ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball game

H.R

All State
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
Went to the game tonight and that team tonight is no where close to the team I watched just a couple weeks back.
The Davidson team out hustled and wanted the game more than Bama.. it’s hard to say but we were out coached also. We had a one and one with 10:25 left in the game and only took advantage of it on the last possession of the game when our guard took to the hole and was fouled. We had a chance to tie it up with 4 seconds remaining but missed the last.
Just a disappointing night when we were so much more athletic than the other team.
We live and die with the 3…!!!!

Went to the game tonight and that team tonight is no where close to the team I watched just a couple weeks back.
The Davidson team out hustled and wanted the game more than Bama.. it’s hard to say but we were out coached also. We had a one and one with 10:25 left in the game and only took advantage of it on the last possession of the game when our guard took to the hole and was fouled. We had a chance to tie it up with 4 seconds remaining but missed the last.
Just a disappointing night when we were so much more athletic than the other team.
I was there as well. The difference in talent and athleticism was evident from the tip. We were simply out coached and out hustled by a group of guys that would be running our scout team if they were on our roster. I don’t know what has happened to our team since the Houston game, but we better figure it out quickly because conference play begins in 8 days.

Last edited:
Davidson’s kids are smart/ do not commit stupid fouls. Lack of defense lost this game.

I was there as well. The difference in talent and athleticism was evident from the tip. We were simply out coached and out hustled by a group of guys that would be running our scout team if they were on our roster. I don’t know what has happened to our team sine the Houston game, but we better figure it out quickly because conference play begins in 8 days.
Scout team? Not quite. Those guys can shoot and know fundamentals.

There’s not a single player on their roster that would’ve even sniffed a scholarship offer from us.
Not sure you understand basketball- like many Bama fans. Parity is the rule of the day. Maybe you missed Hofstra beating Arkansas or Samford beating Ole Miss. You think Hofstra has one kid Arkansas would offer? No.

Not sure you understand basketball- like many Bama fans. Parity is the rule of the day. Maybe you missed Hofstra beating Arkansas or Samford beating Ole Miss. You think Hofstra has one kid Arkansas would offer? No.
I’ve watched basketball for over 50 years, and I’ve also played and coached it. I’m as far from a FOG as you can get. There’s no excuse for losing to Davidson, or for us to follow up back to back wins over Gonzaga and Houston with 3 consecutive s**t shows. If we don’t get things fixed we’ll be fortunate to even come close to a .500 conference record.

For
Dude you were on here 3 weeks ago acting like Iona shouldn't even be on the same court as Bama. Now you boasting about parity? Which one is it? Let me guess Samford, Davidson, and Hofstra are 10x better than Iona?

I’ve watched basketball for over 50 years, and I’ve also played and coached it. I’m as far from a FOG as you can get. There’s no excuse for losing to Davidson, or for us to follow up back to back wins over Gonzaga and Houston with 3 consecutive s**t shows. If we don’t get things fixed we’ll be fortunate to even come close to a .500 conference record.
SEC is really not that good. The non conference schedule has probably been tougher. Look around the league.

For
Dude you were on here 3 weeks ago acting like Iona shouldn't even be on the same court as Bama. Now you boasting about parity? Which one is it? Let me guess Samford, Davidson, and Hofstra are 10x better than Iona?
I have the ability to learn and have been watching Bama basketball for long enough to realize we will be teased by great moments but ultimately will be disappointed. It is the DNA of Tide basketball- and has been for a long time.

Believe Davidson is better than Iona.

SEC is really not that good. The non conference schedule has probably been tougher. Look around the league.
We play the boogs, Kentucky, and LSU twice each. They’re all ranked in the top 20. Tennessee is better than they were last year. Georgia and Ole Miss both beat the Memphis team that ran us out of the FedEx Forum. Arkansas is good. Mississippi State is better than they were last year. A & M also appears to be improved as well, especially in the front court.

I have the ability to learn and have been watching Bama basketball for long enough to realize we will be teased by great moments but ultimately will be disappointed. It is the DNA of Tide basketball- and has been for a long time.

Believe Davidson is better than Iona.
That last statement isn’t much of a stretch. I don’t think either would finish in the top 7 of the SEC.

There’s not a single player on their roster that would’ve even sniffed a scholarship offer from us.
That's exactly the problem. There's always one or two bigs on teams like that who would be the best forwards we have. They're not typically playing high school ball in this state, and they have as much interest in playing for us as we do in them.

Reactions: frazor
We play the boogs, Kentucky, and LSU twice each. They’re all ranked in the top 20. Tennessee is better than they were last year. Georgia and Ole Miss both beat the Memphis team that ran us out of the FedEx Forum. Arkansas is good. Mississippi State is better than they were last year. A & M also appears to be improved as well, especially in the front court.
LSU has played no one- schedule has been a joke. Arkansas got blown out by Oklahoma and lost to Hofstra by 9 in Little Rock. Georgia is awful- what is their overall record? Take a look.
Ole Miss just lost to Samford. Florida lost to Texas Southern. Vandy is not very good/ nor is Missouri or South Carolina.

That's exactly the problem. There's always one or two bigs on teams like that who would be the best forwards we have. They're not typically playing high school ball in this state, and they have as much interest in playing for us as we do in them.
Yeah unless your signing a top 5 kid in the nation it's tough to get great production night after night from a freshman big. Didn't look that closely at Davidson's roster but anytime you face these midmajors and see 3 seniors and two juniors in the starting five you're in for a fight. While Petty and Jones brought talent to the court last year they also brought thousands of minutes of playing time.

I can guarantee you that they would have more interest in playing for us than playing for Davidson if we extended an offer.

They are sound. Make the right plays more times that not, even if the result is the desired one. They are smart. They are running offense, clock and trying to get easy baskets with screens, cuts and such. They have to play that way to beat teams like us. It’s fun to watch. I wonder what we’d look like if we had more motion, screening, cutting and such off the ball when we were in the half court.
I assume Oats just believes in guys being in certain spots to catch and shoot and too much motion off the ball can make that difficult. The key is at least one guy has to get penetration and score or draw defenders. The odd thing is it seems we are playing with more lineups that don’t have as many shooters on the floor this season. We have two of 0, 2 and 10 on the floor a good bit and none of them are big threats from 3. Which we scored enough today to win but we should have scored against that group.
At the moment we look like one of those teams that just wants the ball back and don’t care if it takes the other team scoring to get it back.

Which would be out hustled…,
That’s the easy excuse. I’m 35 and I can’t play near as hard now as I could when I was 18. But I can wear some 18 year olds out without playing near as hard as they do bc I’m way smarter than them.

Reactions: bet9 and dolba003
I told my 10 year old grandson to watch the Davidson players, especially how they moved when they didn't have the ball. That was real basketball. Lots of motion, screens, patience, good shooters, good passing, few turnovers. They played high IQ team basketball. It was beautiful to watch.

This Bama team got outplayed. The last 3 games have been very hard to watch, not sure what's going on, but they better figure it out quick!

Reactions: bet9
Davidson is the most fundamentally sound basketball team we've seen this season. They move great without the ball, play sound defense, rarely out of position, and make their free throws. Despite the loss it was refreshing to watch that kind of team play, as opposed to two teams just trying to out "athlete" one another.

Went to the game as well. Very disappointing to lose to a last minute fill in team that really lead us most of the way. They just wanted it more. Diving for loose and boxing out to prevent very few put backs. Our defensive communication and low post D is dog shit right now. Failure to switch and letting Ivan Drago just back us down to 2 feet away for layups was the theme of the night. Haven’t looked at stats but we are getting good looks from three, in the first half he couldn’t seem to buy one. I’ll say it again about JD too, he’s so one dimensional on offense I can’t believe he’s considered a first round pick. He simply won’t shoot a 3. Watched him in warmups drain 4-5 in a row so we know he has it. JQ missed a lot of drives he normally makes. Hate the last free throw missed but I felt like Davidson earned the win. Having said all that this team has a high ceiling if they decide to play defense and hustle. If not we’ll be back to first four in/last four out. I think we get things turned around by SEC play.

Went to the game as well. Very disappointing to lose to a last minute fill in team that really lead us most of the way. They just wanted it more. Diving for loose and boxing out to prevent very few put backs. Our defensive communication and low post D is dog shit right now. Failure to switch and letting Ivan Drago just back us down to 2 feet away for layups was the theme of the night. Haven’t looked at stats but we are getting good looks from three, in the first half he couldn’t seem to buy one. I’ll say it again about JD too, he’s so one dimensional on offense I can’t believe he’s considered a first round pick. He simply won’t shoot a 3. Watched him in warmups drain 4-5 in a row so we know he has it. JQ missed a lot of drives he normally makes. Hate the last free throw missed but I felt like Davidson earned the win. Having said all that this team has a high ceiling if they decide to play defense and hustle. If not we’ll be back to first four in/last four out. I think we get things turned around by SEC play.
Went to game also, could not have said it better...

Davidson is a well coached team and , no, many fans do not understand how a smart, hustling well coached team is a tough out .
Still a very frustrating loss but could not watch a minute of the game because it wasn’t carried in my part of the world

I admit to not knowing basketball fundamentals but offensively we look different than earlier in the season. Early on, we were moving the ball with good spacing and excellent passing. Now the passing has been reduced and much more dribbling and one-on-one action.

As we move into the conference schedule I suspect we'll see some lineup changes, and some players who have been getting significant minutes may get less. Specifically Gurley. He just hasn't gotten up to speed yet. There was crucial point in the game last night where he turned it over on what should have been an easy bucket, and then immediately went down the other end of the court and fouled on a made 3 point bucket that turned into a 4 point play. That's a 6 point turnaround in one trip up and down the floor.

Reactions: Codie B
Bama is only elite when shooting well from 3. Limited post game still and D has disappeared lately.
Yeah and we’re ranked almost 200 in 3 point percentage. We miss a ton of layups as well. It’s pretty well known and easy how to get us to struggle, make us play half court offense. The lack of intensity early in games is the most troubling. We did it last year, we had to make furious comebacks the last 3 games of the SEC tournament and basically gave away the first half in at least 2 of the 3 NCAA games. If we don’t come out on fire from 3, we’re in trouble.

Maybe not for most of their team but one of their guards was a Mich St transfer that was a 4* coming out of high school. I doubt we would have found the other guard without having a contact to find him for us.
Yeah unless your signing a top 5 kid in the nation it's tough to get great production night after night from a freshman big. Didn't look that closely at Davidson's roster but anytime you face these midmajors and see 3 seniors and two juniors in the starting five you're in for a fight. While Petty and Jones brought talent to the court last year they also brought thousands of minutes of playing time.

This. When I saw Davidson was the replacement and actually looked at the roster I had a weird thought that this was the kind of team that always gives Bama teams fits in Dec or March. A Mich St transfer guard (a 4th year Jr no less) and a team loaded with experience in an offense that no one wants to play against.

In short, that was a very difficult team to prep for with just a couple days to track down film and sort out how to play them. In March you tend to have more avenues to go to for help getting prepared. This was a tough ask for an experienced team but we have several kids still figuring it out at this level. For all intents and purposes they might as well have announced the opponent the night before the game. We barely had time to prep anything for this game and probably had a scouting report that amounted to how their coaches teams tend to play ball and not much about the team itself.

Reactions: bet9 and Sassy12
I admit to not knowing basketball fundamentals but offensively we look different than earlier in the season. Early on, we were moving the ball with good spacing and excellent passing. Now the passing has been reduced and much more dribbling and one-on-one action.
Agreed. Spacing has been terrible as of late. When the players bunch up, there is no one to kick out to when they drive, not to mention there is no room to drive. Shack should be deep in the corner shooting 3s, not Gary.

Reactions: Codie B
dont understand why college players especially shooters can`t knock down free throws.
I just have never understood this either. I was, unfortunately, not a D1 player, but I could still hit my free throws at a very high clip. My younger brother and I always discuss this. I think he had the highest FT % in college BB his junior year.

I told my 10 year old grandson to watch the Davidson players, especially how they moved when they didn't have the ball. That was real basketball. Lots of motion, screens, patience, good shooters, good passing, few turnovers. They played high IQ team basketball. It was beautiful to watch.
Davidson has always been a high IQ team. They are taught fundamentally sound basketball from day one and don’t depend on out running/jumping/highlight playing the other team. They play smart by looking at the other team’s weaknesses and exploiting on defense. They are patient with the ball and run all those backdoor sets that are old school. We play the exact opposite style, run and gun version of bb with the knowledge that we will miss a good many shots but the pace will exhaust the other team therefore leading to easy baskets by out running them. The only positive I can see when playing a team like Davidson is that it may prepare us to see a team with a similar style in the tourney and the coaches can refer back to that game. I taught a couple of kids that later played in the A 10 and followed them fairly closely. The teams in that conference are not easy wins.

We waited until they were up 52-39 before we understood that some real intensity and effort was going to be required on the defensive end.

I drove up from Mobile to see this game. Pretty disappointed with it.

When we are not speeding the game up by creating havoc on defense, we struggle. Our best 3 point shooting comes in transition. We weren't able to get in transition nearly enough against JSU or Davidson. When we have to run sets in the half-court it is really hard for us to score. We haven't been good in half-court defense either. Picks and motion have worked too well on us. I think that's an effort issue and a concentration issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT