be attending the step show? Having it in Coleman makes me believe the will have several thousand.

I'm curious what the supposed conflicting event is here. I mean, if it's something that can actually use the full space Coleman offers and it was scheduled a long time ago then that's one thing. But if it's something that could be held in any of a half dozen buildings/halls on campus with minimal inconvenience then this is just dumb.

Played correctly by basketball interests and coaches, this could be a wedge that gets the door open for a basketball only arena. Not multipurpose, not multisport... just a B A S K E T B A L L arena. Leave Coleman in place for campus events and gymnastics.
Talking to someone who should be in the know.- It was a mutual agreement thing_.
Hoping for a cross promotion thing because of Homecoming..

Agreement or no agreement.
Its time the University of Alabama got off their rich arse and made basketball a higher priority. Nate Oats can bring Alabama to a yearly contender status.
Stop playing the old games and put some descent thought into what you are doing.
I love a great Bama basketball team.
They need to stop playing games.

The shows used to be at fosters until during the show they cracked the floor. They moved it to Coleman for a year and then to another place and now it’s back in Coleman. Both of these events will do fine in fosters. If they had it in Coleman, there wouldn’t even be 2500 people, so it’s actually better over there packed out instead of in Coleman.

Late to the party, but actually have some inside perspective regarding this decision. The plan/goal was to get a Basketball on the Quad event similar to what other SEC schools have successfully done. Everyone was on board. But when it came to scheduling, the only Friday available was the 22nd, which fell on homecoming weekend. With all the festivities of the weekend, it was not going to be feasible. After that fell through, they evaluated all options with the hope of having the event in a hyped atmosphere. Coleman just simply doesn’t fill up for Tide Tip-off, so they went with the next option for an indoor arena in Tuscaloosa and settled on Foster. I would expect the Basketball on the Quad event to work out in the coming years. Would be a great event.

Late to the party, but actually have some inside perspective regarding this decision. The plan/goal was to get a Basketball on the Quad event similar to what other SEC schools have successfully done. Everyone was on board. But when it came to scheduling, the only Friday available was the 22nd, which fell on homecoming weekend. With all the festivities of the weekend, it was not going to be feasible. After that fell through, they evaluated all options with the hope of having the event in a hyped atmosphere. Coleman just simply doesn’t fill up for Tide Tip-off, so they went with the next option for an indoor arena in Tuscaloosa and settled on Foster. I would expect the Basketball on the Quad event to work out in the coming years. Would be a great event.
Thanks for some clarity on this Mac. Sounds like CNO is fine with the way things worked out.

Reactions: MacRtr14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT