ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting BONE: Monday morning notes...

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
The latest on Najee

Weather delays in Detroit on Sunday prevented Alabama from having an in-home visit with Najee Harris on Sunday evening. Alabama still feels good about Najee. I've seen some Michigan reports saying it's close to 50-50. Nobody in Tuscaloosa believes that is the case. You never really know what is going through a recruit's mind.

Najee was in town for the Iron Bowl. He was in Ann Arbor for a non-game weekend. He only cares about football. Has never been interested in the recruiting side of things. I expect Najee to stick. It will surprise me if he goes elsewhere.

Leatherwood flirting?

It's innocent. The five-star Crimson Tide commitment has enjoyed taking official visits including stops last week to Auburn and Florida. Leatherwood has told me for several months he is only taking official visits to enjoy the recruiting process. Alabama does not have much concern about a possible flip from Leatherwood. He has been one of the Tide's best recruiters. Coach Brent Key had an in-home visit with him on Sunday night.

Concern with Jeudy?

There are some reports of five-star wide receiver Jerry Jeudy considering a flip to Miami. Yes, Jeudy took an official visit to Miami this weekend. Yes, Calvin Ridley and Amari Cooper did the same. Yes, the same reports came out both were strongly considering flips to Miami. I expect the same thing to happen with Jeudy- he'll sign with Alabama.

I know there are some reports of his sister recently dying could change his mind to stay home. I don't think it will. Alabama assistant coaches Mario Cristobal and Billy Napier had an in-home visit with Jeudy on Sunday evening after his official visit. Alabama remains confident he will stick with his commitment.

Buggs to decide on Wednesday

Isaiah Buggs, five-star defensive tackle from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College in Perkinston, will announce a decision on Wednesday. Crazy how quickly things can change. The Dunbar in-home visit with his family two weeks ago (without Buggs in attendance) could have really turned things in the right direction for the Crimson Tide.

All the momentum seemed to shift last week, and the official visit couldn't have been any better. There is always the possibility of something changing between now and Wednesday. Alabama seems in good position as of today. His mom lives in Louisiana, but she is not pressuring him to stay close to home. He is making his own decision.

Kaindoh a legit possibility?

Josh Kaindoh, five-star defensive end from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, will announce his decision at the UA All-America game. The former Maryland commitment was in Tuscaloosa on official visit this past weekend. Kaindoh seems to have a lot of interest in Alabama. Coach Tosh Lupoi has done a very good recruiting him. Many believe Kaindoh will announce for FSU. Alabama believes its in the race. Not ready to make a final prediction just yet, but probably leaning toward FSU.

So who is Chauncey Rivers?

Chauncey Rivers is a former Rivals100 defensive lineman who signed with Georgia in 2015. Rivers was dismissed from the Georgia program after three marijuana arrests in six months. He enrolled at East Mississippi in Scooba. Rivers made at least one visit to Alabama this fall.

Up until the last few weeks there was some growing concern about the defensive line numbers in the 2017 class. I know, shocking! Alabama started exploring all avenues. JuCo ranks (outside of guys they were previously recruiting) and potential graduate transfers. I think a grad-transfer remains in-play, but we won't know any names until later.

Rivers took an official visit to Alabama this past weekend. I know some are saying he is a take. That decision has yet to be reached, and some on the staff are against it. Rivers is considered a 'back-up' plan at this time. Bama is waiting to see what Buggs decides to do with signs pointing in the Crimson Tide direction.

DL numbers are critical. Buggs, Javon Kinlaw, Aubrey Solomon, LaBryan Ray, Phildarian Mathis are all priority targets.

A late addition to the official visitor group

Markeviest Bryant, three-star defensive end from Crisp County High School in Cordele, Georgia, took an official visit to Alabama this past weekend. Bryant has been one of those names mentioned for several months. He's been in Tuscaloosa a lot since the start of his recruitment. Alabama likes him a lot. They believe he is good enough to be in this class, and right there with some other guys who are committed. At the same time the numbers are just not in his favor to have a spot in this class. I've heard the staff may have pushed for him if Moses decide to flip.

A few additional notes

-Alabama is in very good shape for Jarez Parks....

- Alabama is making a very strong push for Isaiah Wilson, five-star offensive tackle form Poly Prep HS in Brooklyn, New York. He has moved way up on the priority target board. Wilson will announce on Friday. Very close....Bama/Michigan

-The staff is still looking to add at least one more safety and cornerback. Deangelo Gibbs loves Alabama, but in-state pressure may be too much. Xavier McKInney remains in play. Bama/Clemson battle.

-Bama still feels very good about it's current position with Henry Ruggs.

-Major impact in recruiting with Kiffin leaving? No

Enjoy!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News