ADVERTISEMENT

Blame the players again…

Wrooooooong. Herb was shown how to lead by his dad. Petty was borderline cancerous until his senior year and Reece was borderline cancerous until halfway through his senior year
That cancerous narrative is complete bullshit made up by posters on this who pretend to be in the know. I don't doubt that Herb and other leads on that team learned some of what they did from home, but you have lost your mind if you don't think Avery Johnson had the ability to show these young men how to be leaders.

Honestly I think it would be completely ridiculous to think that a man known for his leadership and character thought out his 16 year NBA career didn't have the ability to show them how to be leaders. I guess is just a coincidence that after all of his players are gone the biggest problem brought up on this board is that this team lacks leaders...

Reactions: jtr4dad
That cancerous narrative is complete bullshit made up by posters on this who pretend to be in the know. I don't doubt that Herb and other leads on that team learned some of what they did from home, but you have lost your mind if you don't think Avery Johnson had the ability to show these young men how to be leaders.

Honestly I think it would be completely ridiculous to think that a man known for his leadership and character thought out his 16 year NBA career didn't have the ability to show them how to be leaders. I guess is just a coincidence that after all of his players are gone the biggest problem brought up on this board is that this team lacks leaders...
There’s no doubt Avery had a lot to do with their development. Herb had it in him from birth though

Reactions: bet9 and G.O.A.T-23

Not sure you can say complete BS. Didn't Petty miss a game or 2 for an attitude adjustment? Reece had his moments as well. That being said, I'd take those 2 over just about anyone else on this team right now.

Not sure you can say complete BS. Didn't Petty miss a game or 2 for an attitude adjustment? Reece had his moments as well. That being said, I'd take those 2 over just about anyone else on this team right now.
I think he missed one game, and those who claim to be in the know said it was because of poor effort in practice. Even if that was the case, one incident doesn't make you a cancer.

All Reese ever did was come off the bench and be one of the biggest cheerleaders when he wasn't on the floor. Many here got on him a whole lot when his shot wasn't falling and because he wasn't a great defender or rebounder for a kid his size. But he lacked athleticism not heart.

I think he missed one game, and those who claim to be in the know said it was because of poor effort in practice. Even if that was the case, one incident doesn't make you a cancer.

All Reese ever did was come off the bench and be one of the biggest cheerleaders when he wasn't on the floor. Many here got on him a whole lot when his shot wasn't falling and because he wasn't a great defender or rebounder for a kid his size. But he lacked athleticism not heart.
Agree, one or two games doesn't make you a cancer, but it does question your leadership. I was one of those that got on Reese, mainly his first 3 years, but he might be the best all around player if he were on this team.

I never really minded Reese, I actually learned not long ago that he and oats had a very similar relationship to Oats and Miles through about December last year and Reese just decided to completely buy in and Oats absolutely loved him by the end of the year… and it wasn’t due to in court production bc Reese didn’t have a particularly good season

I’ve talked way too much… but I’ll add this: Grant was worse than Oats on this. And I loved Grant. I remember once in particular after we lost at a bad South Carolina team he went off for about 10 minutes on his team’s lack of competitiveness and character

I’ve talked way too much… but I’ll add this: Grant was worse than Oats on this. And I loved Grant. I remember once in particular after we lost at a bad South Carolina team he went off for about 10 minutes on his team’s lack of competitiveness and character
All coaches do it. Saban is known for it in press conferences but for him we view it as him playing mental chess with his team lol. Saban deals with the same leadership issues this team has every few seasons it just manifest itself differently bc we have developed such a huge talent gap in football.

The issue for Oats is it’s a broken record at this point. I don’t think he’s wrong but just find something else to say to the media and to the team bc telling them to play harder isn’t the button to press. At some point those words fall on deaf ears

Reactions: Rolldamnbrice
I'm sorry but throwing the ball to the other team over and over again is not the coaches fault. These guys are supposed to be D1 level talent. I learned at a early age not to throw the ball to the other team. Also they need to stop slapping at the ball and actually try and catch it. It was like they had lube on their hands last night.

Reactions: bet9
I have a theory. I know our walk ons run the other teams offense and sets, but that’s not the same.
I just wonder if our guys are so accustomed to playing man to man against our own offense, where there is no off ball screens and no movement and that’s what they see most of the time from each other that it’s just harder to adjust to the other…
I haven’t been able to tell for us on tv but I thought this was probably an issue but I could see it last night so much better. JQ had much more room to drive it last year bc we had more and better shooters. Heck, last night one time we had Gary, Miles and Rojas on the court. JQ and JD aren’t going to have any room to drive with those guys in the corners bc people aren’t scared of getting beat by them.
I get this is what Oats does. And people say our offense isn’t the problem. I disagree. Each end affects the other. Turnovers kill the defense. Shooting fast affects the defense, especially a poor defense. You get more possessions but so does the other team. The more threes you shoot, the better chance of long rebounds that turn into fast breaks. I get it, this is just what he does. But some adjustments on offense could help this defense.
And maybe apply a little less pressure on D since we can’t keep the ball in front? Maybe don’t pick the ball up at half court every time and help a little harder more so than deny passes?
Or keep doing everything the same and blame the players bc obviously they can’t do some of these things very well.
Find another hobby….

This team has 1st round upset alwrt written all over it! Especially in a 12 5 matchup!

The crazy thing about the tournament though is you only have to play hard for 5 games! And thats what makes it exciting!🙏🙏🏿🙏🏽🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Codie B
The crazy thing about the tournament though is you only have to play hard for 5 games! And thats what makes it exciting!🙏🙏🏿🙏🏽🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Yep. We saw what UCLA did last year, and # 1 seed Virginia lost by 20 a few years before. It’s a crap shoot, but, the odds still favor the best teams coming in to, at least, make it to the final 4.

Reactions: jmillerbama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT