ADVERTISEMENT

Benny's Breakdown: Nate Oats talks Alabama's comeback win over Arkansas

James Benedetto

All American
Staff
Jul 30, 2022
Opening statement…

“Before I can start on the game, it was brought to my attention after the game about the pregame introductions. I think it has been something that’s been going on all year. I don’t watch our introductions, I’m not involved with them. I’m at another place during that time. Regardless it’s not appropriate. It’s been addressed and I can assure you that it will definitely not happen again this year. As far as the basketball stuff goes, we didn’t have a great start to the game. This is two games in a row now where I don’t think we played our best basketball. In the beginning of the game, we struggled to score for the first few minutes. We were down nine at the half, I thought we made some easy adjustments in the second half. I think (Jahvon) Quinerly was able to get into the paint and create offense for us. He ends up with seven assists, I thought he played really well. It’s nice to have depth that you can go with different options. We’ve needed different guys to step up in different games. I thought he was a big one in this game. We’ve gotta learn to close games better too. I think they scored 20 points in the last 2:30 or so. Give Arkansas credit, they are a talented team. Nick Smith is obviously really talented. They never quit on it. They got down, they hung in there and they gave themselves a chance there in the last 30 seconds. Give our guys a lot of credit after being down at the half, coming out and playing as hard as they did in the second half to get the win. We’ve got it down to two games left in the regular season with at least a one-game lead after today over Texas A&M. Depending on what happens with them and Mississippi State, we can clinch at least a share of the regular season championship against Auburn on Wednesday. That game on Wednesday will be a big game for us.”

Benny’s Breakdown: Alabama has found a way to work through distractions this week and Saturday was no different. After Brandon Miller’s pregame introduction routine caught the attention of the national media, the freshman was able to put together another stellar performance the team desperately needed. Along with Miller, the Crimson Tide got production out of Jahvon Quinerly, Mark Sears and Noah Clowney who all finished with double digits in Saturday’s win. Alabama’s win and Texas A&M’s loss to Mississippi State solidify a share of the SEC regular-season title — meaning that a win over Auburn would make it two outright regular-season titles in the Nate Oats era.

On finding a way to win after a poor 3-point shooting performance…

“We hit three 3s and went 3-for-22, obviously that’s not good enough. We had shooting issues last year, this year we shot it much better. We have to get some guys into the gym to get up shots and do it in games and all of that. But it gives us some confidence because Arkansas is playing very well. They’re playing their best basketball here, outside of Trevon Brazile being out, they’ve got their full squad they’re going to have for the rest of the year. They’ve won some big games. They came in here with Nick (Smith Jr.), with everybody and they shot 50% from 3-point range. They don’t take as many, but they obviously shot it well. So for us to shoot as poorly as we did from 3, and still figured out a way to get a win, tells you we’re able to win in multiple ways. They’re a tough team, we ended up outrebounding them by 11. They ended up going smaller for a lot of the second half based on what we were able to do to them on the offensive end, which obviously helped the rebounding but we don’t have to just win one way. For everybody that thinks that when we shoot the ball poorly from 3-point range we lose, we just shot 30% and won the game against a really good team. I think it gives us some confidence we can still win games where we're not making threes.”

Benny’s Breakdown: One of the major differences between last season’s team and this year’s is Alabama’s ability to win in different ways. In the past, when the Crimson Tide couldn’t convert from long-range, it normally resulted in a loss. Now that doesn’t happen as frequently. While it is convenient to have a game-changer like Brandon Miller on your team, Alabama also has plenty of depth at each position. Case and point is a guy like Noah Clowney, who starts games because of his relentless play on the defensive end, but quietly had a double-double tallying 10 points and 13 rebounds. Alabama’s depth is something Oats has harped on all season and it came through once again on Saturday.

On Jahvon Quinerly’s play…

“Listen Jahvon has been in big games. He was the SEC Tournament MVP two years ago. He’s proven he can play at a high level. We’ve been trying to get his defense better, his offense has been getting better and better as the weeks go on in practice. I thought he was much more engaged on the defensive end in this game. We were 48 points per 100 possessions better with him on the floor than when he was off the floor tonight. Offensively we were obviously a lot better with him on the floor tonight. A lot better. There’s gonna be teams that we play that it’s gonna be a bigger difference with him on the floor than otherwise. Defensively, he’s gotta get a little bit better, but I think he’s been trying hard. He gives up some size sometimes when we switch and we’ve been switching a lot. But we don’t win the game if he doesn’t play as well as he does in the second half. We needed him tonight. We’re going to need him going forward. It’s great to see him get his swagger back.”

Benny’s Breakdown: Speaking of depth, there wasn’t a better player on the floor than Quinerly in the second half. While he started the game slowly, scoring just four points in 10 minutes of playing time, the senior turned it on in the second half with 12 points on 5 of 10 shooting along with seven assists. His facilitating helped jumpstart Alabama’s offense, especially during that 17-0 run in the final frame. The run which began at the 15-minute mark gave Alabama the lead for the second time and it wouldn’t be relinquished despite a late push by Arkansas.

On Brandon Miller’s scoring stretch…

“Like I said after the South Carolina game, I think he's the most mentally tough, if not the most mentally tough kids, that I've coached in my life and I’ve been coaching for a while. He completely understands the situation is tragic and he takes it very seriously as he’s been cooperating the whole time. He’s also done a great job being able to focus on practices, games and getting just laser focused where he’s dialed into where his feet are at. You look at how he’s played, he shot the ball well at South Carolina and kind of had everything going. Tonight he didn’t shoot the ball well. He was 1-for-6 from 3 and still winds up with 24 points. He’s got adjustments to his game. He got downhill. I mean he was coming into huddles saying, ‘They’re not going to help off of me. Use me as a screener. Alright, I’m going to screen you because they are not helping off of me. You can get downhill.’ We saw that happen multiple times. He sets the screen, Quinerly gets into the paint, Sears gets into the pain, so he’s got a high IQ and wants to help the team win. It’s really an ‘us’ thing and not a ‘me’ thing with him. I think when fully talented players are fully bought into doing whatever it takes for the team to win, sometimes you see weeks like he’s had. He’s got a special way about getting locked into where he’s currently at, whether it’s practice, games or whatever, focusing in on that and he’s been able to do that this week.”

Benny’s Breakdown: While there has been a lot said about Miller’s performance on the court, this week has exemplified his drive and his ability to perform no matter what is being said about him off the court. There’s not many people who can deal with the pressure and scrutiny he’s dealing with at 20 years old, but he does. Better yet the outside noise has propelled him to the best two-game stretch of his career. His 24 tonight, gives him 65 points over the last two games. Alabama needed every point after back-to-back subpar performances against South Carolina, and now, Arkansas. Regardless of how the team has played, Miller still comes through, leading Alabama to the precipice for another regular-season title.

I fear some writers may not want Miller to receive the awards he is due because of this controversy. That would be very unfair in my estimation. It was good to hear the ESPN guys agreed he should be playing. That is much different than what was said by one of them right after the SC win. Obviously he should be player of the week again. He is one tough young man.

Opening statement…

“Before I can start on the game, it was brought to my attention after the game about the pregame introductions. I think it has been something that’s been going on all year. I don’t watch our introductions, I’m not involved with them. I’m at another place during that time. Regardless it’s not appropriate. It’s been addressed and I can assure you that it will definitely not happen again this year. As far as the basketball stuff goes, we didn’t have a great start to the game. This is two games in a row now where I don’t think we played our best basketball. In the beginning of the game, we struggled to score for the first few minutes. We were down nine at the half, I thought we made some easy adjustments in the second half. I think (Jahvon) Quinerly was able to get into the paint and create offense for us. He ends up with seven assists, I thought he played really well. It’s nice to have depth that you can go with different options. We’ve needed different guys to step up in different games. I thought he was a big one in this game. We’ve gotta learn to close games better too. I think they scored 20 points in the last 2:30 or so. Give Arkansas credit, they are a talented team. Nick Smith is obviously really talented. They never quit on it. They got down, they hung in there and they gave themselves a chance there in the last 30 seconds. Give our guys a lot of credit after being down at the half, coming out and playing as hard as they did in the second half to get the win. We’ve got it down to two games left in the regular season with at least a one-game lead after today over Texas A&M. Depending on what happens with them and Mississippi State, we can clinch at least a share of the regular season championship against Auburn on Wednesday. That game on Wednesday will be a big game for us.”

Benny’s Breakdown: Alabama has found a way to work through distractions this week and Saturday was no different. After Brandon Miller’s pregame introduction routine caught the attention of the national media, the freshman was able to put together another stellar performance the team desperately needed. Along with Miller, the Crimson Tide got production out of Jahvon Quinerly, Mark Sears and Noah Clowney who all finished with double digits in Saturday’s win. Alabama’s win and Texas A&M’s loss to Mississippi State solidify a share of the SEC regular-season title — meaning that a win over Auburn would make it two outright regular-season titles in the Nate Oats era.

On finding a way to win after a poor 3-point shooting performance…

“We hit three 3s and went 3-for-22, obviously that’s not good enough. We had shooting issues last year, this year we shot it much better. We have to get some guys into the gym to get up shots and do it in games and all of that. But it gives us some confidence because Arkansas is playing very well. They’re playing their best basketball here, outside of Trevon Brazile being out, they’ve got their full squad they’re going to have for the rest of the year. They’ve won some big games. They came in here with Nick (Smith Jr.), with everybody and they shot 50% from 3-point range. They don’t take as many, but they obviously shot it well. So for us to shoot as poorly as we did from 3, and still figured out a way to get a win, tells you we’re able to win in multiple ways. They’re a tough team, we ended up outrebounding them by 11. They ended up going smaller for a lot of the second half based on what we were able to do to them on the offensive end, which obviously helped the rebounding but we don’t have to just win one way. For everybody that thinks that when we shoot the ball poorly from 3-point range we lose, we just shot 30% and won the game against a really good team. I think it gives us some confidence we can still win games where we're not making threes.”

Benny’s Breakdown: One of the major differences between last season’s team and this year’s is Alabama’s ability to win in different ways. In the past, when the Crimson Tide couldn’t convert from long-range, it normally resulted in a loss. Now that doesn’t happen as frequently. While it is convenient to have a game-changer like Brandon Miller on your team, Alabama also has plenty of depth at each position. Case and point is a guy like Noah Clowney, who starts games because of his relentless play on the defensive end, but quietly had a double-double tallying 10 points and 13 rebounds. Alabama’s depth is something Oats has harped on all season and it came through once again on Saturday.

On Jahvon Quinerly’s play…

“Listen Jahvon has been in big games. He was the SEC Tournament MVP two years ago. He’s proven he can play at a high level. We’ve been trying to get his defense better, his offense has been getting better and better as the weeks go on in practice. I thought he was much more engaged on the defensive end in this game. We were 48 points per 100 possessions better with him on the floor than when he was off the floor tonight. Offensively we were obviously a lot better with him on the floor tonight. A lot better. There’s gonna be teams that we play that it’s gonna be a bigger difference with him on the floor than otherwise. Defensively, he’s gotta get a little bit better, but I think he’s been trying hard. He gives up some size sometimes when we switch and we’ve been switching a lot. But we don’t win the game if he doesn’t play as well as he does in the second half. We needed him tonight. We’re going to need him going forward. It’s great to see him get his swagger back.”

Benny’s Breakdown: Speaking of depth, there wasn’t a better player on the floor than Quinerly in the second half. While he started the game slowly, scoring just four points in 10 minutes of playing time, the senior turned it on in the second half with 12 points on 5 of 10 shooting along with seven assists. His facilitating helped jumpstart Alabama’s offense, especially during that 17-0 run in the final frame. The run which began at the 15-minute mark gave Alabama the lead for the second time and it wouldn’t be relinquished despite a late push by Arkansas.

On Brandon Miller’s scoring stretch…

“Like I said after the South Carolina game, I think he's the most mentally tough, if not the most mentally tough kids, that I've coached in my life and I’ve been coaching for a while. He completely understands the situation is tragic and he takes it very seriously as he’s been cooperating the whole time. He’s also done a great job being able to focus on practices, games and getting just laser focused where he’s dialed into where his feet are at. You look at how he’s played, he shot the ball well at South Carolina and kind of had everything going. Tonight he didn’t shoot the ball well. He was 1-for-6 from 3 and still winds up with 24 points. He’s got adjustments to his game. He got downhill. I mean he was coming into huddles saying, ‘They’re not going to help off of me. Use me as a screener. Alright, I’m going to screen you because they are not helping off of me. You can get downhill.’ We saw that happen multiple times. He sets the screen, Quinerly gets into the paint, Sears gets into the pain, so he’s got a high IQ and wants to help the team win. It’s really an ‘us’ thing and not a ‘me’ thing with him. I think when fully talented players are fully bought into doing whatever it takes for the team to win, sometimes you see weeks like he’s had. He’s got a special way about getting locked into where he’s currently at, whether it’s practice, games or whatever, focusing in on that and he’s been able to do that this week.”

Benny’s Breakdown: While there has been a lot said about Miller’s performance on the court, this week has exemplified his drive and his ability to perform no matter what is being said about him off the court. There’s not many people who can deal with the pressure and scrutiny he’s dealing with at 20 years old, but he does. Better yet the outside noise has propelled him to the best two-game stretch of his career. His 24 tonight, gives him 65 points over the last two games. Alabama needed every point after back-to-back subpar performances against South Carolina, and now, Arkansas. Regardless of how the team has played, Miller still comes through, leading Alabama to the precipice for another regular-season title.
Why do ya'll always say "regular season title"? You play from November until March and you win the SEC championship. You play for a few days, and it is called the SEC tournament at the end of the season. The tournament is truly meaningless. It's a money making few days for the league, and it gives a few bubble teams a chance to go to the Big Dance. It is so annoying to this fan to hear "regular season title." It is the SEC Championship period.

I hope we play much better defense and keep our future opponents under 70 points a game. It's going to take a stifling defense to make that dream come true, cutting the nets down in Houston.

I have my huge doubts Bama will cut the nets down in Houston. But at least this year it is a legit dream possibility.

Why do ya'll always say "regular season title"? You play from November until March and you win the SEC championship. You play for a few days, and it is called the SEC tournament at the end of the season. The tournament is truly meaningless. It's a money making few days for the league, and it gives a few bubble teams a chance to go to the Big Dance. It is so annoying to this fan to hear "regular season title." It is the SEC Championship period.
I get what you're saying, but I'm a huge fan of the sec tourney in basketball. To me it's at least as important as the regular season title. Guess I call it that too. How you played during the season decides whether you start the gauntlet on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Changes your seeding based on a good or bad weekend, and is a nice tune-up and gauge for the larger tournament you're about to be thrown into (matters much less how you played in December and January than how you're playing in Nashville in March). If you're playing on Saturday/Sunday then you're playing good basketball and it's a big deal to win it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lainey2020
I have my huge doubts Bama will cut the nets down in Houston. But at least this year it is a legit dream possibility.
The odds of winning the tournament are almost always very long, and the best team going into the tournament doesn’t win it more times than not. Growing up, some of the most dominant teams I ever saw didn’t even win it. Houston in ‘83, Georgetown in ‘85, UNLV in ‘91, Duke in ‘02, I even remember two star studded teams that only had 1 loss all year in ‘81, DePaul and Oregon St, lost their 1st games. The tournament is somewhat of a crap shoot, where all you can hope for as a team, and as a fan of one, is to have a good enough squad that you have a legitimate chance from a talent perspective to win it all. This team has that. It is just a shame, that that awful incident is overshadowing this great season they are having, and will be the media’s main talking point about them thru the tournament.

Last edited:
The odds of winning the tournament are almost always very long, and the best team going into the tournament doesn’t win it more times than not. Growing up, some of the most dominant teams I ever saw didn’t even win it. Houston in ‘83, Georgetown in ‘84, UNLV in ‘91, Duke in ‘02, I even remember two star studded teams that only had 1 loss all year in ‘81, DePaul and Oregon St, lost their 1st games. The tournament is somewhat of a crap shoot, where all you can hope for as a team, and as a fan of one, is to have a good enough squad that you have a legitimate chance from a talent perspective to win it all. This team has that. It is just a shame, that that awful incident is overshadowing this great season they are having, and will be the media’s main talking point about them thru the tournament.
I see what you're saying but we could also use the snowflake media as fuel and a "us against the world" mentality.

I see what you're saying but we could also use the snowflake media as fuel and a "us against the world" mentality.
No doubt, and I have thought about that too. Some teams bond better when faced with more criticism and outside adversity. I just think it is a shame that the players on this team should have their season tainted by no fault of their own. It is not fair, but, unfortunately, a lot in life isn’t fair. Hopefully, it makes them stronger and better as people and players vs the opposite.

The odds of winning the tournament are almost always very long, and the best team going into the tournament doesn’t win it more times than not. Growing up, some of the most dominant teams I ever saw didn’t even win it. Houston in ‘83, Georgetown in ‘85, UNLV in ‘91, Duke in ‘02, I even remember two star studded teams that only had 1 loss all year in ‘81, DePaul and Oregon St, lost their 1st games. The tournament is somewhat of a crap shoot, where all you can hope for as a team, and as a fan of one, is to have a good enough squad that you have a legitimate chance from a talent perspective to win it all. This team has that. It is just a shame, that that awful incident is overshadowing this great season they are having, and will be the media’s main talking point about them thru the tournament.
And most years Bama is not a legit contender. I would say the Rocket 8 team would have been a contender if they had been allowed to compete. CM Newtons 75 team I believe it was. That team was a legit contender. Wimp had some great teams but was any of them real contenders? Probably not. Bama's only elite eight team was IMO not a legit contender. So probably one of few times since early 70's Bama fans have had the opportunity to watch a real contender?

And most years Bama is not a legit contender. I would say the Rocket 8 team would have been a contender if they had been allowed to compete. CM Newtons 75 team I believe it was. That team was a legit contender. Wimp had some great teams but was any of them real contenders? Probably not. Bama's only elite eight team was IMO not a legit contender. So probably one of few times since early 70's Bama fans have had the opportunity to watch a real contender?
We had a number of teams imop between ‘84-‘92 that were legitimate contenders, regardless of our seeding. They had the talent to do it. Certainly in ‘87, which I still feel was our best team that I ever watched(I started watching Bama BB in ‘84). The ‘89 and ‘90 teams were underrated as contenders. The 02 and ‘20 teams were legit contenders imop. The Elite 8 team was not imop. Very few for some time(one in the last 20 years coming into this year). BB is not like football though. You can be great one year or for a few and fall off the map in BB. That’s why you have to take advantage of the opportunity when you get it. We have known for well over a decade that the next season, regardless of how the one before it ended, that we were going to be a real legit contender in football. Same for Ohio State and Georgia fans. Who knows with BB. When I was a kid and started watching college BB, DePaul was a blue blood. Then Georgetown was after them. Then UNLV. Look at those programs today. Who is a blue blood in BB anymore? Duke, North Carolina, and Kentucky haven’t even been in the top 25 the last season or two, regardless of their recruiting rankings. Outside of Kansas, maybe there isn’t one anymore.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT