ADVERTISEMENT

BANKS HS - IMPACT ON SEC, ACC AND NFL

jordin2715

All American
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2017
If you lived in the Birmingham area in the mid to late 1960's and 1970's this information will hopefully bring back some good memories! If you didn't, it should shed some light on the football powerhouse that Banks HS was in the state of Alabama. This is just a small sampling of what I remember growing up as a kid in Roebuck, so feel free to add your insights as well on anything that I missed. Listed below are individuals that attended Banks or were affiliated with the school and their impact on the SEC, ACC and the NFL. Banks was a "pipeline" to Alabama during this era.

GEORGE "SHORTY" WHITE - HC and won 3 state titles at Banks. He coached in the famous "Woodlawn" game in 1974. 88 of his players received D1 scholarships during his tenure at Banks and 1 other school that he coached at when he returned to HS after coaching at Alabama. He coached 5 years ('75-'80) at Alabama under Paul "Bear" Bryant.

DAVID CUTCLIFFE - Played at Bama in the early '70's. HC at Banks. OC at Tennessee coaching Peyton Manning. HC at Ole Miss coaching Eli Manning. HC at Duke. Huge impact on college football and players that went on to star in the NFL. 2016 inductee in the ASHOF.

PAIGE CUTCLIFFE - Brother of David. He spurned the instate schools and went to the University of Florida. My brother-in-law (sister's husband) graduated with him at Banks in 1964.

BOBBY JOHNS - 2X All-American DB at Alabama. Assistant coach at Banks.

JOHNNY MUSSO - All-American HB at Alabama and was 4th in the Heisman voting in 1971. # 22 in the Wishbone. 7-Year professional career, 3 in the CFL (BC Lions), 3 in the NFL (Bears), 1 in WFL. Inducted into the College Football HOF in 2000. My brother Steve graduated with him in 1968, and I still have Johnny's HS graduation card (56 years later!) where he wrote me a nice note!

GARY RUTLEDGE - Played QB at Alabama winning the NC in 1973.

JEFF RUTLEDGE - Was Banks QB in the "Woodlawn" game and played QB at Alabama winning the NC in 1978. Played 14 years in the NFL - 2X Superbowl champion.

MIKE NEEL - Played at Auburn and was a captain on their 1972 team.

RICK NEEL - Played HB at Auburn.

PHIL NEEL - Father of Mike & Rick (Banks Booster). He was an artist for the Birmingham Post Herald, and he created "Aubie" Auburn's mascot. He illustrated the Auburn program covers and tickets for 18 years.

BILLY SHIELDS - Played OT at Georgia Tech (He is 6'8") and selected into GT - HOF in 1985. Played 11 seasons in the NFL ( 9 with SD, 1 with SF, 1 with KC/NYJ) winning 1 Superbowl. He is in the iconic NFL photo (#66) helping Killen Winslow off the field in the 1982 Chargers-Dolphins overtime playoff game in Miami. His mother was the biology teacher at Banks and was probably one of the original "Single Moms" as she was divorced and raising 5 kids in the 60's! His brother Tommy was a friend and classmate of mine. I believe that my dad was one of Billy's Little League coaches at Eastside Park in Roebuck. I met Killen Winslow at the SEC Legends Dinner when he was the Missouri legend, and I showed him a photo of Billy in the 1969 Banks program that I have. He laughed and took a picture of Billy's photo and immediately sent Billy a humorous text! Obviously, they're still good friends. One other sidebar, when we lived in Naperville (Chicago suburb) our HS played East Saint Louis, IL in the quarterfinals of the 1974 state playoffs. Killen Winslow played for East Saint Louis, and they beat us 35-0! My brother Kent (6'2" and 240), played tackle on our team and he received a scholarship to play at West Point. Had we not moved out of Birmingham, he would have played in the Woodlawn game and IMHO may have ended up playing at Alabama! His HC at West Point was Homer Smith who became the OC at Alabama under Bill Curry!

"WOODLAWN" - The movie about the famous 1974 Banks - Woodlawn game attended by 42,000 fans. It was estimated that thousands more would have been in attendance, but they closed the gates! Tony Nathan was the star RB at Woodlawn and of course Tony and Jeff Rutledge were teammates at Alabama and "Shorty" was an assistant coach at Bama while they played there.

Hopefully this has been an informative post on Banks HS. I couldn't resist adding in the personal information too! Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.