ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball nuggets

jtr4dad

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2011
Hoover, Alabama
With the season opener only 25 days away, I've been scouring the web in hopes of finding some good info on how the team is progressing. I stumbled across a post this morning which is a summary of the impressions of a couple of guys who attended multiple team workouts this summer and also were able to watch a practice earlier this week. Here are their thoughts in a nutshell:

1) The 3 most improved players from summer to now are Gary, Holt, and Miles. They described Gary as a beast, both on defense and on the boards. He also hit a couple of 3 pointers in the scrimmage. Miles seemed to be very confident and hit several 3 pointers as well. Holt also made a few 3's, but still needs to get stronger to be a real force.
2) Quinerly was the best offensive player. His shooting, ball handling, and command of the offense was excellent. It appears that he will probably be our 6th man again this season, providing instant energy and production off the bench.
3) Our starting five appears for now to be Davison, Shack, Ellis, Gurley, and Bediako. JD ran the offense well, and finished with several highlight reel dunks on the break. Bediako ran the floor well. He has good hands, and is an excellent shot blocker and rebounder. The downside for him at the moment is that he has no offensive game other than catching alley oops. Ellis and Shack looked great. Gurley is a steady, well rounded player.
4) Tchikou looked good handling the ball and had a few blocked shots on the defensive end. Missing last season seems to have really affected him on the offensive end. He had a difficult time when guys got physical with him.

The guys were blown away by the overall speed and quickness of our team.

Can't wait til November 9!

Last edited:
Thanks jtr4, just wondering who these guys might be. If it needs to be kept quiet I understand in hopes we get more nuggets out of them.
Great post, and I also can't wait til tip time.
Roll Tide

Reactions: bet9
Thanks for the info. That starting 5 is sort of what I expected but I am a little surprised Q's role is still that of 6th man.

We really need some players to step up a be really good shooters, especially since Burnett’s injury. I am shocked, from earlier reports, that Bediako is a starter, especially over Gary. I had just kept hearing how raw he still was, and Gary seems to fit Oats offensive philosophy better. Thanks for the update!

We really need some players to step up a be really good shooters, especially since Burnett’s injury. I am shocked, from earlier reports, that Bediako is a starter, especially over Gary. I had just kept hearing how raw he still was, and Gary seems to fit Oats offensive philosophy better. Thanks for the update!
i think especially in the early season everybody will play before coach oats comes up with a regular rotation.

Reactions: Codie B
With the season opener only 25 days away, I've been scouring the web in hopes of finding some good info on how the team is progressing. I stumbled across a post this morning which is a summary of the impressions of a couple of guys who attended multiple team workouts this summer and also were able to watch a practice earlier this week. Here are their thoughts in a nutshell:

1) The 3 most improved players from summer to now are Gary, Holt, and Miles. They described Gary as a beast, both on defense and on the boards. He also hit a couple of 3 pointers in the scrimmage. Miles seemed to be very confident and hit several 3 pointers as well. Holt also made a few 3's, but still needs to get stronger to be a real force.
2) Quinerly was the best offensive player. His shooting, ball handling, and command of the offense was excellent. It appears that he will probably be our 6th man again this season, providing instant energy and production off the bench.
3) Our starting five appears for now to be Davison, Shack, Ellis, Gurley, and Bediako. JD ran the offense well, and finished with several highlight reel dunks on the break. Bediako ran the floor well. He has good hands, and is an excellent shot blocker and rebounder. The downside for him at the moment is that he has no offensive game other than catching alley oops. Ellis and Shack looked great. Gurley is a steady, well rounded player.
4) Tchikou looked good handling the ball and had a few blocked shots on the defensive end. Missing last season seems to have really affected him on the offensive end. He had a difficult time when guys got physical with him.

if gary can hit his jumpshot, it will be hard to keep him from playing 30 mintes a game.

Reactions: Codie B and jtr4dad
Codie, I have seen others say that about Bediako here, but I have heard he has impressed the coaches so far.

Reactions: bet9 and Codie B

I went to the practice last week. It was an efficient practice. There was no sitting around.
-Gary was incredible. I watched him most of the practice. He made tons of shots from three. It was so nice to see. I think he is our high energy player along with Ellis.
-I felt like Charles looks good inside and catching balls around the rim.
-Frenchie shot a lot of threes in practice but I didn’t see him make any. It did look like he had a good shot though. I’m very excited by what I saw.
-Rojas was running up and down the court and doing a step ladder drill.
-Ambrose- Hilton was doing lots of shots and seem to be healed up from his dislocated kneecap.

Expextations are high. We will see what kind of leadership we have. I think Keon makes the biggest move in scoring. Also, I think a new arena is really being talked about. We will see.

Pfaud, two questions. How did you get into practice and who do you think our starting five will be?

Reactions: pfaud001
Pfaud, two questions. How did you get into practice and who do you think our starting five will be?
It was a luncheon for being a tide pride. There were a good many fans there. This is just me, but I think

Quinerly
Shack
Keon
Gurley or Gary
Charles B

Gary could easily come off the bench, but if he is scoring like he was when I was watching, I don't know how he doesn't start. I also think it will depend on who we are playing. I also think JD comes in fairly quickly like Q did last year. I have heard Oats speak twice in the last month, and he said that Q and JD will play at the same time some. I think that will depend on the height of the other team and their defensive capabilities. I think that JD will have an adjustment period on defense, but that is just my opinion.

It was a luncheon for being a tide pride. There were a good many fans there. This is just me, but I think

Quinerly
Shack
Keon
Gurley or Gary
Charles B

Gary could easily come off the bench, but if he is scoring like he was when I was watching, I don't know how he doesn't start. I also think it will depend on who we are playing. I also think JD comes in fairly quickly like Q did last year. I have heard Oats speak twice in the last month, and he said that Q and JD will play at the same time some. I think that will depend on the height of the other team and their defensive capabilities. I think that JD will have an adjustment period on defense, but that is just my opinion.
I like it P, but I think JD starts and Q comes off the bench.

I like it P, but I think JD starts and Q comes off the bench.
If he starts, it will be because he is the stud we want him to be. Q just seems like the best player on the team and I think Oats will start him.

I think this team is going to need to develop chemistry and toughness and may suffer a few set backs early in the season. Especially with the schedule . Similar to last season and after being tested in the non conference should be ready for SEC.
But will definitely learn where they stand early in season with non conference schedule

CNO likes him as a rebounder & rim protector. Gary will get plenty of PT!

CNO likes him as a rebounder & rim protector. Gary will get plenty of PT!
I am confident Gary will get plenty of playing time. Oats, obviously, has a plan, and likes Bediako to fulfill it in some capacity. I was just a little surprised he was ready to be a major contributor after reading numerous posts about how raw he was coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheerperfection
I am confident Gary will get plenty of playing time. Oats, obviously, has a plan, and likes Bediako to fulfill it in some capacity. I was just a little surprised he was ready to be a major contributor after reading numerous posts about how raw he was coming in.
bediako will probally help more on defense and rebounding than scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT