ADVERTISEMENT

BONE: Weekend thoughts

Andrew Bone

BamaInsider Senior Recruiting Analyst
Jun 24, 2012
Alabama
Bama wins again

Didn't former Alabama national champion QB Greg McElroy say before the start of the season Alabama would lose 1 game this year and to Arkansas? Maybe he changed his mind prior to the game. I did not see his predictions. Of course you don't know how the season is going to play out with uncertainty at QB. Alabama has its man at the QB position.

Arkansas has played Alabama close the last two years, but the Razorbacks were simply outmatched against superior talent on both sides of the ball.

Austin Allen passed for 400 yards against Alabama's defense on Saturday. I think I was more impressed with Allen than shocked about all the big plays given up by the defense. He took a beating all night and kept delivering. The one bright spot in the secondary was of course Minkah Fitzpatrick with three picks including the one returned for a 100 yard TD.

The running game sure is rolling right now. I thought Damien Harris looked terrific in his return.

For teams to beat Alabama this year they are going to have to outscore them. I just don't think anyone will be able to do that especially with Alabama's great defense. The offense is rolling right now. We'll see how they fare in Knoxville this weekend and again next week at home against A&M.

Alabama certainly looks the part of a championship caliber team, but we'll know more about this team in the next two weeks.

A&M survives scare from UT

There was no way Tennessee was going to come from behind yet again down 28-7 on the road at Texas A&M right? I thought it was a miraculous comeback attempt by the Vols. When A&M lined up for the game winning field goal at the end of regulation. I thought there is no way he makes this attempt. Once he missed it I thought there was no way A&M would win the game.

The Aggies won. It was a pretty wild game. Tennessee has so many injuries. It's crazy how many guys have gone down for the Vols. It's also crazy how many turnovers they had in the game. Turn the ball over like that against Alabama and Neyland Stadium will only have Alabama fans in it in the fourth quarter this weekend.

The U is back

I don't know how many of you have paid attention to the lackluster support given by Miami fans throughout the last several years. The stadium has been half empty on most Saturdays. FSU came into town on Saturday and upset the Hurricanes. Miami fans reacted in the old school U fashion.

trash2.0.gif

What is happening at Stanford?
Stanford looks downright atrocious. They have some injuries, but back-to-back blow out losses to Washington and Washington State should have some fans worried. Christian McCaffery is not winning the Heisman this year. He likely Is not invited to New York. Stanford's schedule actually sets up nice for them. All winnable games, but could also lose several. Stanford at Notre Dame this weekend. Remember when it was supposed to be a big one?

Auburn starting to make a little noise

I may get blasted for talking about Auburn, but their defense under Kevin Steele has looked very good. They manhandled Mississippi State on Saturday. Auburn has recruited extremely well on the DL the last few years. Almost all were heavily recruited and wanted by Alabama- Carl Lawson (late), Derrick Brown, Montravious Adams and Marlon Davidson.

A lot of Auburn fans were ready for Gus to get the ax earlier this season after losses to Texas A&M and Clemson. Those two loses don't look so bad. Auburn has a tough task going to Ole Miss in two weeks. I think they will beat Arkansas this weekend. There is a good chance AU comes to Tuscaloosa with only three loses.

Washington is for real
Washington will win the Pac-12. I think so at least. They scored 70.....70 at Oregon. Oregon isn't good, but that's a lot of freaking points on the road especially after a big win against Stanford (well we thought was) last week. Who can potentially beat Washington? They play at Utah in two weeks and at Washington State on November 25. I see no way they lose to Oregon State, Cal, USC or Arizona State. Also QB Jake Browning is now in the Heisman conversation.

Heisman Contenders
1. Lamar Jackson (Louisville)
2. J.T. Barrett (Ohio State)
3. Jake Browning (Washington)
4. Jabrill Peppers (Michigan)
5. Greg Ward Jr. (Houston)

My current playoff predictions
1. Bama vs. 4. Clemson
2. Ohio State vs. 3. Washington

Coaches on the rise (Power 5)
1. Chris Peterson (Washington)
-The embarrassing back-to-back beat downs Washington put on Stanford and Oregon certainly have the everyone's attention. Peterson is a very hot name, but may not want to leave Washington.

2. Mike Leach (Washington State)
-It was only a matter of time until he turned around one of the worst programs in the country. Schools are crazy not to talk to him. Impressive beat down at Stanford on Saturday.

3. Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech)
-Really didn't think Fuente would have a big impact in his first year with the Hokies, but after a 34-3 win at UNC on Saturday that's not the case. VT has a chance to finish undefeated in the ACC.

4. Kevin Sumlin (Texas A&M)
-Remember when Sumlin was on the hot seat? No longer the case with a 6-0 record. He's a hot name once again. Will he leave the SEC if another program comes calling?

5. Dave Clawson (Wake Forest)
-I consider Wake Forest's win at Indiana a little more impressive now after the Hoosiers played Ohio State tough on Saturday. Wake Forest is 5-1. Tough games coming up for Wake against FSU, Louisville and Clemson, but only one loss at this point is impressive.

Time to move on (Power 5)
1. Charlie Strong (Texas)
-Yeah, he's gone.

2. Mark Helfrich (Oregon)
-You gave up 70 points at home. Ducks are on a four game losing streak. Different uniform combinations don't produce better defenses.

3. Derek Mason (Vanderbilt)
-He's likely not in Nashville next year, but how good does Vanderbilt really expect to be in the SEC?

4. Brian Kelly (Notre Dame)
-That six year contract extension given by Notre Dame to Kelly in January looks a little silly now.

5. Dan Mullen (Mississippi State)
-Three losses. Road games still to come at BYU, Alabama and Ole Miss. Home games against Texas A&M and Arkansas. Things just aren't the same without Dak.

Games on tap
Alabama at Tennessee
Ohio State at Wisconsin
N.C. State at Clemson
Ole Miss at Arkansas
North Carolina at Miami

NFL Power Rankings
1. New England Patriots
-Brady looked in mid-season form on Sunday. Not good for the rest of the NFL.

2. Minnesota Vikings
-Defense continues to seek and destroy.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers
- Big Ben, Antonio Brown, and Le'Veon Bell on the same team just isn't fair. Former Leroy HS and Auburn standout Sammie Coates also had a big game. I was always very high on him coming out of HS. Thought Alabama really missed on not offering him.

4. Atlanta Falcons
-How about them Dirty Birds? Talk about the offense all you want. The defense has been impressive. Big win on the road against Denver.

5. Seattle Seahawks
-Seahawks got a week off which helps with injuries. They still good.

6. Green Bay Packers
-Packers run defense is scary good. Eddie Lacy, before ankle injury, looked great last night.

7. Denver Broncos
-Still good. Falcons were just better which is still surprising.

8. Philadelphia Eagles
-Tough loss on the road to the Lions. They still have one of the best teams in the league.

9. Dallas Cowboys
-Ok so I'm probably going to take some heat for not having the Cowboys ahead of the Eagles. I just like the Eagles' defense a little bit better. I don't know who I would take as my QB between Dak and Wentz. Two super impressive rookie QBs.

10. Oakland Raiders
-Yes, the Raiders are 4-1. Yes, Amari Cooper scored his first TD of the season. Yet, he ranks in the top five in receiving yards in the NFL. (Julio is No.3).

proxy.jpg

Miscellaneous
1. Kenneth Bone and I are not related, but he is an American hero. Did you see his amazing use of the kodak disposable camera? I didn't even know those things still existed.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/AA...p4?versionId=FXaazOGlNoSFi3HyWXs_9PZiSLj53RLy

2. My favorite band, Phish, released their 13th studio album on Friday. I've heard several of the songs throughout the summer tour. I certainly have enjoyed a few including Breath and Burning, Blaze On and No Men In No Man's Land. The rest of the album was OK. I think Phish just wanted to release another studio album. Phish Phans don't listen to them for the studio albums. It's all about the live concerts with a catalog of more than 350 songs that dates back to the late 1980s. I'll be in Nashville next week to see them!

200.gif

3. The Toronto Blue Jays are heading to the ALCS

4. A few big baseball games today. Cleveland can also earn a berth in the ALCS as they lead Boston 2-0 in the series. Red Sox (World Series favorite) certainly do not want to lose at Fenway. Cubs vs. Giants. Cubs can win the series with a win. Arrieta vs. Bumgarner. It doesn't get much better.

5. Reminder: I host trivia night at Sky Castle in Birmingham every Tuesday night. Prizes after each round and $100 cash to the winner. We've had great turn outs each week. Please come say hello if you make it up there one week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News